• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I have been looking to get into the AR-15 field but on a budget. I have been wanting one for a long time and found this particular model for under $600. Does anyone have one or shot one and have some input? For this price, I would really like to get one but am also scared at the same time. On the bright side, it does have a lifetime warranty. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It's a S&W. No fear.

Based strictly on feature set (haven't shot one personally) I would take it over any of the other ARs at its price point (Oly Plinker, DPMS Sportical/Oracle, Del-Ton, etc), hands down.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    It doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, forward assist or dust cover, but besides that, its a great gun especially for the price. Or you can spend $250 more and get a Stag.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have a M & P 15A (flattop, flipup battlesight) that I bought BEFORE Obama was elected. Shoots near anything you put in it and is damn accurate! Love it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just picked one up last night. Same reason as you, wanted to get into AR's and didn't want to dump a bunch of money in as yet without knowing what I like or don't, etc. I had been looking at the Spikes but figured the S&W would work for what I want it for.

Once I get to shoot it, I'll post some thoughts.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Thanks, please keep me informed on how you like it.

I just picked one up last night. Same reason as you, wanted to get into AR's and didn't want to dump a bunch of money in as yet without knowing what I like or don't, etc. I had been looking at the Spikes but figured the S&W would work for what I want it for.

Once I get to shoot it, I'll post some thoughts.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Field stripped the Sport last night (my brother in FL walked me through it over the phone, as I had never field stripped an AR), and cleaned it up and reassembled.

Took the Sport out to Atterbury today. Haven't picked up any additional mags as yet, so was shooting with just the one mag that came with it. Put 80 rounds through it (Remington UMC 55 gr), on the 50 yard range with the iron sights.

(Remington UMC 55 gr was on sale for $6.98 per box of 20 at Dicks Sporting Goods, however sale ended last night. Picked up 8 boxes, and the person working the ammunition counter told me I could use a $10 off $50 even though the coupon technically excluded ammo). I would probably have picked up more, but as i didn't know how well it would perform, I picked up just enough to use the coupon.

Shot some off a rest I have, some standing/using no support.

It was uneventful, except what appeared to be one either double feed, or FTE, which then led to the gun trying to chamber another round before the previous was ejected. I was able to clear it without significant effort. Honestly, I'm not sure if this was due to me possibly not seating the mag properly or some other issue. The problem occurred just the one time early in the range trip and did not repeat.

Just tried to get a feel for the gun, as I had never shot an AR or a semi auto center fire rifle for that matter previously. Actually never loaded the mag to 30 rounds, as I wanted to get used to changing the mag, reloading the mag, operating the gun, as much as possible at Atterbury. I will pick up some mags very soon, and likely a sling, and then need to shoot the gun again to give it a proper review, and even then not having any AR experience to compare it to it may not be a proper review, but I am very happy with the gun.

I field stripped it when I came home (without a walk through this time) and cleaned it.

Now to start accessorizing, I'm thinking an inexpensive red dot is in the future, and may start checking out some rails (just re-read Esrice's review of the ISD rail).

My intention is to keep this gun fairly light weight, and quick handling so I may not have need of a rail. A red dot would definitely be a great addition.

I'm also going to check out the INGO training forum to look into a basic defensive rifle course.

And so the sickness starts... Now just to find some place to shoot steel or other reactive targets with it, and to get a M&P 15-22 to complement training on the extra cheap.

Last edited:

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    i was looking in to a RRA tac for about $850.......then i ran across the deal of my life!...bushmaster brand new 50 rounds shot perfect condition for $675.00. i htink i got 1 heck of a deal and i love it. shot about 300 rounds today,with cheap surplus ammo, not the 1st problem.......i found one heck of a ar 15 at a awsome price!

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Took the M&P Sport back out to Atterbury today. This time after outfitting it with an MOE handguard, MagPul Vertical Grip, and MOE grip and with 3 Pmags. Still shooting the iron sights. Put 90 rounds of .223 Remington UMC through the Sport . No issues of any sort, and all very reasonably grouped using iron sights at 50 yards. Very pleased with this purchase and can't wait to pick up an optic and sling.

I must say I am hardcore wanting an S&W 15-22 now to shoot on the cheap and closer to home and retain all the mechanics of the AR.

Also put about 150 or so rounds (of some about 18 year old Winchester Wildcat ammo) through my .22 Remington Viper without any issues.

Great day at the range.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I bought an MP Sport in February...I love it. I have put Wolf, S&B, Norinco, Remington, PMC, and Federal through it. Close to 1,000 rounds. Throws nice tight groups. The only time I have had an issue with this rifle is after firing my golf ball launcher. Blanks dirty up the action...QUICK. The lack of a dust cover and forward assist have not been an issue. The only mods I have done are a sling and a cheap Tru-Glo red dot. I say go for it.
    3.jpg

Hap Hazard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    To go shooting and have some fun the S&W you're looking at will do great.

You might consider that there were reasons a foreward assist and dustcover were put on the basic '16 pattern way back when. Those reasons could rear their heads again.....maybe!

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Took the M&P Sport back out to Atterbury today. This time after outfitting it with an MOE handguard, MagPul Vertical Grip, and MOE grip and with 3 Pmags. Still shooting the iron sights. Put 90 rounds of .223 Remington UMC through the Sport . No issues of any sort, and all very reasonably grouped using iron sights at 50 yards. Very pleased with this purchase and can't wait to pick up an optic and sling.

I must say I am hardcore wanting an S&W 15-22 now to shoot on the cheap and closer to home and retain all the mechanics of the AR.

Also put about 150 or so rounds (of some about 18 year old Winchester Wildcat ammo) through my .22 Remington Viper without any issues.

Great day at the range.

Buy a CMMG .22 drop in bolt conversion. Right around $150 and converts your current AR to .22LR.

60999 - CMMG .22LR Conversion Kit for the Ar-15. ARC22 Stainless Steel Kit with 25 Round Magazine.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've owned a M&P15moe for a few months now and I've got absolutely nothing but love for this gun. It's my first AR platform so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but S&W came pretty highly recommended and after owning one, I'd recommend one too.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I was just unsure of how not have a forward assist or dust cover would effect the gun. To be honest, I am not sure what the two of them even do since I am just looking to get started in the AR platform.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I was just unsure of how not have a forward assist or dust cover would effect the gun. To be honest, I am not sure what the two of them even do since I am just looking to get started in the AR platform.

Depends on what you want to do with the gun. So far I'm loving mine. The forward assist would help you potentially seat a round that did not chamber completely. The dust cover, when closed well... keeps dust and other debris out of the chamber area. In my case it is unlikely I'd need either.

I guess my thoughts were of this nature. If I'm going to spend a similar amount of money, I'd rather buy at the lower end of a good manufacturer, than doing the reverse.

I've seen others in the price range, but wanted to purchase from a manufacturer known for quality and standing behind their product. I am definitely pleased with the S&W to date. I can't speak to the actually shooting the others in this price range, but the Sport was highly recommended by some folks on on INGO who know the various brands in the price range.

Bottom line, if not having the FA & the dust cover are going to bother you, then pick up a quality gun that does have those items. Ultimately you need to be happy with it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom