• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I haul my yak on top of my Explorer. I have a light for size old boat, but no getting around the awkwardness of getting it up on the rack. Gotta go slow and carefull to not slip up and be dragging or banging boat on paint. Sometimes that's tedious, when you realize you are looking up through a cloud of mosquitos.

Your call, but I'd put a WTB add in the classifieds for a nice SOT 'yak. Never know what you might come up with. My last boat came from the INGO classy's.

I get the impression that Kayaks do not hold resale value very well? It doesn't take long to scratch up the shiny parts.

It is almost September. Might be better pricing with the season fading? That might not be the case with your higher end peddelers like Hobie?
    Right now resale values are high due to the shortage and demand. I may post an ad, good idea. But it would be for a sit-in which appears to not be as popular.

bcskypilot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Jan 22, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Started with one kayak about 2 years ago. Just picked up a tandem for what is our fifth one now. Addicting. Great for solo floats & amazing times with the fam!

I've never paid to drop ours. Check out the GoPaddling App. It gives you local & free kayak & canoe drop points.

GoPaddling App

Gator Rubi Hobi.jpeg

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks. I'm looking for sit-in ABS but maybe a PE if the right one shows up.
    I use the sit in ABS for the small creeks we travel around here. I like some creature comforts. An adjustable seat (incline/recline) with some padding. a drink holder. a pole holder or 2. The paddle holders are super nice too. dry storage compartment is handy as well. The biggest thing for comfort are properly adjusted foot pedals. IMHO

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Started with one kayak about 2 years ago. Just picked up a tandem for what is our fifth one now. Addicting. Great for solo floats & amazing times with the fam!

I've never paid to drop ours. Check out the GoPaddling App. It gives you local & free kayak & canoe drop points.

GoPaddling App

View attachment 154575
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So when you guys do a creek or river do you paddle up and then float back, paddle down and back, shuttle vehicles between in and outs? What's the norm for the central Indiana area? I also notice people on the White River but from what I've heard about the water quality I'm not so sure that I'd be comfortable on it in a kayak because isn't half the fun being able to go over the side when you get too hot?

I specifically call out the White River because we're only about a 1/4 mile as the crow flies and we're in northern Morgan county so the effluent from Indy's wastewater treatment plant is a legitimate concern I believe.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So when you guys do a creek or river do you paddle up and then float back, paddle down and back, shuttle vehicles between in and outs? What's the norm for the central Indiana area? I also notice people on the White River but from what I've heard about the water quality I'm not so sure that I'd be comfortable on it in a kayak because isn't have the fun being able to go over the side when you get too hot?

I specifically call out the White River because we're only about a 1/4 mile as the crow flies and we're in northern Morgan county so the effluent from Indy's wastewater treatment plant is a legitimate concern I believe.
    I wouldnt disagree. But not all people are that smart. People fish under and just downstream of the Southport road bridge over the river.

That is the discharge channel.

EDIT: Holy crap, I think thats a guy FISHING in the discharge. :puke:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I wouldnt disagree. But not all people are that smart. People fish under and just downstream of the Southport road bridge over the river.

That is the discharge channel.

EDIT: Holy crap, I think thats a guy FISHING in the discharge. :puke:
    Yeah we see people fishing right there at Southport all the time. What you don't know won't hurt you I guess! :runaway:

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I have 3 kayaks, all various Perception models. I usually get in about 150 miles of flat water kayaking a year. It is absolutely one of my favorite things to do. I rented a Hobie about 6 years ago in Florida and paddled on the bay at Siesta and Casey Key and was hooked. I came home and bought my first kayak after doing a bunch of research on what I wanted. There is a BIG difference in paddling a "good" kayak vs. paddling a wally world special.

Dirty Steve

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have 3 kayaks, all various Perception models. I usually get in about 150 miles of flat water kayaking a year. It is absolutely one of my favorite things to do. I rented a Hobie about 6 years ago in Florida and paddled on the bay at Siesta and Casey Key and was hooked. I came home and bought my first kayak after doing a bunch of research on what I wanted. There is a BIG difference in paddling a "good" kayak vs. paddling a wally world special.

Dirty Steve
    What perception models do you have? I'm looking at the Carolina 12 and 14, and the Expression 11.5

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    What perception models do you have? I'm looking at the Carolina 12 and 14, and the Expression 11.5
    I have a Prescador 10 (sit on top), Carolina 12 (inside) and a Tribe 13.5 tandem (sit on top). Each has their merits, but they are all a joy to paddle. The Carolina 12 is the "fastest" to paddle but it is hot in the summer with your legs inside, at least for me. It's more of an early spring, late fall boat for my purposes. The Prescador 10 is so easy to throw on top of the Subie or in the back of my truck. It paddles nicely and I can hang my legs over the side in the water when it's really hot and sit on it like a surfboard. All 3 are super stable.

I would recommend a kayak model with dry storage. It's nice to stuff a dry bag, towel, change of clothes, sunscreen and lunch inside. I've stuffed a hammock and some other gear in it and camped as well. I use a roll up ice-mule cooler and strap it in the tank well in the back for drinks. It's easy to reach around behind you, pull the cooler out and get a drink while paddling.

Dirty Steve

anvil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2017
    N.E. In.
    i quit using my kayak many years ago,,,prefer canoes--have solo & tandem. The open boat so much more usable for hunting, fishing , camping. I can out manuver most kayakers on the rivers. use carbon fiber bent paddle-- makes a lot of difference. I do and have rented kayaks for large open water--ocean.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    i quit using my kayak many years ago,,,prefer canoes--have solo & tandem. The open boat so much more usable for hunting, fishing , camping. I can out manuver most kayakers on the rivers. use carbon fiber bent paddle-- makes a lot of difference. I do and have rented kayaks for large open water--ocean.
    I have a fair amount of canoeing under my belt. This will be a new venture for me but one I'm pretty sure I'll like.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    i quit using my kayak many years ago,,,prefer canoes--have solo & tandem. The open boat so much more usable for hunting, fishing , camping. I can out maneuver most kayakers on the rivers. use carbon fiber bent paddle-- makes a lot of difference. I do and have rented kayaks for large open water--ocean.
    I was just the opposite. I got a canoe as a high school graduation gift and paddled most of the "canoeable" water in the State in my early 20-30's and did trips like paddling down the Big South Fork of the Cumberland from TN back north to Lake Cumberland in KY, numerous boundary waters trips and local overnights. Kids came along and I fell out of it for many years. Kayaks got me back on the water. Still have my canoe and use it for hunting, but I much prefer a kayak.

Dirty Steve

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Went to a pool session in Indy last night. Basic stuff; strokes, wet exit, tried out three different boats, one whitewater, one "crossover" and one touring. Had a good time and even went out afterwards with the instructors for a bite to eat. I was able to pick their brains.

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    We bought 4 Perception Prescador SOT kayaks a few years ago. Thought it would be a fun family activity but the teenagers are too cool to hang out with the parents. So now me and the wife spend the afternoon together. We usually hit different lakes in the area for leisurely paddles around the lake. We find it fun to check out the million dollar homes and boats in our $450 kayaks. Nice way to get the lake life on the cheap.

Top Bottom