• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I made a resolution this year to be "always" armed. So far I've made good on this, but with spring finally here I'll be getting out and running several nights a week... distances of 3-12 miles at a time. Usually in the daylight, and almost always in good neighborhoods. I've never carried while running before. In the past it's just been me with shorts, shoes, tshirt, phone, and folding knife clipped inside my shorts... but no handgun.

I've picked up a Kahr CW380 for just this purpose. I assume I'll wind up with an IWB holster of some kind and wearing it about 4:00 on my waist. I think this will work... https://www.kahr.com/P380-Holsters/Kahr-Crossbreed-Microclip-Right-Hand.asp - with no belt I'll need a good tight drawstring on my shorts... but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Any INGO runners here? How do you CC while out for a run? What gun/holster combo do you use?

Thanks!

:ingo::ingo::ingo::ingo::ingo:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I use a purpose built fanny pack. I had to shoot an aggressive dog that bit me awhile back, and the fanny pack worked just fine for quick access.

I keep my phone in the front pocket and let the music play from there so I'm not blocked from the world by headphones, plus its my GPS tracker (runkeeper), keep my ID, a knife, and a reload in the main compartment, and the pistol sits in a hidden pocket in the back.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    There are a few threads about carrying in workout apparel in the "Carry issues and self defense" forum. You might try there.

I don't run, but on the bicycle I use my CompTac AIWB with the drawstrings on my gym shorts cinched. It keeps the pistol in place, but you have to practice the draw. Without a proper belt, the holster wants to come out with the gun.

Last edited:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Run and bike both and wear a fanny pack or just wear a regular belt with my OWB holster with shirt pulled over. Also have a drop leg tactical style holster to wear in the kayak.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have a Kahr CW380. I looked at putting a holster on my waist and I experimented with an empty gun my pocket sprinting in grass to see what would happen etc. With the right holster you can pocket carry opposite of your phone. However it is kind of annoying I would guess after too many miles I run for no more than 30 minuets when I run so I never get as far as you...

I think that a fanny pack really is the best option. A lot of runners use them for body glide, bandaids, and other little junk anywhere and are very common place. I think it is probably the way to go. I haven't done it, but for a 5+mile run that would seem like the best option to me.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

I've used this Snubby bag when I run and hike and its great! It holds a Glock 19 but I have a Glock 26 and it fits fine. You just have to buy a kydex trigger guard and anchor it to the inside of the bag. When you draw the handgun, the trigger guard comes off. It also has a front pocket that I carry my ID, phone, and a tourniquet in.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Kangaroo carry holster. M&P shield (when I had it) with a short mag under my left arm... mag under my right. It barely printed with a tighter shirt.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    My easy pace is sub-7 per mile. The lightest carry gun I own is a Taurus 85 ultralight. I still can't get over the bounce with it and have never made it past a few stride trials in the yard. Perhaps a tighter option, but then that gets uncomfortable.

There is a pit bull a few miles from here that didn't used to be there but then back in July it was, and it came within an inch of getting my by the throat, I was lucky I snagged it by the collar and only got a bruised chin before pile-driving it into the ditch and stunning it long enough for the owner to get a handle on it. I made it very clear that it's arse better be chained, but they talked about training yada yada, I planned to be carrying the next time I go by there but haven't gone by as I haven't figured out a good carry method for a 10 mile run.

Might just be the tire buddy tucked under the arm.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Been using one of these the last year or so:

4625NB_TrailMix_Black_Back_NW.jpg

http://www.nathansports.com/hydration/hydration-belts/trail-mix

The Taurus TCP just fits. Hundreds of trouble free miles so far, best solution I've found to date.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've run competitively for quite a few years now. I'm a 4:05 miler, sub 14 5k, sub 29 10k. I run ultramarathons for fun now.

Only way I've been able to figure out carrying is when I'm using a running vest for the really long runs. I need it to take water and food when I'm out for 40 miles. I can put an LCP in there in a kydex holster.

That's the only way I can carry. Tightening up a draw string or wearing one of those fanny pack things around your waist doesn't really work too well. It's either too loose and everything bounces around too much, or it's tight enough to screw up your stomach after 5 miles or so. There's a reason you don't ever see any serious runners wearing those stupid things. And I pretty much laugh at the people wearing them. Especially the people walking a mile or two. GOTTA STAY HYDRATED AMIRITE!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, the only time I carry when I run is when I do really long runs in the country where I can encounter dogs. The rest of the time, I don't carry. It's not like anybody is going to rob me in my shorty shorts. I clearly am not carrying any cash or anything valuable other than some smelly running shoes.

Plus, I SWEAT. Even in a good protected holster, my LCP is SOAKED after a run. I sure as heck am not going to do a detail clean every day just so I can run with a gun, especially where I have no concerns about unleashed country dogs.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I run and bike on a semi-regular basis. Always armed. but say screw it to looking like a normal runner or biker.

therefore I put cargo shorts or other shorts w/ belt and just carry my normal EDC w/ spare mag, light, phone, and knife
    ... just like any other time of the day. sometimes OC sometimes IWB w/ shirt over it ...

Heck the only time I ever got asked for my LTCH was on the bike (w/ my wife) riding and the shirt rode up over the gun.
    that was like 4 years ago. ... meh.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Run and bike both and wear a fanny pack or just wear a regular belt with my OWB holster with shirt pulled over. Also have a drop leg tactical style holster to wear in the kayak.

Not to be a wise-a$$ but where would you go, in a kayak, that you would want to carry? I'm thinking maybe White River? I used to walk the banks along Fall Creek and carried, just in case...... but a kayak?

PappyD

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Not to be a wise-a$$ but where would you go, in a kayak, that you would wnat to carry? I'm thinking maybe White River? I used to walk the banks along Fall Creek and carried, just in case...... but a kayak?

PappyD

Fish get hostile sometimes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not to be a wise-a$$ but where would you go, in a kayak, that you would wnat to carry? I'm thinking maybe White River? I used to walk the banks along Fall Creek and carried, just in case...... but a kayak?

PappyD

I've silently paddled into a boat ramp, in the dark, to find a handful of bank fishing bubbas shining a light into my truck. I prefer to carry a rifle in the canoe along with my mostly concealed sidearm.
    Running is similar in that it's mostly unlikely you'll need to be armed while doing it, but you never know what you might run into returning to base camp.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by PappyD

PappyD

I've silently paddled into a boat ramp, in the dark, to find a handful of bank fishing bubbas shining a light into my truck. I prefer to carry a rifle in the canoe along with my mostly concealed sidearm.
    Running is similar in that it's mostly unlikely you'll need to be armed while doing it, but you never know what you might run into returning to base camp.

OK, I'm rethinking this- all good points!

Top Bottom