• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've purchased bags from Caldwell that were empty.
    But I haven't made any from scratch.

If I were going to start from a fresh slate, and not hoping to use sandbags to absorb a .338 lapua; I'd most likely head to the Costco or grocery store. I would get a 20lb bag of rice for the front. And a 3lb bag for the rear.

Be sure to use the uncoiled variety if given the chance.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    In the past I've used shot bags filled with rice, and they worked fine. I also found that overfilling is worse than underfilling. Need a little slack to get a good channel for the stock to ride in plus when firing the gun doesn't try to jump away from the bags as much.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'd recommend using something other than sand. Eventually the sand leaks and can cause problems ranging from a mess, potential to scratch/abrasive, to getting in your gun and causing malfunctions.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Back in the 80's the field expedient method in the 82nd for a rear bag was a wool sock filled with dirt and tied. I does work, but it's messy by civilian standards.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I have bought EMPTY 50lbs bags of rice at a local oriental food store for $1.00. I would guess the local organic framer and other farmers have the type of bags for sale. Go to LOWES and ........... Shop QUIKRETE 50-lbs Play Sand at Lowes.com Loew's isn't your only option for sand.

Slip the rice bag over the sand bag and bingo. I you want to make it more flexible empty 30 to 40 lbs of sand into the into the rice bag or a used pillow case. I have done this both ways. I take 20 or so lbs out the cover the rice bag with the pillow case.I do this for 2 reasons. One is for looks cleaner. The pillow case holds holds the sand in place as holes get punched into the rice bag.When the sand bag gets banged up from shooting I empty it into the front of the back stop or place another pillow case over the old one. For any leftover sand? find some Royal Crown bags, fill the and bingo a nice soft front sight.

The second reason is for weight. Big difference caring 40- 50 lbs vs 20 to 39 lbs.

I just thought of this, when the rear bags wear out throw another used pillow case you have to cover the rear sight bag again. Slip the old one right over it for the rear rifle rests.

Now matter how you do it it will be cheap and cheap is good. Two Free is better but.................

Last edited:

stoutguinness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Carmel
    In Iraq we used sand and a sock. I have a nicer bag made from nylon that I filled with sand that I use now, but my socks lasted a year before I traded up. Never had any issues with leaking sand. My instructor was against using rice due to bugs and if the sock ever got wet, but I never tried it myself. Personally, a good hiking sock and some sand is a sure bet. You make a tube that you can fold and mold and pinch to get the right position. Use your range bag or quality bipod for the front.

P.s. my buddy still has his sock with sand in it and it's 8 years old now, though admittedly has not seen near as much use these last 3 or 4 years.

Top Bottom