• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Man, I am going to have to break down and buy a new truck. I really wanted another 3/4 ton....but I have a chance to get a 2019 F-150 SuperCrew cab, 4x4, XLT with Sport package. It is a nice truck, 60,000 miles and a pretty decent price. The draw back to me is 1/2 ton......and it has that twin turbo 2.7L V-6.

I am getting to the point though where I hardly ever haul huge loads, and my dump trailer usually never exceeds 9,000 pounds and I don't plan on plowing snow with it.....so I am wondering if I would be happy with 22 MPG and a 1/2 ton. I mean, I would still have my old F250 for trash runs and going to the dump.

What say you guys.....all opinions welcome. Just wondering if any of you have this truck/engine combination?

Thanks!
    After 2010 ford went with electric assist steering on the 150 eco boost engine trucks. Boss won’t mount a plow on new 150’s due to overloading the steering system. Don’t belive they use the elec. assist steering in the biger v6 and 8 trucks. Have a friend that’s an sae certified mechanic for over 30 years and he told me everyone loves those twin turbo eco boost engines at the shop. Says they are real money makers. If I remember right he said those turbo were like $1500. That’s how that little engine gets its hp. Worst engines on the market according to him and Scotty Kilmer. So if you aren’t going to put a plow on it or work it like a truck go for it or if you are keeping your work horse get a heck of a nice 30-40 mpg Honda or Toyota car for the same price. P.S. my dad was one of those sucked in to a new 150 in 2014. Traded off his totally fine 1999 f150 4x4 on a new delux 4 door 2014 150. Went to the Boss dealer to have a new mount and controller put on the new truck 3 months later because he let those go with the old truck. That’s when I learned first hand how elec. asst. doesn’t go with the newer small engine trucks. He went back to the dealer and they told him it was the truth and it would void the warranty if he put a plow on it. It was a here’s your prize type deal. Car salesmen are real close to the scum of the earth, least ways far from the salt shaker anyway. So buyer beware.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know I am getting old, but I start getting really nervous when an average pickup costs over $60,000. The Local ford dealer had one displayed with a big sign that said it was clearance priced. I circled the block to look again. After the discounts it was "only" $79,999.. Even when my annual was solid in the 6 figure range and I had to file quarterly taxes, I would have thought $60K was a lot of money for a depreciating asset.

(warning; old man saying inbound) My first house was less than $35,00 and it about killed me to get 10% down.

I don't know how everyone does it.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    After 2010 ford went with electric assist steering on the 150 eco boost engine trucks. Boss won’t mount a plow on new 150’s due to overloading the steering system. Don’t belive they use the elec. assist steering in the biger v6 and 8 trucks. Have a friend that’s an sae certified mechanic for over 30 years and he told me everyone loves those twin turbo eco boost engines at the shop. Says they are real money makers. If I remember right he said those turbo were like $1500. That’s how that little engine gets its hp. Worst engines on the market according to him and Scotty Kilmer. So if you aren’t going to put a plow on it or work it like a truck go for it or if you are keeping your work horse get a heck of a nice 30-40 mpg Honda or Toyota car for the same price. P.S. my dad was one of those sucked in to a new 150 in 2014. Traded off his totally fine 1999 f150 4x4 on a new delux 4 door 2014 150. Went to the Boss dealer to have a new mount and controller put on the new truck 3 months later because he let those go with the old truck. That’s when I learned first hand how elec. asst. doesn’t go with the newer small engine trucks. He went back to the dealer and they told him it was the truth and it would void the warranty if he put a plow on it. It was a here’s your prize type deal. Car salesmen are real close to the scum of the earth, least ways far from the salt shaker anyway. So buyer beware.

It isn't because of the power steering. It is because they are worried the plow will block the intercooler on the ecoboost trucks.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    I know I am getting old, but I start getting really nervous when an average pickup costs over $60,000. The Local ford dealer had one displayed with a big sign that said it was clearance priced. I circled the block to look again. After the discounts it was "only" $79,999.. Even when my annual was solid in the 6 figure range and I had to file quarterly taxes, I would have thought $60K was a lot of money for a depreciating asset.

(warning; old man saying inbound) My first house was less than $35,00 and it about killed me to get 10% down.

I don't know how everyone does it.
    Last brand new truck I bought was a 2004 f350 single rear wheel 8’ bed super cab diesel 4x4. It was $32,000 out the door. Thought I was getting a hosing. Hate to think what that would go for now. That was the first year for the new body style f150 and they wouldn’t budge an inch off msrp and the 350 was just $4k more than the 150.

Reactions: Leo

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a 2018 Ford F-150 crew cab with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine and 10 speed tranny and towing package. Of course it is 4WD able. I bought it new. It is very good package. It is a super comfortable ride and I get positive comments all the time. It has a lot of get up and go. I get between 18-20 mpg around town. I LOVE the step and handle for getting up into the bed. The long handle makes it superior to the other companies' step options. My only complaint, so far, is that I'm not a fan of Ford Navigation System. I haven't figured out if it is possible to enter a waypoint of a location that I'm presently at. I sent off for the update and spent a lot of money and time and effort trying to install it. I finally went to the Ford dealer and had them install it for an additional $100.00. The dealer said that most people can't install the updates by themselves.

Last edited:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Last brand new truck I bought was a 2004 f350 single rear wheel 8’ bed super cab diesel 4x4. It was $32,000 out the door. Thought I was getting a hosing. Hate to think what that would go for now. That was the first year for the new body style f150 and they wouldn’t budge an inch off msrp and the 350 was just $4k more than the 150.
    With inflation from 2004 that truck would now cost $55k. MSRP on a 2023 XL diesel 4x4 is $62k. So a little over $10k more.

Reactions: Leo

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Chevy will leave you on the side of the road more than a ford.
    My old Silverado never left me on the side of the road for the 12 years I drove it.

The displacement on demand went out in the driveway....but after 235,000 miles, so I can't complain.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    My brother opted for the ecoboost in his f150 when they came out and got rid of it pretty quickly. I have a buddy with a 5.0 and he loves it. Isnt the v6 more expensive than the v8? I wouldnt want a v6 unless it was in a grand national or a tta. Even if all things are equal I want 8 cylinders. Sound better too.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    I’ve had several with the inline 6, 1 with a 390, 2 with the v6 and 2 with the 302 v8. Zero problems with any of the other than typical wear of parts a couple alternators, water pumps, ect. I drove nearly 1000 miles a week back and forth to work depending on which route I took. Only ford engine problem was on a ranger with the little engine. Spun a bearing getting on 465 and Washington by the time I pulled into its parking slot at home it sounded like 2 dozen chimps banging on it with the business end of of 5 pound ball-peen hammers in each hand demanding Nanner Sammie’s.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Ford went to the turbo V-6's years ago, and they sold, but then, a while back the started offering the 5.0 (302 V_8) again... 50 year old designed engine, and still hard to beat....I've had 2 F-150's a 97 with the 4.6 V-8, and a 2003 with the 5.4 rattle trap motor, both ran like stripped a$$ apes, and were running when I sold them.. I love Fords!!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My chevy left me on the side of the road.
    But i was on the clock waiting for the slowest tow truck to arrive.
    I think there's a potential country music lyric in there somewhere. Maybe even an entire song! :):

My Chevy left me on the side of the road...
    Next to the railroad tracks.
    I was on my way to visit my mama.
    In prison after drinking her life away.

I was on my way to tell her
    About the true love I had found.
    And how she left me
    With nothing but our old blue tick hound.

And the hound...
    He ain't around...
    No more...

There, I think I hit all the high points of country music.

Last edited:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Ford went to the turbo V-6's years ago, and they sold, but then, a while back the started offering the 5.0 (302 V_8) again... 50 year old designed engine, and still hard to beat....I've had 2 F-150's a 97 with the 4.6 V-8, and a 2003 with the 5.4 rattle trap motor, both ran like stripped a$$ apes, and were running when I sold them.. I love Fords!!
    The 5.0 they started putting in the f150 in 2011-today is nothing like the old sbf 302 the use to out in them. The new 5.0 is a dual overhead cam mod motor.

Top Bottom