• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just wanted to see if anybody had any personal experiences with it? I just picked one up from Bradis. Haven't got the chance to actually shoot it yet. Besides the funky trigger pull I love the feel of it.

I had, a few years back, a Millennium Pro and I honestly loved it. I would never say this out loud but I shot more accurate with that than the Glocks I've owned. So when I seen the 709 and was in the market for a conceal gun, I got it.

I was bouncing between this and a Ruger LCP. All my friends have Rugers and they swear by them when it comes to CC. I just couldn't get past on how small they really were. The Taurus seemed to be that perfect balance for me in that regard. Small for CC but not to small.

Nimrodknaack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    I'm bouncing back in forth between the 709 and LC9 but I've been leaning to the Ruger LC9.
    I do know what you mean about the feel. The larger gun(Taurus) does feel better in the hand but I think the LC9 will be easier to use for CC. How are you carrying your 709? Does it carry within you waste band or is it too big?

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    I carried one for a year. I never doubted it would be there for me and do its job if needed. What I will say, is after I bought an XD9sc, I never carried the 709 anymore. I eventually got around to selling it to an INGO member...but had we not needed the money that week I would have kept it for my wife.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I carried one for a year or so, easy to conceal, ran 5 or 6 hundred flawless rounds through it,all different types of ammo, reasonable accuracy for sd. I traded it because I just can not get used to these handguns with short grips that leaves my pinkey dangling, traded it for a colt defender.
    They must be popular or smith would not have copied it with their shield.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Mine ended up back in Miami for FTE problems. They had it fixed in less than a week at no cost to me. It runs perfectly now. I carry it on occasion in a kholster owb plus. Overall a good gun that is very easy to carry multiple ways.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just wanted to see if anybody had any personal experiences with it? I just picked one up from Bradis. Haven't got the chance to actually shoot it yet. Besides the funky trigger pull I love the feel of it.

I had, a few years back, a Millennium Pro and I honestly loved it. I would never say this out loud but I shot more accurate with that than the Glocks I've owned. So when I seen the 709 and was in the market for a conceal gun, I got it.

I was bouncing between this and a Ruger LCP. All my friends have Rugers and they swear by them when it comes to CC. I just couldn't get past on how small they really were. The Taurus seemed to be that perfect balance for me in that regard. Small for CC but not to small.

Search the archives. I have posted personal reviews on my 709. I have had very good success with mine after I sent it back for repairs right after I purchased it from an INGOer. I have also posted my experience with a G26 and my decision to sell the G26 and go to a Taurus 24/7 as my EDC. Both the 709 and the 24/7 are excellent weapons. Reliable and accurate.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ok I guess Ill be "that guy".

I had one and it was a total piece of crap. I bought it brand new and took to the range. I couldnt get through one mag without some kind of malfunction. And it wasnt consistant either. It would be a FTF then an FTE then a FTF for a bit and then back to FTEs. I ran about 100 rnds the first time out thinking it would clear up with some break in or different types of ammo. I was wrong, every mag mad multiple choke ups. I sent it back to Taurus and when I got it back it no longer had FTE, but still had FTF trouble. I ended up getting rid of it and I know there are some Taurus fans on here but i will not recomend thier products to anyone.

For those considering the 709 or the Ruger LC9, go for the Ruger and know your getting a good product backed by a great company that can actually fix the guns they sell.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm bouncing back in forth between the 709 and LC9 but I've been leaning to the Ruger LC9.
    I do know what you mean about the feel. The larger gun(Taurus) does feel better in the hand but I think the LC9 will be easier to use for CC. How are you carrying your 709? Does it carry within you waste band or is it too big?

I am actually waiting for my LTCH to come in. (Stupid move on my part) I got the 4 year LTCH and forgot that it expired at the end of 2012. So now I'm in the dreadful wait for my lifetime.

Now I will say I prefer CC but I don't go out of my way to CC. I'd rather have a gun that feels comfortable in my hand than have a gun I can throw in my pocket. Saying that when I had my Millennium Pro I my daily holster was a OWB Fobus paddle holster. It was thin enough and fit snug enough to my side that I could throw a T-shirt on and wouldn't notice it. I had a IWB holster when I was in a situation where CC was a necessary, and again it always fit nicely that way too. So I'm gonna assume since the Slim is even smaller I'll probably do the same thing as far a carry goes.

I have heard yay and nay on the possibility of ankle holster. That may be a route I'll consider eventually. :dunno:

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ok I guess Ill be "that guy".

I had one and it was a total piece of crap. I bought it brand new and took to the range. I couldnt get through one mag without some kind of malfunction. And it wasnt consistant either. It would be a FTF then an FTE then a FTF for a bit and then back to FTEs. I ran about 100 rnds the first time out thinking it would clear up with some break in or different types of ammo. I was wrong, every mag mad multiple choke ups. I sent it back to Taurus and when I got it back it no longer had FTE, but still had FTF trouble. I ended up getting rid of it and I know there are some Taurus fans on here but i will not recomend thier products to anyone.

For those considering the 709 or the Ruger LC9, go for the Ruger and know your getting a good product backed by a great company that can actually fix the guns they sell.

Just curious if you ever tried to send it in for repair? I know sometimes you can just get a lemon of a gun, and I can live with that as long as the manufacturer is good about getting it fixed in a timely manner.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i own one. mine is pretty accurate and has been reliable with ball ammo; haven't used a lot of SD ammo yet. trigger is long and squishy but usable.

the LC9 ranks as my least favorite gun ever. I dont know if the one I shot was a lemon,but god the trigger was terrible.

SR9 yes; LC9 no.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I sent it back to Taurus and when I got it back it no longer had FTE, but still had FTF trouble. I ended up getting rid of it.

Just curious if you ever tried to send it in for repair? I know sometimes you can just get a lemon of a gun, and I can live with that as long as the manufacturer is good about getting it fixed in a timely manner.

Yeah, sorry I got on a bit of a rant. I normally dont do that. I did send it in and Taurus had it for almost 2 weeks and it still had the FTFeed issue when I got it back.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    LOL :ugh: Sorry completely read over that. :cheers:

Its all good. To give them the benifit of the doubt this was a few years ago. They may have gotten them straightened out by now.

Still, I dont think I will ever buy a Taurus product ever again. I bought an LC9 and it was a great little pistol. I thought my fiance would like to carry it but she prefers my LCR so I sold my LC9 as well.

If I was gonna get another "pocket" 9mm (I honestly probably will not) it would be a Kahr K-9.

MorePowerWes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Palmyra, In
    I have one and have had no issues so far (500 rounds). I too was going to buy the LC9, but I got a good deal on the PT709. IMO, the trigger sucks!! But, the trigger sucks on the LC9 too! From what I've read about them, the first year or so of production had some problems. They made some improvements in late 2009. Thankfully, mine was produced 12/09.

Nimrodknaack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Stay away from the Taurus 709! I posted earlier in this tread that I was looking. I bought one and have had nothing but trouble. Spend the extra money and get a glock or LC9.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    WAY BETTER!
    0701131133a_0001_zpse59367e9.jpg

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I had the PT 740 Slim for a while. It was a little "top heavy" in my hands.
    I decided after a while to trade it (not because of poor functionality but it was uncomfortable in my hands.)
    I traded my 740 (+ a box of .40 ammo & $100 cash) for a Glock 23 (with night sights, extra mags, and a holster)

Top Bottom