• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Hi all. Been thinking of getting into metallic reloading for a while, but Im afraid I might have missed the boat.
    Seems like components are getting harder and harder to come by.
    Id hate to get the press I want then have it sitting on a newly extended reloading bench just to look pretty.

Do you guys that reload a lot see this being like most of the other panic stuff and returning to normal in a few months?

BTW, I was looking at the Lee Classic Turret since I will do about 5 handgun calibers and one, maybe two short rifle calibers (.223 and .308).

Ive done a ton, maybe literally, of shotshell reloading, but these are a bit different. Have to prep and clean the cases where I dont on the hulls.

toppgunnz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Indiana
    But you aren't the first one to think of that one! Powder is flying off the shelves as fast as ammo. Better get a jump on it!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While the timing might not be ideal, it would still save you money, not to mention make you somewhat immune to the times of availability issues. Just be careful you don't grossly overpay though...

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Thanks. Overpaying is one thing Im worried about, but really, right now Id be only doing small quantities just to get the hang of it, so I can chalk some of it up to a learning experience and write it off as education expenses right? Yeah, like Ive got enough of anything to write off...lol.

Anyway, that turret looked similar in operation to my MEC, in that I could go as slow as I want...and check out each station as I go.

I guess Ill start getting my list of stuff needed together and get to buying a few things!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Never too late. You will always save money reloading - as components increase in price, so does factory ammo (by even more). And you will be able to develop just the right ammo for your firearms. That's priceless.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anyway, that turret looked similar in operation to my MEC, in that I could go as slow as I want...and check out each station as I go.

I guess Ill start getting my list of stuff needed together and get to buying a few things!

The LCT would be a great choice. It can be used as a single stage and if you want more speed later, just simply drop the indexing rod back in.

Getting a good manual would be the first thing I would buy... In times like this, learn what components you will need. I would be half tempted to buy primers and powder first, but only after you read and learn what you need first... :)

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    If ammo gets scarce it might be handy to be able to make your own...before it gets hard to get equipment and supplies. Now is as good a time as any.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago...the next best time is right now! :)

If you already load shotgun shells, metallic reloading will be a relatively short learning curve for you. There is more case prep involved, but the reloading portion of it (seating a primer, charging the powder and seating the "shot") is essentially the same.

Excellent choice on the press, by the way. You couldn't have picked a better model, for the needs you described.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depending on the caliber really. If you're thinking about 223, and FMJ bullet is hard to get right now, the supply seemed to dry up over night. Small rifle primers are going, I went ahead and grabbed 1000 magnum small rifles because I couldn't find regular, they'll still work. That was after I nabbed several thousand regular small rifle :D

Certain powders are drying up fairly quick, same with brass. I've been using CFE223 and that disappeared quick, same with Win748, so maybe you'll have to think about other powders, which isn't bad if you just shoot to plink around.

But with places like Cheaper Than Dirt charging a buck a round for .223, about any reloading is going to be worth it.

As for presses, it's a large investment, but look at the Dillon 550b. After you get everything timed right, it's a breeze to crank out ammo. Well worth the money I think, plus it'll outlast you and your kids. It would be the caliber conversions and extra tool heads that get you though, especially with 5 calibers of handguns, but maybe you can luck out and double calibers per conversion (45 and 308 type of thing). After years on a Rockchucker and then going 550, I'll never look back.

I heard Hornady's progressive is nice too, never operated on but the Lyman could be worth a look.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That is a good question at this point. I am tight on money right now and if I didnt reload I couldnt shoot. You can definatly save some money doing it. Right now it is hard to find components and some can be inflated on price. All I can say is do your homework before you buy and start collecting things when you can. It took me about two years before I had enough stuff to finally sit down and make a box of loaded ammo. I waited untill I had at least 500 once fired cases.

TWS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I am reloading. 223 right now for less then half what you can buy it for. I was shooting hornady v-max 55 gr. With 24.2 gr. Of varget. But my bullets went bye bye with all the ammo on the shelves. So I switched to a-max. Guess they aren't as popular. But all I do is shoot at paper anyway. They aren't as tight as the v-max in my gun. But is still a n affordable way to keep shooting. Have fun with it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That is a good question at this point. I am tight on money right now and if I didnt reload I couldnt shoot. You can definatly save some money doing it. Right now it is hard to find components and some can be inflated on price. All I can say is do your homework before you buy and start collecting things when you can. It took me about two years before I had enough stuff to finally sit down and make a box of loaded ammo. I waited untill I had at least 500 once fired cases.

The OP can certainly have everything needed to reload within 2 or 3 weeks, even with today's limited supplies. With the exception of 223 and certain components, the only real concern right now is prices are artificially inflated. He might be better off waiting another month or two for the demand to drop back down.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    I guess once I get going Ill have lots of questions, but the biggest I can think of now is regarding powder.
    Is there one powder that can do all the pistol calibers?
    Where would I look to find out that info? Reloading manuals?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    1 powder for everything? Really depends what calibers of handguns you have.

I use Unique in my .45acp, and in my 41 mag for plinking loads. HS6 is another that has a wide range, same with Universal Clays.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with buying books since information is different in every book and every edition. Get a subscription to loaddata.com (which is about the same as buying 1 hard back), pay for 1 year, and just print all the load info you please for 365 days.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I guess once I get going Ill have lots of questions, but the biggest I can think of now is regarding powder.
    Is there one powder that can do all the pistol calibers?
    Where would I look to find out that info? Reloading manuals?

Reloading manuals or online websites for powder or bullet companies are the ONLY PLACES you should get load data. When you are looking at specific loads, see if you can find a powder that is in the middle of the chart for the cartridges you'll be loading. You don't want a really fast powder or one that's too slow, if you're going to use it for a variety of cartridges.

I'm rather fond of Power Pistol in the rounds I load, but it's not good for everything. Don't pigeon-hole yourself into buying just 1 or 2 powders...get what you need, when you can. You'll be glad you did.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Do it, so you don't have to wait for a truck from the other side of the country to bring one case of ammo to the store the same week you have the flu and miss it.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Easier to find components than ammo. Not to mention I can reload .223, 9mm and .45acp for less than $200/k. All I have to do is wait on bullets and then I have an extra couple thousand ready to be loaded. Finding 1k rounds at a reasonable price is nearly impossible.

Top Bottom