Where ever my GPS says I am
    homer_drool_1.gif

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My cherokee is going away for a while...rear axles is getting overhauled and adding a locker, front axle is getting fixed....I hope.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    A Jeeper fixes his own stuff.
    A Jeep owner might not.

axles and transmissions are beyond my skill ability at this time...so sad to leave my xj behind, but it will be a great day when I go to pick her up. Side note, the header panel was waiting for us coming back from Sunman, IN. I think I got the fiberglass model header panel, not smooth as plastic injection molding and a bit heavier....plus it's white. If I just had my xj, a warm day, and time to install it.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Pull the oil fill cap and look for signs of coolant. Look for a sludge like substance. If everything looks pretty clean in there and the oil is good, most likely you are fine. the cracked heads most likely resulted from overheating so keep an eye on your temp and coolant levels to make sure you are not consuming coolant.

I have a 2001 Sport with over 200k miles on it.

The 2000 and 2001 did have the low pinion Dana 30 which shouldn't be a problem until you put much bigger wheels on it.

Ok it seems like there is a correlation between poor maintenance and heads cracking. That isnt something that worries me. The E36's straight six has a cast iron block with an aluminum head. Mix that with a cooling system built with plastic parts is a recipe for blown gaskets and cracked heads. Preventative maintenance will keep good cars running for a long time and great cars running forever.

What about the "cancer" locations? Are there any locations where a little rust isn't a deal breaker? Any locations I should check out to see if a little problem will become major after a winter or two?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ok it seems like there is a correlation between poor maintenance and heads cracking. That isnt something that worries me. The E36's straight six has a cast iron block with an aluminum head. Mix that with a cooling system built with plastic parts is a recipe for blown gaskets and cracked heads. Preventative maintenance will keep good cars running for a long time and great cars running forever.

What about the "cancer" locations? Are there any locations where a little rust isn't a deal breaker? Any locations I should check out to see if a little problem will become major after a winter or two?

Floor pans, rear quarters, rockers, top of windshield, lower doors. See any bubbling and it will expand quickly at some point in time. Doors can be replaced, the rest would require welding. A little rust in any of those except the windshield should not be a real problem if you can broker a better deal. Any bubbling above the windshield and it will leak and eventually soak your header panel. The fabric tends to come unglued anyway which is an easy fix.

My rocker panel drivers side started bubbling and a couple of years later most of it disappeared. I plan on welding in some box tubing for sliders in place of the rockers.

Even with rust, if the engine is good it will just keep going. Overheating is often caused by a bad thermostat. The head on the 2000, 2001 has a known weak point so good maintenance will help but an I6 is a good 300K engine if taken care of.

I bought my 93 12 years ago with 193K and it showed no rust. I kept it mostly garaged and now have 262K on it. It is just now showing rust the last couple of years.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Just called sunfire offroad where my jeep is getting worked on...lockers, bearings and seals going in for the rear axles today. They are still trying to figure out what's going on up there, they are thinking it's the CV on the driveshaft that's messing up the front end. Not sure what my total expense is going to be yet, kinda nervous.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Just called sunfire offroad where my jeep is getting worked on...lockers, bearings and seals going in for the rear axles today. They are still trying to figure out what's going on up there, they are thinking it's the CV on the driveshaft that's messing up the front end. Not sure what my total expense is going to be yet, kinda nervous.

A= parts
    B= A(2) labor
    X=total

A+B=X

:D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A lot of Cherokees are in great shape body wise............due to that rear seal leaking on the I6.
    My 88 was great (even after I got it and changed the seal).
    My 90 was from Pittsburgh, parked on the street, so rocker by rear wheel was pretty bad (side facing street).

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    A lot of Cherokees are in great shape body wise............due to that rear seal leaking on the I6.
    My 88 was great (even after I got it and changed the seal).
    My 90 was from Pittsburgh, parked on the street, so rocker by rear wheel was pretty bad (side facing street).

I'm not going to bother changing the seal, my motor needs rebuilt.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Get my XJ back tomorrow as my moms van is finally fixed. That means sometime in the next 3-4 months, I should cross the 200k threshold. Last time I drove it last weekend it was nearing 199k. With it being a drive it once during the week to get it out and only in snowy winter days, it will take a while to get that last 1k to get there.

On another thought, you know you have an awesome wife when you mention lifting and getting bigger tires and she doesn't say no. She likes to wheel also, but never has my XJ yet.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Maybe I'll get my jeep this coming week, can't wait. What's the first thing I should do to test my new lockers?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Rear passenger brake cylinder is leaking so I took off the wheel and drum and it looked like someone shot grease and dirt in the brakes. What a mess. Decided to replace everything so I have front calipers and rear drum parts rebuild kits and cylinders coming. Will pick up new rotors and pads/shoes locally.

Got to use my HF impact gun for the first time. Nice to have. I have a little Rigid Tri-Stack 5 gal compressor and it worked fine with the impact wrench.

Top Bottom