• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Just took delivery today. Got her from a classified he at INGO. 1979 CJ5 with a 360, 727, D20, 4 wheel disc brakes on full size Dodge D44 and 9.25 axles, with Detroit locker in the rear. Rusty spots to fix, and some jurry rigged stuff to redo, but she is strong and runs good as is. Let the tinkering begin.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just took delivery today. Got her from a classified he at INGO. 1979 CJ5 with a 360, 727, D20, 4 wheel disc brakes on full size Dodge D44 and 9.25 axles, with Detroit locker in the rear. Rusty spots to fix, and some jurry rigged stuff to redo, but she is strong and runs good as is. Let the tinkering begin.

Looking snazzy! About time to get it dirty, too.

Been needing some motivation on mine. Just been so busy otherwise.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Curious about the Dodge D44... there is a lot of hesitation to use these. Do you know which one it is? The one with the bad bearings used with the full-time transfer case or the CAD version, or the late model that originally had the Jeep type 5-link and coil springs? Sorry I can't recall all the details of the Dodge D44's off the top of my head.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Curious about the Dodge D44... there is a lot of hesitation to use these. Do you know which one it is? The one with the bad bearings used with the full-time transfer case or the CAD version, or the late model that originally had the Jeep type 5-link and coil springs? Sorry I can't recall all the details of the Dodge D44's off the top of my head.

Not sure of the D44. Guy I got the Jeep from wasn't the builder. Says it came from a full size Dodge truck, but didn't say what year. What I can tell you is that the spring pads were too far out on the axle to mate up with the CJ frame. Custom (homemade) brackets were welded on the outside of the frame to widen the springs to match the wider axle. Not the way I'd have done it, but they are big and beefy so it shouldn't be a problem. I've never heard of D44 bearing problems before either so thanks for giving me something new to worry about...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My CJ had outboarded hangers as well. Nothing to worry about, if they are stout.

Get the BOM number off of the axle, and the Google Machine should be able to tell you the year and original configuration. Handy to know when replacing brakes, bearings, seals, and such.

Speaking from experience, unless you need all that up-travel, I'd swap in some lower springs. Short wheelbase and high COG make for a lot of pucker factor!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I found out that loading a baby seat into the backseat of my TJ wasn't as bad as I thought it was. I also found that I need to find a different method of loading it, because I got my legs wet leaning against the tub of the jeep while it was raining.

I also have a weird noise going on when I start the jeep up. It only happens when it's been sitting for awhile, a cold start. Its like a screech/knocking noise, but only happens for a second. My first guess was the fan, but I also smelled fuel for a couple seconds. That one has me stumped. And it doesn't happen all the time.
    The 2nd noise sounds like the lifters while. I just recently changed the oil, and normally use STP oil treatment. This time, I used the High Mileage version, so I wonder if that's what caused it. I'm only guessing of course.

I've been trying to research on the jeep forums for any ideas, and I ran into the ODPA talk again. Ugh that talk just scares me. 99,850 miles on my TJ, and nothing yet. I'm hoping I won't have to worry about it, or maybe it's just coming up soon.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    They swapped a Chrysler engine into a CJ-5?

I friend swapped a fairly modern 5.whatever Dodge/Chrysler into is YJ. Sounds pretty nice, and was a MAJOR upgrade in power.

Top Bottom