• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm super close to being able to get my first 1911. As you all know there are a ridiculous amount of choices. I noticed that the S & W 1911 isn't discussed near as much as RIA's, Springer's, and Kimbers etc. So that's my question. Anything wrong with them? Anything really right with them? I likely will want to use it in USPSA single stack a few times as well as possibly carrying it.

The Smith seems to be in a price range between cheaper and mid-upper. Is that just paying for a name, with the quality the same as the other guys?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm super close to being able to get my first 1911. As you all know there are a ridiculous amount of choices. I noticed that the S & W 1911 isn't discussed near as much as RIA's, Springer's, and Kimbers etc. So that's my question. Anything wrong with them? Anything really right with them? I likely will want to use it in USPSA single stack a few times as well as possibly carrying it.

The Smith seems to be in a price range between cheaper and mid-upper. Is that just paying for a name, with the quality the same as the other guys?

I would like to add a S&W 1911 to my collection:yesway:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Some of the 1911 purists would frown at the external extractor. Not because it's faulty, but because that's not the way John Moses Browning designed it. :) The write-up and photos in Guns and Ammo certainly catch the eye. I held one at a 1500 a time or two ago and it seemed pretty well finished to me. Some MIM in there, but no more (or less) so than others in the price range. Someone who has one will probably be along in a minute to give you the straight scoop.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I don't have any smith 1911s but I have bid on 2 at auctions they were both Doug Koenig editions and were vary nice.I was also talking to a local gunshop owner and he said he prefers the compact smith over the ultra kimber for function and value.that was his opinion.

blue edge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Louisville, KY

Not for me.
    Go over and see Bob! He is in your home town ( Bite the Bullett gun shop) Try a STI Spartan!

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I own everything from Colt, Springfield, and even Parker Arms 1911's but my Smith is my daily carry piece. It has ate everything that I fed it, and no malfunctions after 2100 rounds fired.:rockwoot:

HogDaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    s indy
    I also own different 1911s but carry a S&W 1911 pd the most. It is tight, light rail, nite sights, ambi safety, gunner grips. It shoots very well, has never jammed, has a scadnium frame for ease of carry. S&W i believe still makes Kimber slides and frames.

trigger643

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've shot several of them and found them quite capable. I for one like the external extractor feature and that is one of the reasons I went with the Sig GSR as one of my 1911 purchases. I haven't added a S&W to my bin yet, but I see no reason why I won't when the opportunity comes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I wouldn't let the external extractor worry me too much. The Browning Hi-Powers used to have an internal one and they still work great, either way.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I also own different 1911s but carry a S&W 1911 pd the most. It is tight, light rail, nite sights, ambi safety, gunner grips. It shoots very well, has never jammed, has a scadnium frame for ease of carry. S&W i believe still makes Kimber slides and frames.

That's actually the one I was looking at.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I have the stainless 108282 , and I'm very happy with it. I picked one up with a first responder discount for $708 with 3 mags. I felt for that price, there wasn't much in that range that could touch it.

Fit and finish is great with one exception, the trigger has some side to side slop. More of nuisance than function concern, seems to be consistent on the S&W 1911s as well (not spotty quality control).

It's been a rock solid performer for me, fed whatever I've thrown at it.

Top Bottom