• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ... (so sayeth some "top 10 dumbest dog breeds lists type things).

Really? Or should I rephrase with: Did you really think you would not catch some flack for that statement?

My many years experience with Beagles:

-They want nothing more than to make you happy.
    -They want nothing more than to get your attention.
    -They want nothing more than to get their bowl refilled.

My Beagles have been natural born rabbit hunters - no training required.
    My Beagles have relieved me of any need to remove moles from my back yard.
    My Beagles have relieved me of any need for a home alarm system.
    My Beagles have learned every verbal and hand signal I have tried to teach them.
    My Beagles have lived longer than any other bread I've had (15 years current record).

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

Your point is only your experience. I simply made a statement that, in FACT, beagles have made some folks' Top 10 Least Intelligent Dogs lists.

Argue with the maker of the lists. I'm merely repeating what I've read.

Top 10 Smartest and Dumbest Dog Breeds

Top 10 Least Intelligent Dogs | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

Of course, you can also find similar lists where beagles don't appear.

Perhaps your beagles have been smart...for a beagle.

-J-

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What you just described, is every dog I've owned in the past.
    That's a description for every GOOD family pet.

Fact is, beagles aren't that bright. BUT, it doesn't make them bad pets.

Really? Or should I rephrase with: Did you really think you would not catch some flack for that statement?

My many years experience with Beagles:

-They want nothing more than to make you happy.
    -They want nothing more than to get your attention.
    -They want nothing more than to get their bowl refilled.

My Beagles have been natural born rabbit hunters - no training required.
    My Beagles have relieved me of any need to remove moles from my back yard.
    My Beagles have relieved me of any need for a home alarm system.
    My Beagles have learned every verbal and hand signal I have tried to teach them.
    My Beagles have lived longer than any other bread I've had (15 years current record).

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Cute beagle!
    Give her a couple weeks and she might lose the whinning, etc.
    I've had beagles before for rabbit hunting. Got rid of them years ago because deer hunting took all my time. [big rabbits!]
    We now have a part beagle part sumptin else? She is black and brindle. 22 pounder who is smart as a tack.
    Trained her in 1.5 weeks on an Invisible Fence. She now sits on the edge and looks at rabbits just out of reach. That has to be hard.
    House trained, plays fetch, and she is crate trained. [she stays in the house]
    Trained her not to jump up on people, and on furniture.
    We also have an indoor Invisible Fence so it keeps her confined to certain rooms in the house and other areas are off limits.
    They are easily trained to behave the way you want them to.
    Good luck with your new dog!

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    She's such a sweet dog, but she's getting on my nerves...She follows me around everywhere, but she's scared to go up and down the stairs so she whines for me to get her...When I try to sit down on the couch, she jumps in front of me and sits in my spot. When I go to move her, she's like a stone.:):

I know it's probably a tough question, but judging by the picture would anyone have any idea about how old she is? I could take better pictures if need be.

She does seem to sleep/lounge a lot if that helps, but I think that could be due to stress of a new home and/or stress from my hyperactive GSD(who has actually been pretty gentle around her, but she's still indifferent about him).
    Our first lab was like that. We got her when she was about 6 months old. she had never been exposed to stairs before living with us. Going up she was fine, but she didn't want to come down at all. Patience, praise, and judicious application of treats, worked for us. Take it one step at a time, literally, and she'll figure it out pretty quickly. We went from scared and whining, to chasing a racquet ball down the stairs at warp speed in a couple of days.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I just dropped Iza(bella) off over by St. Johns. She was 2-3 miles away from where she lives.

This lady has a bunch of rescue dogs and Bella is the only one she's paid for. She was actually supposed to leave town tomorrow, but was cancelling her plans if her puppy(she is 2 BTW) didn't show up because she was too sick to her stomach.

The reason she didn't have a collar on is because she wiggled out of it and squeezed under the fence.

Well, I'm little sad to see her go and more importantly I'm not looking forward to telling my kid she's gone, but I'm really happy I got to make someone's day today.

She told me where she lives and I know exactly where it is, so I'll probably take Xander over there to see her one more time maybe this weekend.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I just dropped Iza(bella) off over by St. Johns. She was 2-3 miles away from where she lives.

This lady has a bunch of rescue dogs and Bella is the only one she's paid for. She was actually supposed to leave town tomorrow, but was cancelling her plans if her puppy(she is 2 BTW) didn't show up because she was too sick to her stomach.

The reason she didn't have a collar on is because she wiggled out of it and squeezed under the fence.

Well, I'm little sad to see her go and more importantly I'm not looking forward to telling my kid she's gone, but I'm really happy I got to make someone's day today.

She told me where she lives and I know exactly where it is, so I'll probably take Xander over there to see her one more time maybe this weekend.

Sad for you but good for the owner. 2-3 miles away, she caught a scent!!

You did good Benny

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I was expecting to see a few tears, but I should have known better...I broke the news to Xander that "Annie's" Mommy and Daddy came to get her and they are really happy to have her back.

Instead of whining he just told me he's happy that they are happy. I ended up being the one that almost shed a tear.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That's a description for every GOOD family pet.

True.

Perhaps your beagles have been smart...for a beagle. -J-

Also true.

I've been around Labs, Goldens, Mutts, & Beagles. I just never thought they were 'dumb' dogs. Stubborn certainly, but not dumb.

From the bunch, the Mutts always seemed to be the 'smartest'.

In any event, glad the dog found its way home.

:D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Yeah, this was expected...

I could probably nonchalantly get a (crappy cell phone) picture of my son, the puppy and the owner together, but it seems pretty creepy to not only take the picture, but to post it on here would be even worse.

I'll see what I can do.

Top Bottom