Any models of Remington 870 to stay away from?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am looking to pick up hopefully a used Remington 870 to use as a deer & turkey gun. Are there any years or models that I should keep away from? Are the new guns as good as the older ones?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I like the old wingmasters.

If you want it for turkey you might get the mag version to shoot 3 inch shells.

There are a ton of used 870 wingmasters out and about most likely as cheap as the newer express versions.

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood

There are a ton of used 870 wingmasters out and about most likely as cheap as the newer express versions.

Where would you look for an old wingmaster? I have been trying to find one for a few months now & can not seem to find any used ones.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I think I would start out at the Indiana gun club. They have changed a bit the last time I stopped buy but at one time they had so many used shotguns in the shop that the isle was crowded. I think that guy runs atterbury now and some one else runs the gun club, When i last looked they had 30+ 870's but like I said thing in management have changed.

Gunbroker.
    REMINGTON 870 WINGMASTER MAGNUM 12 GA W/ 3 BBLS : Pump at GunBroker.com

380 right now with 3 barrels 2 of them vent rib. shipping and ffl extra. there are 132 wingmasters for sale here. lots of the 28 guage ones for sale right now.

I will check my local gun pushers if you want.

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Smooth, fixed full choke. Most of the older Wingmasters have a fixed barrel on them - they fetch a nice price on gunbroker (to buy one with screw-in or different choke) or a gunsmith can open it up to modified.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I cannot say that I have ever seen a "bad" model of 870.

The wingmasters are nice and finished great... the police versions are nice.. the marine versions have a good coating... the express is the economy. Realistically, even the express is a great shotgun, and is well suited for most uses.

The newer models have plastic trigger guards, but as unpleasant as that sounds, many have shown them to be superior (stronger and don't rust).

The furniture changed a bit over the years.

You really can't go wrong with any model 870 IMO.

Finding one that has the features you want at the best price is what means the most. (barrel type / length / choke / furniture)

Last edited:

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    I ended up finding a nice almost brand new 870 Magnum Express for a good price. It came with the 28" barrel & I think that I will get a slug barrel for deer season. Thanks for all the helpful information.

btgarner0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Southern IN
    I feel you just can't go wrong with an 870. I sold my Wing Master some time back and regret it. I needed some cash due to divorce, should of just stuck it out and saved it. Best all around shot gun I ever owned.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

THIS!

I found a great used one at Tactical Shot Gunner and it is sweet! The action smooth as butter, much better than the Express I had before.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    THIS!

I found a great used one at Tactical Shot Gunner and it is sweet! The action smooth as butter, much better than the Express I had before.
    How long did you have the express? All three that I've owned started out a bit rough but worked themselves out.

Top Bottom