• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heofon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    My Dad was a Military Policeman. At home he had a .22 revolver, .22 rifle and a .410 shotgun. He taught me gun safety when I was around 7.

When I was older I had a few chances to shoot with my rural friends. I shot .44 and .45 handguns, .22 and .300 rifles (yet to fire a shotgun). They rotate through 5-10 guns every few years or so.

About 4 years ago I started thinking about protection, and learning more about gun history and safety (I'm fascinated and can't get enough). Shows like American Guns and Top Shot only multiplied that interest. Although my wife hated guns, I began to look into my options. I didn't really have the money to buy a gun so I just looked.

I read on a forum about Makarovs and all the good and bad. I was intrigued with the good points and the bad points didn't bother me one bit. I became a Makarovnik and an expert...(maybe?)

Because of the fear of helplessness from all the shootings lately, my wife, one day, out of the blue said, "I think you should get a gun." Since times a-wasting (for my preferences) on Makarov availability and pricing, and ammo is going up, at the next gun show that came around I got the only Mak there. My first gun, at 39 years of age. She also got me a LTCH for my birthday.

I've always supported the second amendment, but especially lately. It feels good to exercise my right and freedom. I'm gonna get a lifetime NRA membership as soon as I can save up. I've been studying the Magpul Dynamic Handgun DVD's. Good stuff there. I believe training is imperative for anyone carrying.

Last edited:

ssmith512

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Oaklandon
    42 years old. Always hunted with my dad in my teenage years, but never owned my "own" gun. Went to college, got married. Wife is not a big fan of "guns in the house". Last November I decided to hell with it all and purchased my first pistol. My reasoning is simple. I am smart a guy that has what I consider to be good situational awareness. I have never been in a fight, have never seen a fight, have always tried to make the right kind of decisions to keep myself out of those kinds of situations. BUT, I am not so naive to realize that anything can happen at anytime to anyone. The world is changing right before my eyes. And unfortunately it is going down a path I do not like. I decided that if I am going to possibly end up in a gun fight at some point in my life, I dont want to be the only guy in the room without a gun.

Bonus - my wife has agreed to take a pistol training/safety course with me this Spring. She understands that since there is now a firearm in the house, she wants to know how to use it and not be "afraid of it" in case I cant and she feels she needs to.

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I was in the Military (Active and Reserve) for 22 years and as a enlisted man I was able to fire the 9-11 pistol. This was only because I was the Armory Sgt. and I had to make sure they were ok. I was young and these things had a kick to them so I really didn't like them. As years went on I married and my wife was from a family that had guns and I still didn't get any hand guns. Then sense all the the Stuff about when the S hit the fan. I finally got a hand gun. I really enjoy shooting but only in 9mm for now.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    It has been all down-hill from there. There are now 5 safes in my house, and I'm running out of room again.:ar15:

Sounds about right here too. Had a plinker in my 20's and sold it when babies came along. I'm knocking on 57 and have fallen hard for old revolvers, wheelguns, six shooters or whatever you want to call them. Had one safe for her jewelry and another for documents and a lock box for my first lemon squeezer. Yesterday I ordered another 1.8 c.f. safe for my new addiction. Watch out Indy 1500, I have cash...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds about right here too. Had a plinker in my 20's and sold it when babies came along. I'm knocking on 57 and have fallen hard for old revolvers, wheelguns, six shooters or whatever you want to call them. Had one safe for her jewelry and another for documents and a lock box for my first lemon squeezer. Yesterday I ordered another 1.8 c.f. safe for my new addiction. Watch out Indy 1500, I have cash...

Well, you won't after the 1500!:D

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Well, this will be a long story. I worked armed security for 18 years. Was shot at while working the coal mine strikes in the late 70`s. I`m sure it was just to scare me as most of those "good ole boys", had high power rifles with scopes. If they had wanted to kill me, I would not be here now.

Sold my firearms in 1984 except for a 25 cal. semi-auto. Kept it because it was old when I bought it in 1973, after ETSing from the service.

Started buying guns again in 2010, kept seeing them in Walmart and thinking, "Man I would like to have that". Then my downfall into the expense of buying guns. Only problem now is, I`m retired so I dont have a lot to spend. :(

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    spit in the eye comment

I also like the "spit in their eye" comment. After reading it I think maybe it is my way of spitting in their eye about several things 1 of many is the debt issue and they take no reponsibility for it. Sounds like a bunch of 5 year olds.

rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    After around 30 years of owning and using long guns for hunting and serving in the military, I recently purchased my first side arm. The circumstances are unfortunate.

A) I became aware of a person doing the wrong thing in our community. That same work of art is aware of me. Lets just say that I am on the good side of the law, the pusher is not (hint, hint).

B) I wanted to purchase my weapon of choice before the sitting President gets his way.

The whole right to bare arms argument has really hit home. Given my situation, I have to work hard to supress all 6'2", 245 lbs of me when I get around some liberal fool that wants to spout out their crap about taking away my right to protect my family.

I have all the respect for our State and Local finest, but they will not get here as fast as I can draw a weapon.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    When I turned 45 I somehow developed a keen interest in 45 ACP ;)

Also, my kids and I started shooting in Scouts and the NRA trained Range Officers touted the benefits of LTCH, NRA, Home Defense, etc. . . :)

I guess I bought it; hook, line and sinker :D

:rockwoot::ingo::rockwoot:

sonofd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valparaiso Indiana
    It's like you are in my head. ^^^ I am about to turn 42. I recently dug out my dads old Ranger.22. Cleaned it up and am doing my best to teach my kids about gun safety, shooting and care of a firearm. Until recently I never gave guns a thought. Now I am on this site constantly and I am looking for an HD shotgun, possibly a handgun, and a LTCH.:rockwoot:

I didn't realize I had so much in common with so many people here. I'm 42. Just bought my first gun today. I think this country (this world for that matter) is collapsing fast. And given recent violent crime statistics, you have to be insane to depend on the police to protect you and your's.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I have always had long guns since I was a kid. But, over the last three years, the short guns seem to be acting like rabbits. I think it is related to the state of the Union!

^ ^ ^ similar to this!!!

In '09, at the age of 56, purchased my first handgun, then my wife, and we gave Christmas $$ to daughters and son-in-law (which they all purchased handguns). Since that time, we (wife & I) have purchased 12 handguns, 4 rifles and 4 shotguns (mostly cowboys stuff). Have always had long guns (did a lot of dove & rabbit hunting). -- Greg

Georgia A Hines

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I am a young old person, Carry a revolver at night on the farm, have had to shoot a warning shot, one time. Heard a loud curse word and running. Saw a pin light come on in the trees. A car sped away. I will now carry a pistol every time I go out. Part of my dress of the day. My hands has a little of the "itis brothers in them. Need a cz 75 BD Police pistol . as that fits my hands perfect and feels really good. Will also be taking classes this Spring. Yes I am new here and find a lot of info. Ty for allowing me to stay :?) Authorities cannot control the drug distribution, what makes them think they are going to stop self protection?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I was 25 or 26 before I owned my first gun, and had only shot a .22 at camp once and my uncle's shotgun once. Gun store people look at you like you're a mutant when you say you want to learn about hunting and guns at that age... you're apparently supposed to learn that stuff from your dad.

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I have had a shotgun since I was 16. I used to be an avid hunter, small game and deer. I had a 22 revolver back in early 90's that I just used for plinking. I got rid of that after only having it a few years. Because of all the political crap going on I decided it was time to add a few hand guns to my collection. I mentioned it to my wife that I was going to do this and shoot with a couple of friends. She said, "what about me". I had no idea she would be interested. So we both are waiting for our LTCH to come in the mail and each have our first hand gun. She had enjoyed shooting and so have I. I think it is the start to some good quality time together.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    Skeptically Optomistic? Kind of describes my feelings when there's a fox in the hen house. or Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. And they have been the only tangible investment ive owned that have maintained or have gone up in value.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Skeptically Optomistic? Kind of describes my feelings when there's a fox in the hen house. or Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. And they have been the only tangible investment ive owned that have maintained or have gone up in value.

I have tried many, many hobbies, sports and pastimes over my life and the one thing that I don't lose on is firearms. My wife has no problem with me buying guns, cause she knows I could always get my money out of them if I decided to sell. And one day my son, should he decide he didn't want them, could make out real well.

70R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    Three years ago for me. Moved here from the Chicago area and got my LTCH as soon as I could. My C&R was next. Been collecting military rifles since then. Winamac is now higher on my list than Disney. :):

Top Bottom