• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    What exactly are the features of an A2 that make it a bad rifle? A knob to turn the windage adjustment? A round handguard instead of a rounded triangular one? A storage compartment in the buttstock? Maybe the buttstock spacer that allows modern sized men to get a cheek weld while looking through the sights? What made it so terrible in your estimations?

It's easier to list the changes that 'didn't' make it worse,........

1)The square post front sight gives better definition in differing light conditions.

2)The closed bottom birdcage doesn't kick up dust like the A1.

The rest of the changes make it a range pig adding doodads and weight. If you like the longer stock, fine. I'm 6-1 and have no problem with the earlier stocks. Trap door? Extra weight and parts. The A2 sight is great on the range,......not so great in the field. Adds weight and too many parts and encourages fiddling. The round guards are a bit tougher but their primary purpose is to allow one item in inventory instead of two(left and right). A2 grip,......meh. If it fits you it's OK. A2 receiver reinforcements are OK. A bit stronger,......very minor weight change. A wash. Three round burst sucks. It's a poor replacement for training and it adds parts/complication to the trigger mechanism while ruining the trigger feel, and it can give either one, two, or three rounds depending. Really lousy design.

The big change is in the barrel. The weight was increased forward of the gas port so the barrels wouldn't bend when the rifle was used as a pry bar. It serves no other purpose. The 1:7 twist was 'needed' to stabilize the longer tracer round to 1000m in sub-zero temperatures. Pigging the thing out completely ruined the rifle.

It's all about weight and simplicity. The M16A1 is still a light, handy rifle. The M16A2 isn't and the changes were all made for stupid reasons.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I would add that the A2 forward assist and dust cover are good improvements too.

The teardrop FA would break, and the A2 dust cover keeps the lower from mangling the dust cover.

As is the A2 delta ring, easier to grip.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a 1980 vintage SP1, which is about as far back as my ARs go. I do like the rifle though, as it reminds me a lot of what we shot in basic in the Air Force before they took away the real guns and replaced them with rivet guns.

matthewmaze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Parke CO
    i have a a-1 configuration with triangle hand guards and pencil barrel i love it.my nephew was given his choice of riffles in my safe,and i have hk's and he picked the a-1

Top Bottom