• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Does anyone know of a good watch that has an accurate compass feature? I've found a few but they're either entirely too expensive or they don't seem to work. I don't need a swiss army watch with a lot of features I'm never going to use; like a barometer, altimeter, etc. I just want a good compass watch. One of the most important features I'm looking for is the ability to constantly stay on compass mode. All of the watches I've seen only allow you stay on time mode, then by pressing a button it switches to compass mode for a few seconds. I don't like that feature. So, anyone know of a watch like that?

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Suuntos seem to have reliable electronics, but the quality of the cases and bezels seems to have decreased. Read some reviews on the Casio Pathfinder; not many find it accurate. I'd be interested to see what you end up with.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    When I did my research I couldnt find very many negatives on the watch. It faired better in my opinion than most others. While it has been accurate for me I cant comment on the thousands they put out.

Here is a video of a review someone did:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrLuyrk78tM]YouTube - Casio Pathfinder PAG-40 Watch Review[/ame]

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You cant afford a good watch and a quality compass?

Who was this comment directed at and what was the purpose?

No one knows what his budget is, only that he wants a watch with a compass built in. Are you saying that a watch with this feature that is GOOD isnt on teh market? I gues I'm not understanding something.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If I use the sundial to get to my stand in the morning, do I just use a flashlight in the dark? Thanks Mr O!

It works just like that little light button on a Casio Pathfinder except you don't have to keep hitting the refresh button to keep it current past the first 60 seconds.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    When I did my research I couldnt find very many negatives on the watch. It faired better in my opinion than most others. While it has been accurate for me I cant comment on the thousands they put out.

Here is a video of a review someone did:

YouTube - Casio Pathfinder PAG-40 Watch Review

I've got one of those. I was just chomping at the bit to recomend it. I love it, and then I read this...

...I don't need a swiss army watch with a lot of features I'm never going to use; like a barometer, altimeter, etc. I just want a good compass watch. One of the most important features I'm looking for is the ability to constantly stay on compass mode...

I like those features and use them regularly but he says he doesn't. The compass also gives a good frequent up date the first minute or so after selecting it but then even though it stays in compass mode it doesn't update the reading very often unless you push the button again.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Here is a quick picture I took of my PF against a compass. Maybe they were made at the same plant in China cause they both seem to be spot on.

At the end of the day you have to be realistic about your expectations. A watch that cost less than $200 that is expected to carry out several functions will not have the same accuracy as a proffesional gauge designed to carry out 1 feature.

Would I sail to Key West with my PathFinder, no. But it will help me get out of any KFC in Gary, Trailer Park in Portage ot escape the wanna bes in St. John.

DSC_0067.jpg

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    You cant afford a good watch and a quality compass?

Afford is a relative term. All I was saying is that I don't want to spend $500 on a watch. The main reason I want the watch is for the compass. For the way in which I will be using the watch, an accurate compass is much more necessary that a clock feature. I will need to be getting relatively accurate directional readings quickly, hence the need for the watch to stay in compass mode.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've got one of those. I was just chomping at the bit to recomend it. I love it, and then I read this...

I like those features and use them regularly but he says he doesn't. The compass also gives a good frequent up date the first minute or so after selecting it but then even though it stays in compass mode it doesn't update the reading very often unless you push the button again.

And I want a wife that:

a) Has smokin good looks and a awesome body
    b) Loves sex 24/7
    c) never *****es and complains.

I got A, proving we don't always get what we want! LOL

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    And I want a wife that:

a) Has smokin good looks and a awesome body
    b) Loves sex 24/7
    c) never *****es and complains.

I got A, proving we don't always get what we want! LOL

I want you to have all that you desire and for her to have a blind, widowed sister who's dead husband left her stuck with a liguor store and a 20 foot Stratos bass boat he never lived long enough to take on a maiden cruise. It would help if you could get her to move next door.:dunno:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    It isnt directed towards anyone in particular. It just seems odd to invest in a watch/compass that is battery powered since batteries fail. Everyone seems to be preparing for SHTF but you want a battery powered multi function watch/compass? Would that be so you could stare at a blank screen when the batteries go dead. How about a really good watch and some mil surplus compasses so you can put one almost everywhere (compass.)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It isnt directed towards anyone in particular. It just seems odd to invest in a watch/compass that is battery powered since batteries fail. Everyone seems to be preparing for SHTF but you want a battery powered multi function watch/compass? Would that be so you could stare at a blank screen when the batteries go dead. How about a really good watch and some mil surplus compasses so you can put one almost everywhere (compass.)

Both the items I've commented positively on are solar powered. So long as the sun shines they will work and work very well.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't know what your timetable is for purchasing but about a month ago I could've gotten a Pathfinder watch for $100. Kohls had all Casio watches on sale at 20% off and because I have a credit card with them I periodically receive coupons for additional percentages off. I got one for 30% this time, and since they retail for $200 at Kohls...well you get the idea. Even if it had been a coupon for 15% that's still a decent discount. You also get the discount on internet purchases during the alloted time, if they don't have it in stock at your nearest store. Just something you might consider if you're really limited on funds and aren't in a big hurry. FYI, I got another coupon last week, for 15%. You never know what it will be, but odds are good they will have watches already on sale when you get the coupon.

Top Bottom