• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    When it comes to steel, you should call Huff Steel too. I have been buying steel from them for my machine shop for 6 years and they are pretty fair. They are near E Washington Street and Rural on the near east side in Indy.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I posted this on Jeepforum.com and still waiting on some responses. Figured I'd post here too...

TITLE: Identify sound please

VEHICLE: 2001 XJ Sport 4.0

I start the jeep in the morning to take the kids to school. It's cold out (20-30 degrees). I'm used to the whistle the engine makes. Drive about 1/4 mile at around 2k RPM's in 2H (~30 MPH) and I start hearing more of a whining sound, kinda like a gears whining sound. It does it for about 10-20 seconds then goes away. Started doing it about a week ago.

Maybe the oil/fluid is still cold or low?

Sam7157

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Waynetown
    Really happy I still had my jeep this winter. Would have been snowed in a couple times without it. Roads get drifted shut, just drive across the fields to the main roads. My Dakota would have never made it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Installed my CB a while back (still want to make some mods to it.) I don't really use it much but I was wondering are off roaders still mostly using channel 4 or is that a thing of the past?
    JPFrog tends to use Channel 16 (4 x 4). If part of a large trail ride, each group will choose a channel for the day. Helps when different clubs already run on preferred channels.

FRS radios are getting popular, too. They don't seem to have the range of the good old CB, though.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have some cash saved up. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth regearing my Jeep, or having a patio done in my backyard.

I've gotten used to the 3.73 and 33" tires, but I hear 4.56 is awesome. But, I really want a backyard patio.

Hoosier Wolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks for the CB info guys :yesway:

Lovemachine I will be facing a similar decision in the future. I have 3.73 gears and they work fine with my too small stock tires but ultimately I'm going to want 35s. At that point I will likely need to look into a re-gear. I hear I can probably live with it for a while but if you get in the hills you will feel it.

I've never heard of anyone re-gearing for 33s but maybe I'm not on the right forum or hanging with the right crowd that I would. Not much help I know but thought I'd share the little I've run across on the subject.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My offroader has 4.56 gears for 37" tires, and seems to be decent. It has a REALLY low first gear, though. My Daily Driver has the stock 4.10's (with a 4-cylinder) and 32" tires. I actually wish it was a little deeper (4.56). Overdrive is fairly worthless on the highway.

All depends on how you are using the Jeep. If it is a cruiser, then you probably want numerically lower (for mileage). If it is a wheeler, then you might want numerically higher (for performance). The online gear calculators do a decent job getting you close. After that, it is just preference.

I'm in the same position, Lovemachine. Spend $$$ on the toy, or the same $$$ on home improvements. So far, the home is winning.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I recently drove my dads '06 TJ. It has 31" tires with 3.73 gearing. I liked it a lot better. Big difference vs mine.

Really, after a regear, my TJ is done. So I dunno. A patio would be really nice...but a regear would help my MPH, and it really is more of a street jeep than an offroader.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Attention XJ owners:

I'm looking for someone to give me some pointers. I am planning on buying my coworker's 2000 Sport, 4dr, 4.0L. I've read several "buying guides" on jeep forums, but I'd like firsthand knowledge. It would also be nice to get a good estimate of what to pay. My current car is a manual 96 BMW 328is. It will be great to have a two reliable cars on both ends of the autosports spectrum v

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Attention XJ owners:

I'm looking for someone to give me some pointers. I am planning on buying my coworker's 2000 Sport, 4dr, 4.0L. I've read several "buying guides" on jeep forums, but I'd like firsthand knowledge. It would also be nice to get a good estimate of what to pay. My current car is a manual 96 BMW 328is. It will be great to have a two reliable cars on both ends of the autosports spectrum v

Keep in mind, the 2000 and 2001 are know for cracking heads....some crack and some don't, just a roll of the dice. I also think they went low pinion on the front axle as well.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Keep in mind, the 2000 and 2001 are know for cracking heads....some crack and some don't, just a roll of the dice. I also think they went low pinion on the front axle as well.

The jeep has 116k on it. Is there any way to tell if its got the early build "0331" head on it? I'm sure she'd let me pull the valve cover or test the oil prior to the sale.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The jeep has 116k on it. Is there any way to tell if its got the early build "0331" head on it? I'm sure she'd let me pull the valve cover or test the oil prior to the sale.

It's stamped on the head, no need to remove valve cover to identify it.

head0331.jpg

Chances are likely it will have the 0331 head unless you lucked into an xj with a redesigned head or an 0331 head that been taken care of. Not allowing the jeep to overheat is the best preventive to a cracked 0331 head, but even then, some crack and some don't.

Refer to this thread....

0331 Head - The Ticking Time Bomb? - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville

Pull the oil fill cap and look for signs of coolant. Look for a sludge like substance. If everything looks pretty clean in there and the oil is good, most likely you are fine. the cracked heads most likely resulted from overheating so keep an eye on your temp and coolant levels to make sure you are not consuming coolant.

I have a 2001 Sport with over 200k miles on it.

The 2000 and 2001 did have the low pinion Dana 30 which shouldn't be a problem until you put much bigger wheels on it.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    It's stamped on the head, no need to remove valve cover to identify it.

head0331.jpg

Chances are likely it will have the 0331 head unless you lucked into an xj with a redesigned head or an 0331 head that been taken care of. Not allowing the jeep to overheat is the best preventive to a cracked 0331 head, but even then, some crack and some don't.

Refer to this thread....

0331 Head - The Ticking Time Bomb? - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

Its just like the cummins 53 block issues. Drive it till it cracks then replace.

095e020599574912fc7b58ad311ca39ax.jpg

Should I buy this?

Top Bottom