• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Yeah, I may have to look closely at this. If we get specs, and my Tavor fits, then BINGO! It is nice that it also works as a table. I also want to make sure the dang thing doesn't rattle. Tuffy makes good stuff, though. I just recently put their console safe in the JL. Works great and secures my pistol when the doors are off.

Edit...I just looked up the dimensions and it looks like a Tavor or AR pistol would fit. I have to measure an AR15 carbine with the stock collapsed. It might even fit in there, which would be great! I may have to order one of these things.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Nope. Probably a Nortstar AGM pure lead battery, though, like I just put in my JK. The JL actually has two batteries. It has a smaller one with the electronic start stop (which I hate and have neutered). It is isolated from accessories and can start the Jeep, so it gives a layer of protection. I won't go for more than 8 or 9 hours with the fridge running while the Jeep is parked, and I don't take that many trips each year, so I doubt I'll stress the battery too much, anyway.

That Northstar (rebranded X2 from Batteries Plus) has really impressed me with the JK. Four wheeler did something like a 450 foot winch pull on that battery. That's unreal.
    Learn something every day. I had NO IDEA they went with a second, smaller starting battery, and then a larger primary. Seems.... odd. But, it is Fiat! Wonder if the aftermarket "duals" kits will be 3 batteries, or 4. Is that striped or mirrored? Parity battery? A Redundant Array of Batteries (RAIB)?

I'll have to look at the Northstar. Everything I own gets an AGM as soon as the factory battery dies. I've had good AGM batteries last 10+ years, even with TONS of abuse.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Learn something every day. I had NO IDEA they went with a second, smaller starting battery, and then a larger primary. Seems.... odd. But, it is Fiat! Wonder if the aftermarket "duals" kits will be 3 batteries, or 4. Is that striped or mirrored? Parity battery? A Redundant Array of Batteries (RAIB)?

I'll have to look at the Northstar. Everything I own gets an AGM as soon as the factory battery dies. I've had good AGM batteries last 10+ years, even with TONS of abuse.

I'm not sure how that battery system works, but I figure it will serve just fine as a backup. I've got to go back and look, but I think the smaller battery is tucked somewhere behind the fender. You can't see it from above, or at least I haven't been able to spot it. I'll try to find a link. I didn't think it existed until I saw a picture posted on the JL forum. I'm wondering if they set it up that way in preparation for the belt start generator showing up in 2019. It is a mild hybrid setup that is said to add 90lbs of torque off the line, and take the place of the starter. One of the things that bugs me about the ESS is my feeling or perception that it will put wear on the starter that will cause it to fail sooner. Jeep claims they used a very robust starter that will handle it and last longer than a traditional starter. We shall see. Right now, I only use the ESS when in a long line at a drive through window. Otherwise, it is annoying as hell.

I'm reading now that the ESS battery is the one that does all of the starting, and that if it is drained, the JL won't start even if the big battery is charged. Sounds really odd. They are said to be connected in parallel, btw. To charge it, you hook the charger to the main battery and charge as normal until the ESS battery charges. I'm now wondering how you jump start it?

Look up either 4wd and off road or 4 Wheeler battery test. I'll try and find it and post the link. The Northstar and Oddyssey were the standouts, with the Optima doing pretty well, too, but clearly in 3rd place. Batteries plus sells the Nortstar rebadged as an X2 or something like that. I got 10% off by ordering through their web site. They are made in the US (I think Norwegian or Sweedish owned) and claim to have the most modern battery factory in the world. There are 2 levels of AGM. The ones you buy at Autozone/Advanced Auto are better than regular batteries, but the Northstar, Odyssey, and Optima are pure lead and perform even better, but are more expensive.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    [video=youtube_share;_zq47v-_lG4]https://youtu.be/_zq47v-_lG4[/video]

Ok, so maybe I was wrong and had bad info on what the littel battery does. This guy says it runs accessories while the ESS has the engine stopped. Interesting. That actually makes more sense. If that little battery could start the engine, why have a big battery?

This is fascinating stuff! What a pain in the butt, btw, to get to that little battery!

I'll be checking the owner's manual to see exactly how you are supposed to jump start the JL, should the need arise.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Ok, well, the mystery deepens....So, we're back to what was first thought....It starts from the little battery! WTH?!? Lol, I'd love to sit down with the chief powertrain engineer with about 50 questons!

Glad I got the stick. If jump starting is weird or doesn't work as in the past, I can clutch start this thing.

[video=youtube_share;KgvXTAnZvNE]https://youtu.be/KgvXTAnZvNE[/video]

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Just installed some KC gravity LED lights on the new bumper. Now I need to get them properly aimed tonight.

KbrAK5y.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The JK got some TLC today. The electronic swaybar disconnect last week failed to reconnect. The motor/actuator appears to be fine. That's good because they are $1200 bucks to replace. Ouch! The mechanism's on these are notorious for getting water intrusion and corrosion. Mine did just that. I removed the actuator, took out the sway bar, took apart the mechanism, then cleaned and wire brushed the parts in 1/2 of it. I have to do the same to the other half tomorrow, but it isn't as complicated, so it should be easy. Then, I'll coat it all liberally with marine grease. These things really need to be serviced at most, every 100,000 miles, maybe every 80, if you submerge them at all. I'll do this all again when the JK hits 200k miles. Got to get her ready for Moab in October. I'm taking the JL, but the JK might go, too, if we need more seats and cargo room for camping gear. Glad I checked the sway bar. I cycled the lockers a few times, and they were gtg. Next up are new plugs, diff fluid change, and transfer case fluid change. I'll do an oil change, too, the week before liftoff. This old girl is still quite the mountain goat, off-road. She's a comfortable highway machine, too.
    dxF4w3Z.jpg
    W2gkeAA.jpg
    cSlE2Ni.jpg
    WSsn1qn.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Check this out... https://www.quadratec.com/p/tuffy/tailgate-lock-box-jeep-wrangler-jl

I can't help but wonder if my Tavor would fit in there, if it didn't have the shelving. Or, maybe an AR pistol. Hmm.

I haven't measured it yet, but it is possible that Tavor could fit in the cargo tray in the rear. I will try to remember to check that this weekend.

Your Tavor is a hair over 26 inches. The tailgate box will be around 33 inches. My AR-15 with a 10.5 inch barrel will fit with the stock collapsed.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    TROVbwT.jpg
    I got the sway bar disconnect all cleaned up and gooped up with marine grease. It went back together easily. I'm now just stripping the powder coating off. It has rusted underneath, so it flakes right off. I'm putting a couple coats of Rustoleum Rust Reformer on it and then either tomorrow evening or Tuesday evening, I'll put it back together and see if it works. I tested it by pushing it with a screw driver and it seemed to work nice and smoothly. If the actuator works properly, which it should, then I'll be back in business and the JK will be ready for other maintenance to prepare her for Moab.
    V6nE2D4.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The sway bar is fixed! Saved some big money doing it myself. The old JK's first time out after the fix resulted in a balloon chase! These are the kinds of things kids LOVE about a Jeep!

t7slN5K.jpg
    lHWIk8i.mp4
    eUSvbj7.jpg

lHWIk8i.mp4

[video]https://i.imgur.com/lHWIk8i.mp4[/video]
    uqfCnnq.jpg

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Need Jeep electrical expert. How can a simple passenger door actuator swap out make things worse? Actuator will not work with key fob or power lock/unlock button. It will only work to lock the door... never unlock. After switch, the manual push button at the door handle will no longer open the door once it is unlocked. I have tried to program the fob. I have tried to program the vehicle from the manual. I have looked at the fuse... will replace just to see... Can't seem to chase down the issue.
    Any help would be great... May even get you a beer!!!

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Need Jeep electrical expert. How can a simple passenger door actuator swap out make things worse? Actuator will not work with key fob or power lock/unlock button. It will only work to lock the door... never unlock. After switch, the manual push button at the door handle will no longer open the door once it is unlocked. I have tried to program the fob. I have tried to program the vehicle from the manual. I have looked at the fuse... will replace just to see... Can't seem to chase down the issue.
    Any help would be great... May even get you a beer!!!

What year and model are you working on? Most of those body modules have to be programmed at the dealer, Autel and Snap-On also have some OEM level tech that will do the job I can program any replacement ECU/PCM or SKIM/ body module through 2015 model years with my Autel system.

Top Bottom