Any reputable gun appraisers in or around Elkhart?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was wondering the definition of the word "appraised" in insurance terms. I once asked my State Farm agent about a insurance policy for gun stuff. He told me all items would have to be "appraised". But, he couldn't tell me by who. Is it research on GB that's dated to give you the current value of a rifle or pistol. I don't buy in the least that every gun shop owner is qualified. Most the time they have a guess or a personal opinion. Anyway, just wondering!

I know a few people that can appraise a gun for value. They are deeply rooted in the industry but it is not just something they will do for free.

My dad bought an old Chevy farm truck that had some upgrades and work done to it. But underneath it was still just an old farm truck.
    He got hosed when he bought it as he refused to listen to me and thought he was going to flip it and make a killing. Had an actual appraiser look at it. Guy worked for an insurance company. He put a ridiculous worth on it and my dad paid for a ridiculously over priced policy.

He tried for years to sell it and was basically laughed at more than once.

Point being know what you are buying. If you buy in a panic or when the carpet baggers have pushed the market into a bubble you will loose your tail.

I am thinking the OP might be there.

Last edited:

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    True. The OP's post is old, but I agree. My first thought was, what is rare or valuable about this AR to make getting it "appraised" worthwhile, vs just asking, hey I have "x", what's it worth...
    Appraised was a poor choice of words. Basically, I bought a custom build and realized I probably overpaid. So I was trying to figure out by how much I was swindled. Lol. Live and learn.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I know a few people that can appraise a gun for value. They are deeply rooted in the industry but it is not just something they will do for free.

My dad bought an old Chevy farm truck that had some upgrades and work done to it. But underneath it was still just an old farm truck.
    He got hosed when he bought it as he refused to listen to me and thought he was going to flip it and make a killing. Had an actual appraiser look at it. Guy worked for an insurance company. He put a ridiculous worth on it and my dad paid for a ridiculously over priced policy.

He tried for years to sell it and was basically laughed at more than once.

Point being know what you are buying. If you buy in a panic or when the carpet baggers have pushed the market into a bubble you will loose your tail.

I am thinking the OP might be there.
    And the timeless wisdom of The Mouse is vindicated, once again!

Top Bottom