Any of the Indianapolis members care to give a rebuttal to this article?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As various community entities work to sort out the problems in Indy and devise tangible solutions, we have to do so with the same out-of-the-box approach I detailed in this column a few short weeks ago.

Was that out-of-the-box approach: "Stop having kids out of wedlock, stop encouraging willful ignorance as a culture, abolish the Welfare State and get a job"?

I am guessing no.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    When people aggressively shoot police officers with assault-style rifles typically used in wars, we have a major problem.

This is the only line you need to read to know that the writer is plain stupid or is lying to you. Either way she shouldn't be allowed to write an article on the subject.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    In my opinion she lost any credibility she might have had when she called for Mayor Ballard to become part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns. That group isn't against illegal guns, they are against legal gun ownership. If you follow what that group wants you will end up like Chicago. Just my :twocents:.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    as a journalist, I'd like to offer a rebuttal: She didn't spell Renn's name right. Mentioning an officer who died in a car wreck while talking about violence is a red herring. Her writing demonstrates at best a tenth-grade understanding of the English language (I'm not talking about the style of writing, as most newspapers are written at about an 8th grade level). How does a national crime statistic of 250,000 guns being stolen indicate a problem in Indy? If that number was for Indy alone, then yes, we would have an epidemic, as that would mean that there are more people in Indy stealing guns than buying them. 22 IMPD officers were shot at. Ok, that is a bit of a misnomer, but is still bad. Given that IMPD sent 6 cars after that bank robbery suspect a month ago, there's about 10 cops that were shot at.

"I commend all of the people (including myself) ..." wow. stellar journalism there.

I agree with the overall theme of her article, but the city is not as dire as she makes it seem. We do need to crack down on crime in this city. She could/should have gone a lot of different ways with this than she did, for instance: Why did the police fire 22 shots and only make one non-fatal wound, while the BG got 3 shots on target (I can't find how many shots he fired)? Do we need better training for our officers? Why did one of the bullets go through his vest (as reported in the Star)? Do we need better vests for our officers? Why are we focusing our anger on gun violence at the guns, rather than a societal system that places no value on human life, and does not adequately reinforce moral character? Do we need more community outreach programs run by our officers?

Guns do not cause crime. People with a malformed conscience cause crime.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When people repeatedly burglarize gun shops, we have a significant problem.

I don't read the Indy papers but is this a problem up there? I remember some attempt a few weeks ago but I don't recall hearing repeated, successful attempts.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Was that out-of-the-box approach: "Stop having kids out of wedlock, stop encouraging willful ignorance as a culture, abolish the Welfare State and get a job"?

I am guessing no.

Hey man ! Watch slinging that common sense stuff around here , you'll get it all over the place and we can't have that .

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I don't read the Indy papers but is this a problem up there? I remember some attempt a few weeks ago but I don't recall hearing repeated, successful attempts.

I think it's all "relative" depending on how you view time .

I think over the course of 3-4 years I can recall 3 , Don's , Pop's and the one over on Rockville road but I can't remember their name .

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I am against illegal guns too. The law is against illegal guns. That's why they are illegal. Getting 'illegal' (or legal) guns out of the hands of criminals/unstable individuals is something we haven't figured out how to do. I'm for that. Any suggestions? Having an opinion is the easy thing. Getting something done is more difficult. Smart guns that only hit (disable) bad guys. Somebody work on that.

p.s. I have 2 guns on the table. How do I tell which one is 'illegal'?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am against illegal guns too. The law is against illegal guns. That's why they are illegal. Getting 'illegal' (or legal) guns out of the hands of criminals/unstable individuals is something we haven't figured out how to do. I'm for that. Any suggestions? Having an opinion is the easy thing. Getting something done is more difficult. Smart guns that only hit (disable) bad guys. Somebody work on that.

p.s. I have 2 guns on the table. How do I tell which one is 'illegal'?

They both are...guilt by association.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :ugh::ugh::ugh:

I don't even know where to begin. I suppose I will go chronologically throughout this woman's article.

"Last year, over 250,000 guns were stolen from homes, stores or were lost. Many of these guns were semi-automatic weapons."
    -Okay. How many of those firearms stolen in the entire country have been used in crimes in Indianapolis?

"Over the past week, three law enforcement officials died in the line of duty: Tipton County sheriff’s deputy, Jacob Calvin was killed in an automobile accident, Gary police officer Jeffrey Westerfield was found in his squad car shot in the head as he responded to shots fired related to a domestic dispute, and IMPD officer Perry Renan who was killed in a gunfight on the city’s"
    -And Deputy Calvin's death was caused by violent weapons, how?

"When people repeatedly burglarize gun shops, we have a significant problem."
    -Great. Why isn't addressing this problem the focus of your rant, instead of gun ownership?

"When people aggressively shoot police officers with assault-style rifles typically used in wars, we have a major problem."
    -So if someone were to use a flintlock pistol or a crossbow to shoot police officers, its not a major problem? How about a javelin?

"When upon fatally wounding police officers, people make comments such as “(the officer) should have stayed in the car,” which is what a relative of Renn’s murderer said, we have a serious problem."
    -You take what a family member said in a state of grief, and apply that statement to all "people", I have to wonder if you in fact heard anyone else make that statement, or if you just read it in an article by a real journalist and thought it would be nifty for your op-ed piece.

"When someone fails to value the very existence of another human being and will shoot someone dead because they don’t possess the necessary conflict resolution skills, it is time for us to declare a state of emergency on our city."
    -Your idea of necessary conflict resolution skills is to declare martial law on this city? That would be the first time that's been done since 1961. If that happens, enjoy a curfew for everyone, and being searched getting your morning latte from Starbucks. Please, do some actual research into what martial law is. Or, since you apparently don't like research, watch the movie The Siege. It will be kind of like that, but for everybody.

"As various community entities work to sort out the problems in Indy and devise tangible solutions, we have to do so with the same out-of-the-box approach I detailed in this column a few short weeks ago.
    -If you are a regular columnist, then the editors should be holding you to much higher journalistic standards than a regular citizen sending in an opinion letter. Shame on them, and on you.

"I commend all of the individuals (including myself) who have had multiple conversations relative to combating crime. But perhaps those conversations with other like-minded people aren’t good enough. Perhaps we have been preaching to the choir, which in turn has had little impact on truly reducing crime."
    -Tooting your own horn, much? And perhaps your sermon and your like-minded choir simply have the wrong solution, but somehow I have the feeling that admitting you're wrong or misinformed is not something that happens to you very often.

"Amos Brown makes a great point in his column below. Mayor Ballard should become a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns if for no other reason than to learn and implement some of the initiatives that other mayoral participants have found successful. Ballard needs to get more involved. He needs to roll up his sleeves and get to work. That work should not be restricted to only delegating and holding press conferences. The mayor’s efforts to combat crime need to be more substantial and the process needs to begin immediately."
    -I had to chuckle at this one. And now that I'm through chuckling, I will implore you to change your stance on research. Please, plllleeeeaaaassssseeeeee show me some evidence that any city whose mayor is a part of that privately funded political machine has experienced a decrease in crime as a result.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When people aggressively shoot police officers with assault-style rifles typically used in wars, we have a major problem.

Uh, is there a way to shoot police officers that is not aggressive?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Uh, is there a way to shoot police officers that is not aggressive?

OK tenuous association, but it deals with the proper use of words. When walking my dog, I pass a local remodeling business whose trucks carry the logo "perfection done right."
    Is there any other way?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    OK tenuous association, but it deals with the proper use of words. When walking my dog, I pass a local remodeling business whose trucks carry the logo "perfection done right."
    Is there any other way?

"We did this completely wrong, but got really lucky when an earthquake shifted it, and it came out perfect anyway" perhaps?

Top Bottom