• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I had a 99 sport with the 4.0 I6, awesome little truck, not much room though. It was bullet proof for over 170,000 miles before I traded it. Got 21/18city mpg before the lift. A/C is known to go bad and is a very expensive fix because of the time involved other than that I dont know of any issues.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I had two in the past. First, a '98 Classic. It was great. I babied that Jeep. the day after I changed the oil and flushed the radiator, an idiot in an older Bronco or Blazer rear-ended me, shattering the back window and crushing in the back hatch. The insurance company totaled it out.

Then, a few years later, I got an '01 Classic. It was also great. The A/C went out, and IIRC, it was VERY pricey to get it fixed. I lived with it for one summer, then it started acting up. It would die just idling. I never took it in to get it looked at because we were in the market for a new car and ended up trading it in. Luckily, the Cherokee did well on the test drive.

The gas mileage wasn't great. IIRC, I got around 16 city.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I too have been in the market for one for the past couple of weeks. From all the research ive done, they seem to be great little suvs.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    there are deffinatly better option out there. and as soon as you lift if and put bigger tires on it the gas mileage is gonna drop...possibly alot. my buddy lifted his and went from 16-20mpgs to 7-10. he doesnt even drive it anymore.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I had an 87 with 4.5 inches of lift and 33x12.5s. LOVED it! You have to remember, yes when you lift a truck, you are making the brick you are driving BIGGER and bigger tires means regearing. Otherwise your mpgs go waaaaaay down. Regearing will bring some of it back.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I have a 2001 sport I like it for what it is. It does not get the good mileage my TDI Jetta got, it does not have near the power my 92 Cummins Dodge had. But I can get all my Appleseed shoot stuff in it for a weekend and get around 20mpg driving comfortably. If I don't feel like setting up a tent I can sleep in the back rather comfortably.
    My AC is leaking too but it is not that hard to replace the evaporator/heater core. I am waiting until it cools down a little and I get the time. I have done a few and just figure a pretty good day and it goes rather well. Last one took me 5 hours then had to pull a vacuum and recharge. It is about as straight forward as it can get I can point anyone to the directions for doing this. Just PM me.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I have a 97 sport with 183,000 that I use as my run around hunting and trapping vehicle instead of my F250 {The 351 likes the gas station to much } and it has been great It was our family car then my daughter took it over for awhile then she got a 99 classic so I took it back it will go anywhere and that straight 6 is hard to beat for reliability they do tend to get some electrical gremlins after while like door locks and windows but for cheap reliable transportation I think they are hard to beat My wife drives a 04 Grand Cherokee and loves it

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had a '98 Cherokee and got rid of it last winter with 225,000 miles. From 20 ft, it still looked new! I averaged 15-17 mpg, city, highway, towing or pulled via horse drawn. didn't matter. As stated, bullit proof, but mine was all stock. Good luck with whatever you decide.

362579117.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive had a couple cherokees, and a couple TJs, and currently have a 2000 XJ sport. I love my cherokees. excellent jeep drivetrain, best of the best suspension (coils in the front, leafs in the back), only down fall is I would love to have a removable top like a TJ, but you have a bigger storage area, and never have to worry about roof leaks ;)

anyway, the drive train is bullet proof with normal maintenance, 250K -> 300K miles can be expected. Interior is meh. Lots of plastic, but functional, and will fit 3 car seats in the back. I get 15 / 20 mpg in mine with slightly bigger tires (30"). All of the wrangler front suspension and engine parts fit so the are crap tons of parts available used.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got two Grand Cherokee Limiteds both with V8s.
    Driving them normally I get up to 23 highway and driving hard and fast I get as little as 12.
    My everyday driver is a '95 with 216k on it. Still drives like new though some plastic interior parts do rattle more than I like. Still a great vehicle. Never used a drop of oil, tranny perfect. My AC compressor on this one is out but I'll eventually get around to replacing it.
    I've turned it into my BOV with storage compartments, sleeping arrangements easily transformed, and it's stocked with "necessary" items for quick deployment if need be.
    My other is a '97 I toy with when the mood arises. I've beat it to death, use it for hunting, fishing, towing the boat, towing a trailer, etc. It's beat to pieces but a good vehicle still. 186K on it.
    I haven't had any major problems out of either vehicle. Loads of torque from the V8 motors and both run perfect.
    Based on the service I've got from mine I wouldn't have a problem recommending them to family, friends, or someone I don't know from beans. GOOD GOOD Vehicles.
    I haven't had any problems out of either one. NO expenses other than normal maintenance.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess my 96' Jeep Country Cherokee is the oldest so far.

I just put a new set of Michilins on but have not turned 100K yet. New shocks & brakes last year. Not a speck of rust yet.

Great vehicle ..

~TK

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I have a 2000 Cherokee Classic, with about 155K miles on it. Ac went out, but besides that, I've made no major fixes. Its not lifted and I get about 22 MPG out of it on average. Great vehicles :yesway:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I picked up a 97 Grand a few months back. 160k. I love it, although I must say the drivetrain design does have some flaws.

The dana 35c and 44a rear ends tend to burn through bearings, so watch out for whining in the rear if you check any of them out. Pretty pricey repair unless you know how to do it yourself and have the tools.

The 4.0 I6 is an excellent engine, mine was never maintained by the owners and purred like a kitten with some fresh oil and a new filter.

I also recommend looking for one with a 242 selec-trac transfer case, they seem to be the most solidly built as well as having the best options (stay away from the viscous couplers!)

I get 15.5mpg average, but I'm hoping that will increase when I put in some new plugs and wires.

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Top Bottom