• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana
    If so, have you been out this year? Have you had any success?

A couple of my hunting buddies and I were out for about 4 hours yesterday. Temperature was too warm for the birds, but we did bump a covey of about 26 quail. They didn't hold very well for the dogs, but got some excellent dog work from my English Setter finding a couple of singles and locating the "dead birds".

Looking forward to a little cooler weather.l

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Too hot for my Lab, although she would disagree had I asked her. We built some gates for a fence yesterday instead. Dog stood guard so it gave her something to do.

In other words she constantly brought me sticks to throw for her.

I figure December will busy making up for lost time.

birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana
    Yeah, we opted out for today since it is going to be even warmer than yesterday. Just looked and it is already 60 degrees here. My English Setter doesn't understand this logic. He is ready to go. We also saw 4 rabbits yesterday. I think that is more than we seen the entire season last year.

The way the weather has been the last few years, my hunting buddies and I think it would be wise to move the season to the first of December and extend it into Feb.

birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana
    boman,
    I know where you are coming from. The bird population sure isn't what it used to be. I can remember the days when you could move four or five covey's a day. Now, finding one or two is considered a good day. My hunting compainions and I make it a point to not pursue a covey unless there are 10+ birds. Even then, we limit the number we take in order to preserve the population as best we can

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I make it a point to not pursue a covey unless there are 10+ birds. Even then, we limit the number we take in order to preserve the population as best we can __________________
    I know where you are coming from---I/we ocassionally get into quail while pheasant hunting and I believe the last two I killed was 3 yrs ago. That was a large covey and was pointed by the dogs. I've flushed small coveys since and didn't feel there were enough birds to shoot so didn't shoot.

Steve

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    In the mid-90's we seemed to happen upon quail while deer or squirrel hunting. The first time since then, last weekend we bumped quail on our way back to truck. (More turkey the last few years than I've seen in my entire life)

I started my first bird dog this year (a Brittany). I researched and read up for three years before settling on the pup that I have. I really like the look of an English Setter, but I've been real happy with the Brit.

Top Bottom