• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Hunted pheasants growing up in WI. Would have never dreamed of hanging them for 4 days. Having read the link above it does make some sense.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Hunted pheasants growing up in WI. Would have never dreamed of hanging them for 4 days. Having read the link above it does make some sense.

Same here.... that was an interesting article.

I think I am going to give it a go next time I get to hunt.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I asked my co-worker who works the weekends as a Pheasant guide with his German Short Haired dogs. He said that hanging the birds for 3 or 4 days with the feathers on and the guts still in them is mannered after the Asian meat markets. He said the difference is that those birds in the Asian markets have had their necks wrung. He said one issue he has had with allowing pheasants to hang 3 or 4 days is the areas where the shot hit the bird get pretty nasty. He thought they taste better dressing them out as soon as the hunt is done.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Makes sense.

Regardless, that article was pretty interesting. I am going to give it a try on the next go..... maybe try it with birds with few to no pellets in the body.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Great thread. We just completed a fantastic hunt at Thorn Bottom a week ago. There were 8 of us, paid for 40 birds and ended up getting 34 total. I just love watching the dogs work and hold steady on a point.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Great thread. We just completed a fantastic hunt at Thorn Bottom a week ago. There were 8 of us, paid for 40 birds and ended up getting 34 total. I just love watching the dogs work and hold steady on a point.

They definitely have some great dogs. Ann does a great job breeding, training, and guiding.

Top Bottom