Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Well, I finally upgraded the avionics on my old JK. The OEM Uconnect nav system served me well for more than a decade, but the maps were way out of date and the lack of Bluetooth for music was a real pain. I put a new Pioneer head unit in that cost me under 300 bucks on Black Friday. It is really nice and sounds really good. (The factory unit sounded good, but this one is better, for sure.) Anyway, I now have Android Auto which gets it nearly on par with the Uconnect 4.0 system in my JL. It kinda made the old Jeep feel somewhat new again. I also finally received the insulated cover for my fridge. That'll be nice when summer returns.

Very nice!! I've been thinking about doing something like this in my JK since I don't have any navigation at all. So does the Pioneer head unit have built in navigation or does it work through your phone?

also, what extras did you need for the install?

thanks!
    Clay

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow, that sounds good, but that's a long time for the closure. I guess I will have to make the run down to Interlake. I do love the picnic areas along the trails there. Sounds like they will make it even nicer.
    This doesn't even TOUCH on what is coming in the next few years. Paving the "tow road" back to the shelter house is the first HUGE step that they have been waiting on (and waiting on the $$$) for years. The overall plan is to make Redbird as nice as Interlake.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Very nice!! I've been thinking about doing something like this in my JK since I don't have any navigation at all. So does the Pioneer head unit have built in navigation or does it work through your phone?

thanks!
    Clay

It uses your phone through Android Auto or Apple Car Play. I use Android Auto, so I get the choice of Google Maps or Waze.

I didn't do the installation. It was free with purchase at Best Buy and those guys do a great job (Avon store). They have a lifetime warranty on the installation, too. This is about the 3rd vehicle I've had them do over the years and never had an issue.

It required a wiring harness, plastic bezel, a couple other small wires or doohickies and I added a Sirius/XM antenna. Btw, if you do Sirius XM, they have a "free" 3 month trial. They charge a $15 activation free, but a little *****ing and moaning about it gets them to waive it. Just remember to cancel it at 3 months, or they'll get you for $20/month afterward. Once you cancel, they'll offer you a comeback deal such as 5 bucks a month. I recently had an offer from them to go 3 years for 99 bucks. I'll probably do something like that, eventually. I can live without it, though, but I got a Black Friday deal on the antenna, which was like 25 bucks or something.

08's didn't come with steering wheel controls, but if you have those, there is a wiring harnass that makes it work with them, too.

Overall, I'm loving it. The phone interface is so much better. The microphone works great. The sound is outstanding, and it is nice to finally have navigation that is 100% up to date with all the great features of Google Maps and Waze.

They are always running sales on this particular unit, too. If you have an Apple, either Alpine or Pioneer makes one that works wirelessly with Apple Car Play. Unfortunately, Android Auto works with a cable only, although that is fine because I usually need to charge the phone, anyway.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

thanks!
    Clay

If you are wanting to DIY, Check out Crutchfield.com if you have not already (including wiring harness, and even speaker connection adapters to use factory speaker connections where possible with aftermarket speakers). They will show you what fits, what you will need for your particular vehicle and they supply free install info and instructions if you buy, or I think you can pay for the instructions if you are not buying from them. Someone on a jeep forum may have posted them up there if they already purchased from Crutchfield.

I did mine in my 07 FJ (I did not have steering wheel controls), and it was not too bad with the instructions, etc from Crutchfield. Replaced head unit with one with Bluetooth and touch screen, etc the 6x9's in the doors, tweeters with filters in the dash a couple of years back.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I put in a set of moog ball joints today. Everything went smooth, kept the joints in the freezer over night and heated up the c with a map gas torch. Ball joints dropped right in with very little help from the press.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    How much was that Brute?? ElDirector??
    The link claims $63,472. I meant to stop by today just to chat, and see what they are really asking. Didn't get around to it, though. Maybe Monday.

Brutes USED to go for big money. With the Gladiator coming out in a couple of months, I just don't see it being worth more than any other hacked up JK with 88K miles. For the money, you could get a zero-mile JT, mod the heck out of it, and have cash left over. Still not a hemi, but would have a warranty.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    The link claims $63,472. I meant to stop by today just to chat, and see what they are really asking. Didn't get around to it, though. Maybe Monday.

Brutes USED to go for big money. With the Gladiator coming out in a couple of months, I just don't see it being worth more than any other hacked up JK with 88K miles. For the money, you could get a zero-mile JT, mod the heck out of it, and have cash left over. Still not a hemi, but would have a warranty.

A dealership in my area had a brute listed for $120k...i couldn’t believe it

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Light bar gone, Hella 500 Black Magic incandescent lights on! The light bar was great, but the LED headlights are so good, it didn't really add anything to them. So, as insurance in case the LEDs freeze over in a snow storm, I added the Hellas. In spring of 2015, on the way home from the Easter Jeep Safari, the LED Truck Lites on my JK froze over in a blizzard in Vail Pass. The incandescent fog lights were all I had left, and they were a little less than adequate. I don't know if the OEM LEDs on the JL will freeze, or not, but these Hellas have more than enough to get the job done if they do.
    7evqiZC.jpg
    b0hwPgA.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don’t have any good pictures to post up. But I recently installed the new Quadratec/JW Speaker heated LED headlights, and the JW Speaker LED foglights. These suckers are bright.

And they look awesome since they’re black :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I love the meme. Those angry face grills are the "No Fear" stickers of their day. Pretty much guaranteed that 99.99% of the angry faced drivers couldn't fight their way out of a wet bag.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    15,500 in a year? Good grief! My wife's JK is exactly two years old, with 47,000 on it. Reminds me... time for an oil change again...

I'm splitting between the old JK and the JL, so between the two, I do put some miles on them. The JL did put a few thousand miles on the clock in October on the Moab trip. The 08 JK has 127k on it.

Top Bottom