• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's interesting, seen it before. I've only seen the magnet thing done on the small Sentry safes. Are there any Gun safes that the magnet will open?
    I'm sure it won't work on something with a dial lock, or even a key.

A lot of these cheap keypad "safes" use a an electromagnet, so it's an easy step to use a magnet.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    That's interesting, seen it before. I've only seen the magnet thing done on the small Sentry safes. Are there any Gun safes that the magnet will open?
    They are typically the electronic keypad safes that use solenoids. The traditional mechanical dial lock may have some vulnerabilities but can't be hacked with a magnet. I won't own a safe with an electronic lock for that reason. I'm certain there are some with electronic locks but they are for commercial use and well beyond being affordable for home use. The electronic safes you see at Lowe's, Home Depot, Staples, Sam's Club, etc., and nearly all electronic keypad handgun safes are cracked in seconds.

Marc Tobias put together an excellent video on their basic vulnerability. It's five years old, but the principles haven't changed even though some of the designs have been modified.

[video=youtube;CEsxltQ4ZCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEsxltQ4ZCM[/video]

The magnet method of activating the solenoid is demonstrated here; only needs knowing where the solenoid is:

[video=youtube;u3p5KUNfDG0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3p5KUNfDG0[/video]

John

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Drilling the lock is a simple process as long and the lock doesn’t have a relocating mechanism. Would be much easier than cutting through the bottom. And you can find a replacement lock on eBay for around 60 bucks. Just my 2 cents

I'd consider a locksmith until all of my quotes were $450 -600 for 2hrs of work. The price goes up $100/hr if it takes longer. Also wouldn't drilling expose the "SUPER SECRET" point on the safe that bypasses the relockers etc? I'd think a cutting wheel would be through 1/8" steel in 2 hours max. I've got access to steel and could easily replace the bottom.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Just in case anyone was following this thread, I cut a hole in the bottom of the safe and pulled the lock out. Turns out the lock was internally broken. That small brass cube is supposed to be a part of the brass ring. I wonder if it broke due to resetting the combination by flicking the dial too quickly?

1019172050[1].jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just in case anyone was following this thread, I cut a hole in the bottom of the safe and pulled the lock out. Turns out the lock was internally broken. That small brass cube is supposed to be a part of the brass ring. I wonder if it broke due to resetting the combination by flicking the dial too quickly?

View attachment 60080

Sorry you had to cut into it, but glad to hear the resolution.

Top Bottom