Any INGOers using a Burris TAC30 1-4x on their AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

Actually, it's the Midway USA exclusive in FDE. :cool:
    460800.jpg

What mount you thinkin'?

I'm going to try it first in the LaRue SPR-E (LT-139) that currently holds my GRSC 1-4x. If that doesn't work out right, I will either do a Larue LT-140 or an ADM Recon.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Also in FDE perhaps?

Not likely, as those are/were a Noveske :koolaid: exclusive. They are currently out of stock, and besides, I have distributors who carry the standard ADM line. Why pay retail? The difference in price would buy a LOT of Krylon... :):

Scope will be here tomorrow. I'll post my initial thoughts then, to (eventually) be followed by a shooting review, and maybe even a comparitive review featuring the TAC30 and GRSC, with an Aimpoint serving as the control.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Hmm.. I can buy FDE Recons all day long at dealer cost... not sure what you mean there Shooter.

Do you mean the ones with the little Noveske Logo on em? Dunno about those.

I personally dont care for the FDE ADM Recons, I use a black one :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Scope will be here tomorrow. I'll post my initial thoughts then, to (eventually) be followed by a shooting review, and maybe even a comparitive review featuring the TAC30 and GRSC, with an Aimpoint serving as the control.

If you start a new thread, please post a link here.:yesway:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Now I'm looking at adding a Tac-30 to my AR. It seems to be a solid choice, positive reviews / comments by the arfcommers, preferred over the millet dms.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Now I'm looking at adding a Tac-30 to my AR. It seems to be a solid choice, positive reviews / comments by the arfcommers, preferred over the millet dms.

I've handled and shot with the Millett; wasn't all that impressed. My 1st Gen CRS is basically the same body with a different reticle. The first focal plane "horseshoe" reticle is interesting, but I've come to the conclusion that it's not quite what I'm looking for, and like the Millett, the quality of the scope itself is somewhat lacking. Rather than upgrading to the newest version of the CRS which is made in Korea vs. China and features some improvements, I decided to give the Burris a try. I've owned Burris scopes in the past and have been really pleased with their quality and clarity.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I've had one for a couple of weeks now, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
    Mine will be mounted on a DPMS flattop upper modified for a left hand bolt handle. Mount will be a Burris PEPR thingy. A Jpoint dot will hang from a scope tube mount.
    The only thing that I've noticed about the scope is that the correct eye relief is required for it to be a true 1X.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I put one on my newest build. Clarity is great. 1x is actually 1x instead of 1.5x like moat 1-4 power scopes. I haven't had a chance to put in a lot of time behind it yet due to work and weather. Currently my only complaint is the backlight feature is a little finicky and takes some getting used to. I wish it had a 1-10 dial instead of a push button that runs everything. You have to push it to turn it on and keep pushing until you get it where you want it. It then cycles through all levels. Long story longer if you want it brighter by one level you might have to push it 12 times.

Overall I'm very happy with this scope although I only have 2-300 shots behind it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Bump; the TAC30 is here and mounted. Pics and initial thoughts tonight, test shots this weekend.

I don't wanna give away the ending, but... anybody wanna buy a GRSC 1-4x Combat Riflescope really cheap? :)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I really like mine. Lighter weight than the Millet and very clear glass all the way to the edges. As far as I can tell, the 1x is really a 1.1x. Don't like the power button and wish it had an intensity dial. I like the fact that the reticle is etched into the glass and is visible with the power off. Had it in a PEPR mount but it was a tad too high.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Pics:

TAC30_GRSC_2.jpg

TAC30 on top, CRS on bottom. The TAC30 is a couple inches shorter and about 3 oz. lighter than the CRS. Eye relief is also shorter, making an extended mount (like the LaRue SPR-E or ADM Recon-X) unnecessary.

TAC30_GRSC_1.jpg

Side view of both scopes. The TAC30's illumination control is the copper-colored pushbutton on the left side. Also worth noting is that the TAC30's entire rear bell moves when you change magnification; this is both a good and a bad thing.

TAC30_1X_illum.jpg

TAC30 on 1x with reticle illuminated. Illumination range goes from barely noticeable to a friggin' nuclear glow. Daylight visibility should NOT be a problem. NOTE: No neighbors were harmed during the making of these pics. :)

TAC30_4X_black.jpg

TAC30 at 4x, illumination off. The canting is a result of me not holding the scope straight, rather than the reticle being tilted within the scope itself.

TAC30_reticle_close.jpg

Closeup of the "Ballistic CQ" reticle design. All the pics and literature I've seen show a solid circle, but that is obviously not the case. I wonder if the design was changed to reduce obscuring of the target? Once properly zeroed, the large center dot is your 100 yard aiming point; the bottom of that dot is for 200 yards, and the smaller dots below are for 300, 400 and 500 yards. The "reverse" dot at the bottom of the circle is the 600-yard aiming point.

recon_TAC30.jpg

TAC30 mounted on my Recon Carbine in the LaRue SPR-E mount. I found I had to orient the optic pretty far back in the mount, and move the mount back two rail addresses in order to achieve a proper sight picture. It works. Apparent in this picture is that, while visually appealing, the Flat Dark Earth anodized finish is neither flat nor dark earth. :): It is somewhat metallic, and has a rather greenish hue, much like the upper receiver of the FDE SCAR-L. Bottom line - it will get the rattle can treatment once the weather warms up.

Hope to get the scope zeroed and run a few drills this weekend. I will post an "official" review/AAR in a separate thread, and link here.

Top Bottom