Any places that sell high quality safes locally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Im looking for a local establishment that sells safes locally. I am looking for such brands such as Fort Knox, Sturdy Safe, and Liberty? The safes need to be good quality, investments. Simply, I dont have the time to order a custom safe and I need to buy one locally. I don't know who to call, and I leave January the 12th for a job 6 months long and then duty station assignment. I don't want my firearms stored in the open with my parents. They are going through a divorce and my guns are at a relatives house. I want my firearms at my parents home, but locked up.

I would be buying this safe in the next two weeks and setting up the safe at my parents house. Whoever gets the house, the safe will stay there. Can anyone help? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- Slov

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Gander Mountain sells Liberty Safes.

I'd recommend Johnson Safes which is a local manufacturer with an excellent reputation, but they have a very long lead time.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    This web link delivers to the kerbside and for a little extra, they will install it in your house. Gun Safes, Fire Safes, Gun Cabinets & Home Safes | GunSafes.com

It took me over a month to get one installed, maybe 2, but it may depend on what they have in stock and it is delivered from California.

Now do you have anywhere else to store your stuff, such as a friend?? Are you sure that one of your parents will be keeping the house?? They might not agree when lawyers get involved and the house may need to be sold in the divorce. Divorces are messy, speaking from experience. Hopefully your parents can figure it out as pleasantly as possible.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Guys I believe he is looking for something to purchase and have delivered within the next 2 weeks. Might not be an easy task.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Guys I believe he is looking for something to purchase and have delivered within the next 2 weeks. Might not be an easy task.

RK will deliver via Conway Freight. Probably add another $125-150 for delivery. Or find someone on INGO with a pickup who might want to make some $.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Currently, No I dont have any friends I trust to store my firearms with. I am very leery about that. They are currently at my Uncles, behind a god dang padlock... I dont like them being there since I cannot control their where abouts, and quite frankly with the divorce... They are the last people I want to talk to since its my mothers side of the family. I put them there temporarily until I could figure out what to do.

My sister is still in highschool. To my knowledge, the courts will try to not sell the house until the youngest child turns 18. However, I could be wrong. My mother cant afford the house at all. My father is the sole provider and my sister would choose to live with him.

Honestly, I am willing to drive out of state just to buy something and not have to wait at all. I didnt know Johnson Safe Co. existed. They are only 40 minutes away from me since Im on the SE side. Are the wait times confirmed to be true? They would be an option.

Last edited:

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    There actually are safes on the floor for sale at Dicks/Cabela's/Gander Mountain. They may be floor samples, but I bet they would sell you one and then it just needs to be delivered.

I wish you and your family well in your troubling times! No fun for anyone!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't know if Johnson Safes has inventory, but you might call him to see. He might try to help you, given your circumstances. I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through. It sounds like you are going in the military. If so, thank you. If there is anything I can do,like hang onto your guns for you, ​I'll do what I can.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Also, the electronic/digital locks are less maintenance than the mechanical combination locks. Mechanical locks are supposed to be greased/serviced annually by a qualified locksmith to maintain any warranty. Electronic locks need batteries every year or so and they can be replaced by the owner.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Who Dares Wins, I will drive to the Gander on the SE side, and Point Blank as well. They are 5 minutes away from me. Point Blank does not have any large safes to purchase from Fort Knox, but only to order with a wait time of 6 months. I checked last week when I went looking for AK's. I picked a SLR107FR on Thursday from Copper Custom up in Valpraiso. I drove close to 3 hours just to buy it, haha. Lastly, I was looking at a redundant lock system to include both manual, and electronic. Would this be smart or would the safe still have to be maintained annually since there is still a manual component to the redundant lock system?

Woobie, I will give Johnson Safe a call tomorrow. More than likely, they are closed until tomorrow. I leave for OSUT the 12th. No biggie, just a job I've wanted to do for a very long time. I only have an AK, AR15, Mosin, and a AR15 lower. I have close to 2k rounds for each caliber besides the Mosin. So, the stash is not that big really. I appreciate the offer, but I am leery of that. Unforutnately, I do not trust my mother with guns. She has a psychological breakdown a while back and it was very very bad. So, she is not going to have posession of them, unless they are locked in a gun safe with a combination she does not know. Other than that, my father will have posession of them.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Once I have some extra cash, I'll be ordering a johnson. Electronic locks scare me since I've seen many safes with electronic locks lock people out of their stuff, I'll take a mechanical any day, but that's my personal perogitive.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Slov, call over to the RK in Shelbyville and see what they have in stock. Since you're on the SE side, it'd be a short drive down I74. Doesn't cost anything to look.

If you don't have a way to transport a safe, lots of people here willing to help.

Mike

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Also, the electronic/digital locks are less maintenance than the mechanical combination locks. Mechanical locks are supposed to be greased/serviced annually by a qualified locksmith to maintain any warranty. Electronic locks need batteries every year or so and they can be replaced by the owner.

I own two 30+ year old Browning Medallion Safes and two that say Winchester on the front for 20 years and neither set of paperwork has anything about annual lubrication needs. All have mechanical locksets.

There are so many places to go and buy a safe and just backup and load it up and come home. Are they the best, nope, will they do the job, Yes..
    A gun safe installed correctly will keep just about everyone out of in.
    If someone wants to get into a most gunsafes and they know what to do, in a matter of minutes the front of the safe and the door will be laying on the floor in front of the safe.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom