Any reports of hp rifle accidents this deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The coyote HP rifle argument doesn't work.
    Lesser number of folks, spread out over more acreage...........using varmint bullets.
    I don't think running an MSR is going to change how well people shoot.
    Think the problem for many is mentality, not recoil/ergonomics.
    Slobs are slobs.

We've been through the coyote hunting comparison many, many times before but it is moot argument now since Indiana just completed it's first rifle season without a single incident despite the dire predictions to the contrary. Nor did the use of rifles decimate the herd as predicted.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    None of the pearl clutching, worst-case scenario bovine scat came true.

GOOD.

Let's keep it up for the next few years, shall we? Then maybe with a solid body of work DNR and/or the legislators can liberalize the law to the original DNR proposal of anything with a bore 6mm or larger.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    This is just one reason that I think it's a mistake for rifles to come with the scope already mounted and advertised as boresighted, with too many first-timers not even being aware that boresighted != sighted in.
    It would be preferable for these package deal rifles to come with the rings only bolted on, with the scope in its own box in the rifle box with large block letters on the scope box stating that the scope requires mounting, boresighting, then a sight-in for the range at which the rifle is intended to be used.

LOL, yup, those "packaged" rifles should come with a vacuum sealed chunk of backstrap.

Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    As hunters we have a responsibility to the animals we hunt, the people around us and ourselves to practice with our guns and know the capabilities of ourselves and our gear. On the HP Rifle.. I really enjoyed hunting with my grandfathers 30-06. It was lighter and easier to move around with than my 870 12g.
    However I got the gun 1 week before season started and put 40 rounds down range taking note of the most important round the cold bore shot. Like many hunters (I Hope) I do not take a shot, regardless of buck or doe, unless i am sure it is a vital shot. I hear stories of people shooting deer 4-5 times even with large guns.. because they don't care. they don't practice.. the brag about 3 shot kills and mercy shots. ugh... going on rant.

Anyway... I am all for HP Rifle. I don't see more injuries happening to people but i do see more dumbass shot being taken cause someone went to walmart and bought a 300winmag with boresite scope.. then goes on youtube and sees people bragging on 1000yrd shots and thinks they can do the same. Someone already said this but there where idiots before rifles came in and there are idiots after.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    As hunters we have a responsibility to the animals we hunt, the people around us and ourselves to practice with our guns and know the capabilities of ourselves and our gear. On the HP Rifle.. I really enjoyed hunting with my grandfathers 30-06. It was lighter and easier to move around with than my 870 12g.
    However I got the gun 1 week before season started and put 40 rounds down range taking note of the most important round the cold bore shot. Like many hunters (I Hope) I do not take a shot, regardless of buck or doe, unless i am sure it is a vital shot. I hear stories of people shooting deer 4-5 times even with large guns.. because they don't care. they don't practice.. the brag about 3 shot kills and mercy shots. ugh... going on rant.

Anyway... I am all for HP Rifle. I don't see more injuries happening to people but i do see more dumbass shot being taken cause someone went to walmart and bought a 300winmag with boresite scope.. then goes on youtube and sees people bragging on 1000yrd shots and thinks they can do the same. Someone already said this but there where idiots before rifles came in and there are idiots after.

You`re exactly correct on every count. As has already been said, the same slob hunters who got a slug gun and boresighhted it the night before opening morning are the same guys who will do the very same thing with a HP rifle. I think/hope, they are the vast minority.

Top Bottom