• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm looking at maybe picking up a 700 LSS in .223, and I'm wondering what the barrel twist is. I can't seem to find the info on the interwebs.

I don't think it's a current model. It's not the Mountain LSS. It has a greyish laminated stock and a 24" barrel.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah, they don't list the model that I'm looking at. It does look like most of their .223s are 1/12 twist with the exception of the SPS Tactical, XCR Tactical and maybe a couple of others. I guess I'll assume it's a 1/12.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Yeah, they don't list the model that I'm looking at. It does look like most of their .223s are 1/12 twist with the exception of the SPS Tactical, XCR Tactical and maybe a couple of others. I guess I'll assume it's a 1/12.

Do you have the rifle? If its not marked you could look in the barrel and count the lands and grooves.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is really easy to determine the rate of twist of your rifle without depending on questionable sources or even manufacturer data.

You will need a cleaning rod with a tight fitting patch. From the muzzle, put the rod down the bore. In the chamber area, put the patch on.

Pull the rod up until you feel the patch in the lands. It can be just into into the lands or anywhere midway in the bore.

Stop right there. Put a mark on the rod at the muzzle with a sharpie. Just a little dot will do. If it a coated rod, a little masking tape helps.

Pull the rod out and be sure to let the rod turn with the lands. Pull it out until the dot is in the same spot rotationally. Measure from the dot back to the muzzle. It is easy to tell the difference between 1X9, 1X10, 1X12 twist rates.

You can even do it several times just to verify or get the measurement more to your liking.

Now you know your rate of twist and your rifle got cleaned too. Easy to do, even in the gunshop. I run a patch through any rifle I buy before I take delivery anyway. I want to feel for a smooth bore.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I don't have it, but I can go check it out. I didn't realize that the number of lands and grooves correlated to the twist rate.

Yea I think I gave you bum info, I was having boot camp flashback issues:D...+1 sloughfoot knows what he is talking about.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Some of my best friends are Marines. I look out for them all the time without complaint.:):

It was one of those rhymes the DI made us say along with the riflemans creed, marine corps hymn, general orders.....20 years later I get a little foggy sometimes. :D

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    It must be another model dropped into an LSS stock, because I'm pretty well positive Remington hasn't produced an LSS in 223 Rem.

It is going to be 1 in 12" though. I've pulled quite a few 700 barrels in 223 and I don't recall seeing a stainless one in 1 in 9".

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It must be another model dropped into an LSS stock, because I'm pretty well positive Remington hasn't produced an LSS in 223 Rem.

It is going to be 1 in 12" though. I've pulled quite a few 700 barrels in 223 and I don't recall seeing a stainless one in 1 in 9".

All the more reason to pull a rod through, measure, and verify rate of twist.

It is so easy even someone familiar with the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor can do it. Sorry Marine, I couldn't resist. You know I love all Marines, my brother.......

Last edited:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yep, it's a 1 in 12", and I was wrong, it's actually a 26" barrel. I went ahead and bought it. Seems like a pretty solid gun, except that whoever reassembled it last didn't reseat the magazine properly and the floorplate wasn't sitting as flush as it should have been. Oh well, the good news is that the barrel was clean.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The rifle is very purty. The scope looks like it is at least 3 inches too far back. Easy to fix. Looks like it is far enough back to thump your eye.

Maybe the pics are deceptive?

Where do you plan on shooting it? I offer my help and a range to get it sighted in up to 300 yards near Harlan.

Just PM me if you are interested.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Mag box reassembly hiccups are common, and on the used 700s I've bought pretty much the sole cause of feed issues.

Hard to believe a it was done incorrectly by a guy with such a gift for scope mounting. I'd love to hear his thoughts on ring spacing.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The rifle is very purty. The scope looks like it is at least 3 inches too far back. Easy to fix. Looks like it is far enough back to thump your eye.

Maybe the pics are deceptive?

Where do you plan on shooting it? I offer my help and a range to get it sighted in up to 300 yards near Harlan.

Just PM me if you are interested.

Yeah, it's definitely pretty far back. Maybe the previous owner had a really short neck or something.

I really appreciate the offer. I usually shoot down at Roush lake, but I've been looking for something closer. I actually emailed a guy from FWRR and I'm going to go check it out this Saturday during the range clean up day.

Top Bottom