• daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Ever see a $120 Jeep?
    IMG_1145.jpg

My Newest find. Just got this not running 1980 CJ7 delivered this week. She is complete, but the tub has a few panels that need some attention. She has the 258 I-6 and a auto trans. Shifter is on the tilt column with a real nice Lecarra wheel. Dash, seats, everything inside is complete. Hardtop with defroster in back glass and rear wiper is in great shape as are the doors with roll up windows. Windshield is a goner. I'll use the Dodge 360 and TF 727 out of my '79 CJ5 along with it's matching Dodge truck Dana 44 front and Chrysler 9.25 rear axles to give her some grunt. Best part is She was only $120.

Yup. $120.... and I did NOT miss a zero. Ran into a fellow combat vet at a 4x4 meet (he also drives a '79 CJ5, a very nice one) and he hooked me up. He also sold one (with a much worse tub, blue one in background) to another friend in my 4x4 club, Iron Horse 4x4s.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ever see a $120 Jeep?
    View attachment 58420

My Newest find. Just got this not running 1980 CJ7 delivered this week. She is complete, but the tub has a few panels that need some attention. She has the 258 I-6 and a auto trans. Shifter is on the tilt column with a real nice Lecarra wheel. Dash, seats, everything inside is complete. Hardtop with defroster in back glass and rear wiper is in great shape as are the doors with roll up windows. Windshield is a goner. I'll use the Dodge 360 and TF 727 out of my '79 CJ5 along with it's matching Dodge truck Dana 44 front and Chrysler 9.25 rear axles to give her some grunt. Best part is She was only $120.

Yup. $120.... and I did NOT miss a zero. Ran into a fellow combat vet at a 4x4 meet (he also drives a '79 CJ5, a very nice one) and he hooked me up. He also sold one (with a much worse tub, blue one in background) to another friend in my 4x4 club, Iron Horse 4x4s.

How on earth did I miss your post? Awesome deal! You find anymore like that CALL ME (or PM, or whatever). Seriously. I would be all over a sub-$500 CJ.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I ordered a 2018 4 door JL Rubicon with a 3.6 and manual transmission on November 2. It has been given a VIN and has hit D1 status, so it should get a production date very soon, if all goes smoothly. I won't get my hands on it until probably late January. They are putting early units through extra quality checks before shipping them out. Late January is when dealers start getting theirs. Mine was the very first unit ordered by Westgate Jeep in Indy. It was funny because they knew nothing about it, and I mean nothing. I had to show them that it could be ordered. They are great folks, though, and they bent over backward to take good care of me.

I'll post pics up when I get it. I already bought a winch for it because I saw a Black Friday deal on which I could not pass. :D

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Well about a year and a half after blowing the motor in the ol yj, I brought her home to start the rebuild process. Brought it in to the garage and started tearing it apart. Tore all of the interior out to fix a couple cancer spots and coat the tub with herculiner.

I was torn between replacing with a junkyard motor or having the old one rebuilt. I think I've decided to send it off to Quinlin (comes highly recommended from a friend at work) machine shop to have it gone through.

The goal for the winter is to get the tub, frame, and motor in order over the winter. Then it will be my dd to work. Hoping to get wheels tires and lift by summer. Gonna be a lot of work but I've missed driving it and have been getting the jeep itch lately.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Some quick questions for the jeepers in here. I have owned several Polaris RZRs for the years and got out of it last year. I am seriously thinking of getting back into off roading as I miss it. I already have a suv I would sell or trade. I need something that could be an every day driver an occasionally hit the trails (nothing too extreme like I used to with my RZR).
    Question 1: I have looked at the 2 door vs the 4 I am an empty nester, but I do have a dog that goes to the vet plus groceries etc.. If i have the 2 door door I would probably remove the rear seat - thoughts?
    Question 2: The 2018 seems to have a lot more new things on it, how tough is the hard top or soft top to remove? Is the 2018 worth the extra over a 2015?
    Question 3: For off-roading it seems the rubicon is the way to go (no front sway bar) whoever, I don't plan on any serious rock crawling
    Question 4: Where do you all go riding? Badlands? haspin? I could see the whole park in a hour or so in a RZR which is why I would goto Tennessee or Kentucky

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    all you need is a 2 door to haul stuff, but I still like the extra room of the 4 door and the length has it's advantages and disadvantages offroad.

Hard top is easy to remove with 2 people, soft top is a cake walk with one person. Is the 2018 worth the extra? I'm not sure, I guess it depends on if you like the extra features and are willing to pay for them. a 2018 won't be cheap, and the bones are the same. only difference will be little options and accessories.

Yes, the Rubicon is the best 'base' jeep you can buy if you plan to offroad. lockers from and rear, D44 front and rear, better 'armor', they do have sway bars but they have electric disconnects from inside the jeep which is nice.

I used to go to the badlands. Could spend all day there in a jeep. Haspin was always considered more mud. Here in the last few years a new place has opened up south of me called Redbird, never been but a lot of guys from my area go regularly.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    2 vs 4 door is really wheelbase preference and storage preference. The 2-door is pretty darned nimble offroad. I've only ever wheeled 2-door Jeeps. Two people plus a dog is plenty of room.

Hard top is not all that difficult with 2 people. They make lifts for them as well. The soft-top is a piece of cake.

2018 (JK or the new JL) will be BANK. A 2015 will still not be exactly cheap, but could be $10K less for essentially the same thing.

Jeep Rubicon is hands-down the best factory offroad vehicle available. However, a base Sport model with a few mods will still be a ton of fun. The cost difference is noticeable.

As for where:
    - Badlands
    - Redbird SRA outside of Linton/Dugger
    - Interlake SRA outside of Evansville
    - Haspin Acres

I also go up to Silverlake in Michigan regularly, and down to Black Mountain / Harlan County in KY. Tons of other options in Kentucky as well.

Fire away with any questions. Jeeps are kinda my "thing", and I'm pretty involved in the Jeep/offroad community.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I bought a 2015 wrangler sport the week before Christmas. Its replacing my 2004 wj as my daily driver. The new one is white with black hard top, its sitting on mayhem 18" rims and 33" master craft tires. Tires fill the fender wells and a 2.5" lift will be in the near future along with gears and lockers.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I bought a 2015 wrangler sport the week before Christmas. Its replacing my 2004 wj as my daily driver. The new one is white with black hard top, its sitting on mayhem 18" rims and 33" master craft tires. Tires fill the fender wells and a 2.5" lift will be in the near future along with gears and lockers.

Are the Master Craft tires called Coursers? How do you like them?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Some quick questions for the jeepers in here. I have owned several Polaris RZRs for the years and got out of it last year. I am seriously thinking of getting back into off roading as I miss it. I already have a suv I would sell or trade. I need something that could be an every day driver an occasionally hit the trails (nothing too extreme like I used to with my RZR).
    Question 1: I have looked at the 2 door vs the 4 I am an empty nester, but I do have a dog that goes to the vet plus groceries etc.. If i have the 2 door door I would probably remove the rear seat - thoughts?
    Question 2: The 2018 seems to have a lot more new things on it, how tough is the hard top or soft top to remove? Is the 2018 worth the extra over a 2015?
    Question 3: For off-roading it seems the rubicon is the way to go (no front sway bar) whoever, I don't plan on any serious rock crawling
    Question 4: Where do you all go riding? Badlands? haspin? I could see the whole park in a hour or so in a RZR which is why I would goto Tennessee or Kentucky
    I have a ‘14 2-door, and I can haul me, my wife, baby daughter, and a little bit of stuff. I thought about removing the rear seat, but it would break my 2y.o.’s heart. She absolutely LOVES riding in the Jeep with the top off.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Are the Master Craft tires called Coursers? How do you like them?

They are Master Craft Courser AXT and I like them. I have the same set on my 2011 sierra after giving up on goodyear wrangler ats's tires. I only have experience with these tires in the snow and on the pavement and they ride quiet and I don't need 4x4 to drive up the hill into my yard.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I need the speedometer recalibrated and have been looking at the superchips flashcal 170$ to 180$ and at the rough country quickcal 140$. Has any one had experience with either of these? Or is there a better brand I should be looking at?

Top Bottom