• ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    "Memento virga caput occidere zombus" would be a cool tattoo. :D
    That might not be 100% latin but some people might understand.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    not really appreciating all the priest jokes... but not handing out any neg reps... yet.

but yes, "memento amare" is the command form of "remember to love."

The phrase "memento mori" is usually translated as "remenber you will die" or something like that.But im not an expert.
    "memento Mori" means "remember you will die." "memento More" means "remember your death."

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There are translation sites on the internet. Just google "Latin translator" and there will be several. I use the translation sites all the time for Hellenistic Greek translation. Good Luck

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I've always wondered about some of the Chinese symbols people get inked onto themselves. I don't ask the people, I just assume it translates to something like, "I have unusually low self-esteem." or "Pencil Dick."

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am going to be getting another tattoo soon and I want to make sure I have the translation 100% correct before proceeding. I want it to say "Remember to Love" in Latin. From my research I believe it should be "Memento Amare" Can anyone here help:dunno:

On a serious note, I think it should be Amor Memento... :dunno:

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I think with as many Latin quotes as I see flying around here in people little "signature" lines that we should have tons of latin gurus around here, that, or actual Spartans. I've seen more latin in signature lines on this site then any other place I've visited, irl or on the interwebs!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I think with as many Latin quotes as I see flying around here in people little "signature" lines that we should have tons of latin gurus around here, that, or actual Spartans. I've seen more latin in signature lines on this site then any other place I've visited, irl or on the interwebs!

Spartans?

Silverado

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I've always wondered about some of the Chinese symbols people get inked onto themselves. I don't ask the people, I just assume it translates to something like, "I have unusually low self-esteem." or "Pencil Dick."

Or "Combo #3" :):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There are translation sites on the internet. Just google "Latin translator" and there will be several. I use the translation sites all the time for Hellenistic Greek translation. Good Luck

I wouldnt trust any kind of online translator, especially for a tattoo.
    I always test them with a couple of languages I know before using them to translate something in a language I dont know, just to see how good they are, and it is very rare that they are right 100% of the time.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

you do realize that the Spartans would not have spoken Latin, correct?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The best advice you'll ever get is if you don't speak/read/write the language fluently YOURSELF, don't get it tattooed on your body.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The best advice you'll ever get is if you don't speak/read/write the language fluently YOURSELF, don't get it tattooed on your body.

That is wise and you would think it's common sense but I seen many people with tattoos in languages other than their own with spelling mistakes or sometimes just upside down. :rolleyes:

Im not sure why they do that if they cant read the language themselves anyway.
    Maybe they think it's cool to have a message written in an exotic language, but it's not that cool when people that can actually read that language make fun of you because it's all wrong and you cant even see it by yourself. :):

Top Bottom