• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    The Ruger American or just about anything from Savage is the rout I would go. I sold off my Remington 700 a couple of years ago....was having trigger "problems", and after a three month wait to get it back, I traded it off. I just could not trust it anymore, but my Ruger American in 5.56/.223? Oh buddy, it is accurate!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    As others have said, you can get a much nicer rifle than a Remington for $900. For your stated purpose, Savage, Mossberg, Browning, Tikka, CZ, Howa, Winchester and Ruger all make good options. Personally I would choose an M77 over an American from Ruger and I would try to handle as many as possible before making a choice. The .308 is a fine caliber choice (since when is it a big bore though, lol) and IMO, a lot more sensible than several of the other suggestions.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As others have said, you can get a much nicer rifle than a Remington for $900. For your stated purpose, Savage, Mossberg, Browning, Tikka, CZ, Howa, Winchester and Ruger all make good options. Personally I would choose an M77 over an American from Ruger and I would try to handle as many as possible before making a choice. The .308 is a fine caliber choice (since when is it a big bore though, lol) and IMO, a lot more sensible than several of the other suggestions.

Amen, bro, amen.
    Ruger_M77_30-06.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had terrific experience with the Remington 700 lineup in recent years. Most are sub MOA out of the box, and one in particular is 1/2. The X Mark trigger blows, I'll give you that. But a Timney 510 is an easy fix for that.

The VTR is a bit of an odd duck, but I've been fascinated by it as well. The muzzle brake cuts on the end of the barrel are what have kept me from buying one, simply because I like to thread most of my bolt guns and shoot them suppressed.

Lots of great options out there like the Ruger M77, Winchester Model 70, Savage model 10/110, Tikka T3, etc....

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Tikka T3, Thompson Center Venture, Savage 10,
    Ruger american, ruger precision
    ... all fine and with some variety and options available

Top Bottom