• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKEdge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indy
    I read on jeep forum that the minimum for 35's they recommend is 3.75. Which oddly enough is the minimum they recommend for 33's.

I've been running 3.31 backspacing for my 33's for a few years now. I know it puts stress on the hubs and ball joints, but everything is still good.

I have 4.5" backspacing on 35s. Not sure where you are reading but 4.5" is what I have always known to be the recommendation

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have just discovered 17" wheels. Anyone a fan of them on TJ's? I go back and forth.
    I'm not in the market for them, too expensive. But I HAVE seen some nice looking rigs that are running 17's.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I have just discovered 17" wheels. Anyone a fan of them on TJ's? I go back and forth.
    I'm not in the market for them, too expensive. But I HAVE seen some nice looking rigs that are running 17's.

The only reasons I see for bigger wheels are aesthetics and the ability to convert to larger diameter brakes. I don't care for the look of big wheels necessarily but bigger brakes could be handy if you're stopping big tires.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am running 17" rims on the CJ. With 37" tires. Needed the clearance for big brakes, and wanted the big offset (H2 rims with 5.5" backspacing).

Lots of tire choices for 17". That is a pretty common size from the factory now.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I am running 17" rims on the CJ. With 37" tires. Needed the clearance for big brakes, and wanted the big offset (H2 rims with 5.5" backspacing).

Lots of tire choices for 17". That is a pretty common size from the factory now.

What kind of brakes are you running? I've been curious if my current brakes can handle 35's.

I have also noticed the big price increase on tires, and wheels, for 17's.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you read on Jeep Forum, they say it's a BAD idea to run 35's without upgrading your brakes. Black Magic seems to be the best.

I'm going to find out for myself. Never had any problems with my 33's and while pulling a trailer.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My friends used to drive from Fort Wayne to Attica and back once a month. They ran 35-38 on stock brakes. Could you use bigger brakes? Sure, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, this is the CJ. So nothing close to factory, well, anything.

Brakes are stock Dodge 1-ton on the front, and stock GM 1-ton on the rear. These are 8-lug axles (Dana 60 and 14-bolt). Also have a GM Hydroboost and matching master cylinder. Easily locks up all 4 from any speed, if you really want it to.

You will likely notice some decrease in braking performance with the larger tire. That is a LOT more rotating mass than OEM. Better pads and/or rotors can make up for it in the front. Not much you can do about the rear drums, other than upgrade the whole thing to disks. Lots of folks run 35's on stock axles without any issues.

Side note: developed a squeak in the front driveshaft u-joints in the TJ after the last outing. Picked up all new u-joints for the front and rear (may as well swap them all). Looks like a Jeep Maintenance weekend is in store!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Eh, I'll wait and see how it goes. Upgrading brakes can get very expensive.

I've been trying to find out how much more stress there will be on my ball joints and hubs if I keep my current wheels with 3.31 backspacing. I like the idea of new wheels, but will a wheel with 3.75 backspacing make that much of a difference?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not Jeep specific, but anyone recommend a good shop in the Indy area that could install some Bilstein 5100's (going on an FJ, not a Jeep). I'm going to check with the mechanic I use that works out of his house, but wondering if there was a good shop locally someone would recommend. 4 Wheel Parts has a good price on the shocks (looking at their website), but have no experience with them, and have heard good and bad about them.

I'm not looking to money with that myself.

Top Bottom