• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I'm at a loss on how to proceed from here and could use advise.

Four years ago we bought our dream house and it had a 3 year old heating/cooling system. Every year the air has been out and it's getting frustrating that every year I have to put money into something that should be worry free.

System is
    Trane XL16i outside unit
    Heat Pump Pro by Arzel (with 4 zone transformer)
    Trane XB80 furnace

3 summers ago (we moved in and the system was 4yr old) went to start it up and nothing. Found the info for the company that installed it they came out and told me compressor was bad. Trane only warranties to the orginal buyer but the company was nice enough to write up so Trane covered the part but not labor. $1700 labor bill I had to pay.

2 summers ago (now 5yr old system) fired the air up and nothing! Called the install company out and found that the coils inside were bad and freezing solid. Again they wrote it so Trane covered the part and I paid labor $1800 bill for me.

Last year (6yr old system) fired the air up and warm air. Called the company out and they found the system had no freon recharged for free but told me that if it leaked out again that they would charge me. Air worked perfect all summer. When they charged it they said they put dye in it to detect for leaks and found none.

This year fire the air up and warm air. I assume that it's out of freon again and I'm pissed. I'm guessing it will be $500-600 bill to recharge it. My wife says not to use the company that orginal installed but I'm worried if it's something else that I'll be screwed for parts and labor with a new company. At least with the orginal company I know that they will write it so Trane covers the parts.

Any advise on what I should do? I thought nothing stops a Trane but this system is junk and I'm already $3500 into it and dread every year when summer comes because I know it won't work. Hopefully the dye they put in last year can be found to find the leak if it is leaking but last year they told me that they could not find any leaks but if it was small that it might take all summer and winter to leak out.

jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    I can tell you that you have been screwed a few times now. I'm not in residential anymore but $1700 labor on a compressor is way out of wack, coils dont go bad you freeze from Low on freon or lack of airflow. Find a Trane dealer you can trust. I will say I am not a Trane fan.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st you are getting hosed on the labor. Hosed.
    2nd, that is one of the high end Trane heat pumps. If it was put in badly it will be trouble.
    3rd, the coil was freezing over because it was low on refrigerant. Seems it has been leaking for a while. Those coils do not fail in that fashion unless it had an obvious leak in it. And yeah, you got hosed on the labor.

Thing is with these crazy 17 seer systems you have to use a Trane certified company to get the parts for them.
    There are a couple of really good techs on Ingo that might be close enough to you to look for and find the leak which is most likely all that is really wrong with the system.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can tell you that you have been screwed a few times now. I'm not in residential anymore but $1700 labor on a compressor is way out of wack, coils dont go bad you freeze from Low on freon or lack of airflow. Find a Trane dealer you can trust. I will say I am not a Trane fan.

I guess I type to slow....:):

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    They done you no favor or paper work for the compressor. $1700 covers the parts and labor. I have never changed that amount for a warranty job.

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I figured I was getting screwed over with labor costs, I figured the install company would know how the system was set up and be the best bet for work.
    Anyone near Valparaiso (NW Indiana) AC guys that want to take a look at it and make some money?
    Send me a PM if you can take a look at it. I know it's hot and busy time of year but any help would be greatly appreciated

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I figured I was getting screwed over with labor costs, I figured the install company would know how the system was set up and be the best bet for work.
    Anyone near Valparaiso (NW Indiana) AC guys that want to take a look at it and make some money?
    Send me a PM if you can take a look at it. I know it's hot and busy time of year but any help would be greatly appreciated

Keep this thread bumped to the top. Some one will see it and respond.

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Bumping this up to the top, hopefully a fellow member wants to make some money and help me out. If not I will be calling around tomorrow to try and find a company

i just realized I never changed my location. I am in Valparaiso not Lowell anymore

Top Bottom