• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I dont own a Jeep yet but am looking to get one within the next few weeks as a new DD to replace my family min-van :rolleyes: and a SHTF vehicle, if need be, and I need some advice, opinions and recommendations on a few things from all the veteran Jeepers out there.
    Im looking at the Cherokees because the Wranglers and CJ's are out with having a family of four plus two dogs to haul around and fishing/hunting gear. Id like to keep it as stock as possible for now, except maybe a lift and bigger tires. Its mainly going to see highway use and some light offroading from time to time but it would be nice to know that whatever I get can handle bigger obstacles.
    What year Cherokee and engine size (I6 or the V8) would be the best overall choice especially in the gas mileage department. I know the I6 is the most sought after for its durablity and low end torque but lacks a little in the power department for highway driving verses the V8.
    Also in the research ive been doing on the Cherokees, what tranny system would be the best to have the quadra drive, or selec trac, vari-lock diffs, trac lock diffs? Ive read mixed reviews on all the different options but most seem to prefer the selec-track (NP242 transfer case) and how can you tell (other than opening up the housings) what diffs it has.

Any opinions, advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

One more thing does anyone have any experience with the 4BT Cummins swap in a Cherokee?

Guessing you are actually looking for a GRAND Cherokee then, as the Cherokee was only offered in a 4cyl and 4.0l 6cyl. There is quite a difference between the Grand Cherokee and the regular Cherokee lol. We are looking to sell our Cherokee currently in order to buy a 99-04 Grand Cherokee. I want the 4.0L inline 6 for its reliability, cheap cost to work on, ease to work on, and general lack of as many issues as the 4.7 V8 offered in that body style. I also want the selec-trac which is not offered behind the V8 at all as far as i know. Selec-trac gives you a 2wd option, which helps save fuel. it also doesnt constantly use a viscous coupling in the transfer case like the AWD setups do. This hopefully means the coupling wont go bad as fast. Also gives me open differentials as opposed to limited slip. Limited slip is very nice to have, but im going for low maintanence and repair cost. LSD's require more maintanence and normally need rebuilt sooner do to clutch disks that wear over time.

Basically, I just dont want any of the options. They are what cause most of the issues in this particular body style Grand Cherokee. Im going for reliable and cheap/easy to repair when needed.

After being a tech at a Jeep dealer, my biggest suggestion regarding these Grand Cherokees is to avoid sunroofs at all costs. They lead to a world of electrical issues.

To figure out which drive system is in it, just look at the transfercase shifter in the Jeep. It should be printed on the trim around the shifter.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you go cherokee, many prefer the 1997-99. I love my 1998 cherokee with a 4.0L inline six with a 231 transfer case...I'm going an unusual route and strengthening the body with extra steel and just put on some tread wright 235/75/15's. lift and 33" comes after I make the body stronger...

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    If you go cherokee, many prefer the 1997-99. I love my 1998 cherokee with a 4.0L inline six with a 231 transfer case...I'm going an unusual route and strengthening the body with extra steel and just put on some tread wright 235/75/15's. lift and 33" comes after I make the body stronger...

Did that myself with my last ZJ. Made my own frame stiffeners and welded em on. Gonna do this one too after I figure out a few things. XJs are easier to do from what I understand, frame doesnt have as many changes in width or angles

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Did that myself with my last ZJ. Made my own frame stiffeners and welded em on. Gonna do this one too after I figure out a few things. XJs are easier to do from what I understand, frame doesnt have as many changes in width or angles

I got the HD Offroad body stiffener, but I need them welded on so I can install my bumper

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some early XJ's had a V6 My neighbors weird blue 2 door '85 had one. It was a dog.

The 242 has a smaller output shaft, reportedly isn't as tough as a 231.

I dunno, I've never had a 231. But I've blown up two 242's on XJ's.

My 94 ZJ had the 249 with VC and yup, it went bad. It has a 242 in it now.
    I picked up a couple MPG (having 2wd option) and it's worked fine, but I have not really wheeled it (V8, 32" MTRs and a D35 rear mean short life expectancy I'm bettin').

It's just my DD and deer hauler. I won't take it to Attica until I have a 231 waiting to swap in (when the 242 or D35 grenades). Looks like it'll be getting a new D30 first though.

Rbadger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Auburn, IN
    For any of you that question the ability of the XJ I present my buddy (and club president's) truly capable version.
    picture.php

The club is Mafia Mudslingers out of Kendallville Indiana. Jason has sold the jeep since this picture was taken and started building (and thrashing) a huge yellow extended cab chevy truck. But to the best of my knowledge the jeep is still going strong.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Guessing you are actually looking for a GRAND Cherokee then, as the Cherokee was only offered in a 4cyl and 4.0l 6cyl. There is quite a difference between the Grand Cherokee and the regular Cherokee lol. We are looking to sell our Cherokee currently in order to buy a 99-04 Grand Cherokee. I want the 4.0L inline 6 for its reliability, cheap cost to work on, ease to work on, and general lack of as many issues as the 4.7 V8 offered in that body style. I also want the selec-trac which is not offered behind the V8 at all as far as i know. Selec-trac gives you a 2wd option, which helps save fuel. it also doesnt constantly use a viscous coupling in the transfer case like the AWD setups do.Doesn't use a viscous coupler at all This hopefully means the coupling wont go bad as fast. Also gives me open differentials as opposed to limited slip. Limited slip is very nice to have, but im going for low maintanence and repair cost. LSD's require more maintanence and normally need rebuilt sooner do to clutch disks that wear over time. LSDs only require an additive in the oil to maintain friction. When the clutches wear out, it acts just like an open diff. AS long as you have lube in them, there is no real extra maintenance.

Basically, I just dont want any of the options. They are what cause most of the issues in this particular body style Grand Cherokee. Im going for reliable and cheap/easy to repair when needed.

After being a tech at a Jeep dealer, my biggest suggestion regarding these Grand Cherokees is to avoid sunroofs at all costs. They lead to a world of electrical issues. I never had any electrical issues. I did have sunroof issues, the bar on the front of the glass came off which made it not seal so well, it leaked a little, and then wouldn't open/close.

To figure out which drive system is in it, just look at the transfercase shifter in the Jeep. It should be printed on the trim around the shifter.slide underneath and look at the back of the transfercase, there is a round ID tag. It will have a number stamped/printed on it, 242,249, etc.
    I had a '98 Grand with the 249 tcase. The viscous coupler started going bad around 100k (which sounds about right from what I've read) I swapped in a 242 for the 2wd option. While you may think it saves gas, it really doesn't do anything other than lose traction. The 4wd systems in these has the front axle and driveshaft turning all the time. You'd have to convert either to a different axle or install a lockout hub kit. I did notice that in 2wd the rear tires would break traction easily with the v-8.
    That t-case melted on the highway one night, I'm surprised I made it home, and I replaced it with a 247 from a 99+ Grand. It's an all wheel drive tcase like the 249, but uses a hydraulic coupling rather than the viscous unit. I got mine for free as the coupler didn't work, so I was stuck in 2wd. I later found a 242 from a Cherocar, swapped the input shaft, and put that in. I never had any more trouble with it, sold it to a friend, and never heard of any since.

I did have a pic of mine on the trail, but I don't know where it is. I've used it as a tow rig also, I pulled this overloaded trailer from Crown Point to Fort Wayne. I stopped to weigh it and the whole thing weighed 13,220. How much does a ZJ weigh? I think I stretched the tcase chain hauling this.

09-22-06_1718.jpg

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Some early XJ's had a V6 My neighbors weird blue 2 door '85 had one. It was a dog.

The 242 has a smaller output shaft, reportedly isn't as tough as a 231.

I dunno, I've never had a 231. But I've blown up two 242's on XJ's.

My 94 ZJ had the 249 with VC and yup, it went bad. It has a 242 in it now.
    I picked up a couple MPG (having 2wd option) and it's worked fine, but I have not really wheeled it (V8, 32" MTRs and a D35 rear mean short life expectancy I'm bettin').

It's just my DD and deer hauler. I won't take it to Attica until I have a 231 waiting to swap in (when the 242 or D35 grenades). Looks like it'll be getting a new D30 first though.

The v6 was a 2.8 v6 from GM, it was in XJ's from 84-86. From the wikipedia article I found, from 85-97 there was a 2.1 turbo diesel offered in XJ's.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Since I haven't posted any pics of my project-in-waiting, here's a trail pics from before the big rebuild.
    Stock 152 four banger, t-90 three speed, SOA D44s from a Scout II with 5.89 gears, added power steering and power brakes.

ec79c315.jpg

In progress
    tuned port 305
    th700r4
    NP 241
    Ford hi pinion d60 front with Crane hi-steer knuckles
    Eaton rear
    recentered H2 wheels, Goodyear hummer tires
    four link rear, three link front, ORI struts
    full hydraulic steering

I'm at a point where I have to bend tube to finish mounting the hydraulic steering stuff, the radiator, new cage, etc. and my bender guy has been building a new shop and is currently trying to get the electric service to hook him up to 400 amp service.

As it sits now

0923090041a.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My 94 GC's 249 made it to 175K before the VC went. It was kinda funky off and on for 2 weeks before it locked up. The 242 works, but yeah, one can spin the backs pretty easy (even 32" MTRs).

I did pick up a couple MPG, but that may have been due to subtle 249 issues not noticed prior to the two funky weeks. If so, then my 249 was acting weird for over a yr before it became obviously problematic.

I run a 5.2L, with 3.73's. Not sure what diff a 98 with 5.9 and ???? gearing might experience (wish I knew ;)

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Theres a machine shop up here that does awesome work, but it would be a bit of a drive for you just for some head work. Cant imagine shipping is cheap either

what are their prices? Name? Number? They are of quality work?

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    My 94 GC's 249 made it to 175K before the VC went. It was kinda funky off and on for 2 weeks before it locked up. The 242 works, but yeah, one can spin the backs pretty easy (even 32" MTRs).

I did pick up a couple MPG, but that may have been due to subtle 249 issues not noticed prior to the two funky weeks. If so, then my 249 was acting weird for over a yr before it became obviously problematic.

I run a 5.2L, with 3.73's. Not sure what diff a 98 with 5.9 and ???? gearing might experience (wish I knew ;)
    A friend of mine has a 99 ZJ with the 5.9. I'll ask what mileage he gets. I know he has to run premium in it.

Top Bottom