• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wondering if there are any guys with bombed trucks here?? I have a 05 chevy duramax, with suncoast IV tranny, lift pump, and custom tuning. It is enough to get me in trouble and plan on going to ORP when spring gets here. Been considering water/meth but my lift pump is dying so that will be put on hold.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    06 6.0 Ford, motor bone stock and boring, 35's, Airlockers, winch, compressor and airtanks. Work and hunt truck, crewcab, to take the wif and 4 kids hunting out west. I dream about dropping in big power, but would rather keep my warranty.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I want a Duramax 2500 someday and I know that you dont have to do much to get these trucks moving.... Boost controllers are the best way to go IMHO.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Remember when the duramax came out was delayed about 6 months?

The reason was because the tranny couldn't handle the power and guess how they fixed it, they detuned the engine so if you hop the motor up be ready for 5000.00+ for a tranny.

BTW ATRA told us about a guy that had over 1000hp and torque and they had built a tranny that could handle it but he was now ripping axles out.

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    This is the best I can do for now.

IMGA8266.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    04 Dodge 2500 4x4 w/ Cummins. Pretty darn good stock (325hp/610lb-ft), although it does have a cold air box and 4" exhaust. I also have an Edge Box for it, but the truck drives better without it.

04DodgeDec08.jpg

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    chevy 2500 turbo diesel allison 6 tranny

Runs better on WVO, but too cold for that without a heater conversion tank.

pictures..

IMGA8912.jpg

IMGA8913.jpg

IMGA8914.jpg

IMGA8915.jpg

IMGA8917.jpg

IMGA8919.jpg

Does better on the Highway but for the size and amount of city driving lately the mpg isn't too bad.

hauled pigs in it this week, drove around tree down on my driveway. Generally nice to have a truck that can do most any job I'll be throwing at it.
    Drives great on ice too. I just don't like the push button 4 wheel drive. The 6speed allison took some getting used to also. Now the mini van seems like a go cart to drive. Being a Ford person there was a time that I wouldn't have even looked at a Chevy. This Chevy has proved it self to me. It isn't the prettiest but with the towing package and handling packages along with the motor transmission combo, I like it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    32MPG!!! Have you verified that at the pump by dividing mileage/by gallons you've put in? Diesels are great for fuel economy, but that's almost too good to be true in that big of a trcuk!! If it is, I wanna know your secret. :)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So what's the secret? That' nearly 2x what a bone stock truck gets off the show-room floor?

P.S. I've spent the last 8 years as an engineer in the diesel industry, so my interest is definitely piqued!

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    We don't stomp it. We smoothly accelerate. Cruise control is our friend. We haven't done anything to it. The only time we do something to it outside of oil change, etc is when we use WVO in the warmer weather.

WVO makes the engine quieter and the mileage is about the same.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    So what's the secret? That' nearly 2x what a bone stock truck gets off the show-room floor?

P.S. I've spent the last 8 years as an engineer in the diesel industry, so my interest is definitely piqued!

Our truck is stock off the floor. from what I have been told we get better milage because of the higher geared transmission.

WVO didn't raise the milage, but made the motor run quieter and hand more power. Not tested but felt power. Noticed when it was pushed especially.

if we drive stop and go traffic all day long the milage is slightly over 20mpg. We live 7 miles outside town and there is a highway 1/2 mile from our drive way so we are up to speed quickly.

THis summer I/we will be doing more testng and tweaking with the WVO. It is just too good not to.

Sorry there isn't better answers. only had it 9 months and it met every work or distance test we're pit to it so far. Recently we went to buffalo ny and back in less than 24 hours. Turned out to be 1400 miles all said and done. The average for this trip was 35.7 mpg.

The control in Mud, Snow and Ice is excelent. The 4WD low kept the truck above the mud and not plowing threw it. 4wd high driving on 63 coated with ice was effortless.

I bought the truck used. Nothing under the hood looks other than stock components.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sometimes the simplest way to improve MPG is just as you say, through being gentle with the accellerator pedal, and using cruise as you say.

So, bone stock 05 Chevy's with the Duramax get 30+mpg? Maybe I should trade off my Dodge...best I can do is 20. I could squeeze out 21-22 out of my 2001 Dodge, but that still doesn't meet your number.

I think there's something you aren't telling us.;) Either way, aren't diesel's awesome!

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have never had a diesel, but I had an '05 Silverado for a while, buddy had basically the same truck in Dodge and I always got a little better milage, even if I drove both trucks the Chevy did better.

It is amazaing how changing driving habits help you, crusie control, break easy, accelerate slow, inflate tires, etc. I will do wonders.

Top Bottom