• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    What year and model are you working on? Most of those body modules have to be programmed at the dealer, Autel and Snap-On also have some OEM level tech that will do the job I can program any replacement ECU/PCM or SKIM/ body module through 2015 model years with my Autel system.

2009 JKU Sahara. I think I need help tracing if there is a ground fault. I was thinking of starting at the door connector, front and back end. It's just I do not know what I am doing with the meter... where to place the leads etc. I need to find a pin code, so I am told. If I know which wire controlled which function, I could work from there.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    2009 JKU Sahara. I think I need help tracing if there is a ground fault. I was thinking of starting at the door connector, front and back end. It's just I do not know what I am doing with the meter... where to place the leads etc. I need to find a pin code, so I am told. If I know which wire controlled which function, I could work from there.

I would start with the wiring harness on the drivers side door and move to the passenger side door. On my 2011 sierra the driver side door lock stopped functioning with the remote, I replaced the lock actuator and the problem was the same. After cutting open the wire harness between the pillar and the door I found a single broken gray wire. I cut it out and soldered in a new one and problem was fixed. On my grand Cherokee 2004 I have cut and replaced almost all the door wires as they break all the time. Sometimes random things happen, the dome light stays on after the doors are closed, some of the windows go down but not up, not all the doors lock with the remote. Every time its a broken door wire. I've already fixed a broken wire on the wife's 2014 Yukon. I'm tired of the manufactures ramming a 1 1/2" bundle of wires from the pillar to the door and expecting them to last when they get pinched every time the doors are closed. On my
    2015 wrangler I made sure and didn't get power windows and doors.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend

I don't have the FSM manual for that model with the wiring diagrams to send you but, Chrysler has a resource page for replacment harness connectors that by default specifies the wire color, function and pinout location for the entire harness just input your year and model information here: Mopar Connection Repair Kit

The pin code is nice to have, anyone with a programmer capable of the job will need it to program new keys, remotes, replacment PCM or body modules. You can get that from any Chrysler dealer with proof of ownership.

You could get by without it for some of the PCI BUS models that were made through 2006 for everything outside of the SKIM module functions but CAN systems are pretty airtight no way in without it.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    The link provided is awesome and much appreciated. As well, the information given is helpful. Thanks much! So do I just hold the black wire from the meter against metal on vehicle, the red wire from the meter into the connector for the specific wire I'm looking at and then have someone hit the switch?

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    The link provided is awesome and much appreciated. As well, the information given is helpful. Thanks much! So do I just hold the black wire from the meter against metal on vehicle, the red wire from the meter into the connector for the specific wire I'm looking at and then have someone hit the switch?
    If you were looking to test for voltage yes. No shame at all for folks that haven't needed to roll up their sleeves and learn to use a multimeter for testing i'd suggest watching some youtube videos on multimeter basics to learn how to use one for testing VDC and continuity on circuits.

You'll be looking for DC voltage and circuit continuity to ground on most automotive applications.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The LED headlights on the JL are amazing, and they cast a massive amount of light straight down the road. The fogs take care of the area just in front of the Jeep and a little to the sides, and the light bar has turned out to mostly be redundant with the high beam headlights, so it was a disappointment and may be gone soon. What I was missing was the area to the sides and about 45 degrees out. I put Rigid Side Shooter flood lights on the cowling and canted them outward a few degrees. Wow, did they make a massive difference! I can now see deer and animals to the side of the Jeep that might have been contemplating suicide! The sheer brightness on the Rigids is impressive, but the beam pattern with the floods is even more so. The 3 LED's on the side do an outstanding job of bringing the light backward a bit, as well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the small light bar. I may just get rid of it.

I'm really pleased with the overall lighting package and the pattern. It should be great for night trail runs in Colorado and Utah.

I can't say enough about the factory auxillary switches and wiring. The relays are built-in. All I have to do is connect power to the wire corresponding to the switch I want (The wires are both under the hood and under the passenger footwell, depending on what you want to do), then ground it, and boom....they are on! Hat's off to Jeep engineers for that one. Easy as can be.

vJZyhHO.jpg
    nryuOzU.jpg
    9KLogyz.jpg
    GPRmniq.jpg

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Any 02 liberty reviews out there? Found one with 160k decent shape and price.
    I have the original DRBIII Chrysler diagnostic tool and a couple Autel systems for newer models that can really scan the entire network of body modules outside of the generic OBDII stuff where the really expensive repair issues normally are.

If your near South Bend send me a message and swing by with it, I can plug it in and you can see the entire fault history in things like climate control functions, ABS & SRS modules, the security and ignition modules etc. that are really common on Jeeps this age.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Any 02 liberty reviews out there? Found one with 160k decent shape and price.

Be prepared for your windows to randomly drop. I have had to replace the window/track mechanism a couple times for a co-worker. They are poorly engineered/built and fail all the time. At least it is a quick and easy repair. Other than that, I think they have had good luck with their 2005.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I know someone looking at 2018 Jeep Hammer. I have yet to see one.
    FWIW I have owned a few Jeep Cherokees, they were generally solid.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Anyone ever replaced their door hinges before? I’m curious how difficult it would be to align the doors back up.

It's easy enough if you start with tracing an outline of the existing hinges before you remove them. Also, you need a hobbyist style knife to cut the paint around the hinge outside edges and the screws an impact screwdriver is a lifesaver to get the hardware started out they are usually frozen in place and pretty tough to break loose without stripping something.

A floor jack with some blocking and padding really helps to control the weight of the door coming off or going back on.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Here is the mystery mod....Step 1, clean the oil off the steel plate with brake cleaner and alcohol. Then, lightly coat it with Rustoleum Rust Reformer as a primer. After that, a few coats of Rustoleum Professional Grade Truck Bed Liner.

Stay tuned for what's next...This is a simple, neat mod for trail running in remote areas, such as out west. It is set up for the JL, but should also easily work with a JK and maybe even a TJ, if the bolt pattern on the wheels is the same.

Stay tuned!
    YbGXmEu.jpg
    QzguhDq.jpg
    LlVSeZ1.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    So my wife called me the other day and stated the Dodge had called her.
    I was busy at work and didn’t really listen to what she was talking about.
    So I get home today and she bought this!
    View attachment 69922

I didn’t know you could get leather seats in a Jeep?

View attachment 69923

They really wanted to get rid of a leftover 2017!

View attachment 69924
    Sweet! Rubicons are absolute mountain goats! You'll go places you won't believe sitting in the comfort of that leather! Of course, that's assuming your wife lets you! Lol! :) Sounds like you married well!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    So, here is the completion of the mystery mod....

I've slightly increased the effective combat range on the JL! I added a Rotopax 3.5 gallon fuel tank for trails out west that might tax the maximum range of this thing. Really, my buddy with his 2 door will likely get the fuel. His Jeep has very short range compared to mine. Either way, it should give me 35 to 40 mlies of additional range off-road and probably 65 or so miles on road. The best part of it is that the rear camera still works perfectly, even with the can on there! It also locks, which is nice, as long as I don't lose the key. Maybe I should pack a siphon hose...;) ...Just in case!

ajhjhlS.jpg
    wgcwUlZ.jpg

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    So my wife called me the other day and stated the Dodge had called her.
    I was busy at work and didn’t really listen to what she was talking about.
    So I get home today and she bought this!
    View attachment 69922

I didn’t know you could get leather seats in a Jeep?

View attachment 69923

They really wanted to get rid of a leftover 2017!

View attachment 69924

my wife would want that blue challenger in the garage. She likes challengers, a drive in movie theater opens up in three weeks and I hope to borrow my uncles blue challenger for a date night.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Very nice setup. Wish the JK had the wiring and switches already built in!

What light bar and mount is that on your bumper?

The LED headlights on the JL are amazing, and they cast a massive amount of light straight down the road. The fogs take care of the area just in front of the Jeep and a little to the sides, and the light bar has turned out to mostly be redundant with the high beam headlights, so it was a disappointment and may be gone soon. What I was missing was the area to the sides and about 45 degrees out. I put Rigid Side Shooter flood lights on the cowling and canted them outward a few degrees. Wow, did they make a massive difference! I can now see deer and animals to the side of the Jeep that might have been contemplating suicide! The sheer brightness on the Rigids is impressive, but the beam pattern with the floods is even more so. The 3 LED's on the side do an outstanding job of bringing the light backward a bit, as well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the small light bar. I may just get rid of it.

I'm really pleased with the overall lighting package and the pattern. It should be great for night trail runs in Colorado and Utah.

I can't say enough about the factory auxillary switches and wiring. The relays are built-in. All I have to do is connect power to the wire corresponding to the switch I want (The wires are both under the hood and under the passenger footwell, depending on what you want to do), then ground it, and boom....they are on! Hat's off to Jeep engineers for that one. Easy as can be.

GPRmniq.jpg

Top Bottom