• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just yesterday, while I was out for a run I got chased down by a crazed, blood thirsty doberman and some whacked out sheepdog of some sort. The only reason I still have my legs is that some lady in an Expedition seen what was going an and tried to plow these two dogs over causing them to run off giving me a chance to run the hell away. If I would have needed to :poop: I would have dropped a load right there in my running shorts...

I'm wanting to purchase a compact or sub compact polymer pistol, something that can take the abuse of being sweat all over and rained on.

What types of pistols/holster combinations have you folks had good luck with?

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    During my marathon training days I used to carry pepper spray and sometimes hand carried a golf ball. I've also been chased while cycling but fortunately have out pedaled the dogs.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I did the pepper spray thing for a while and used it once on a little dog that wouldnt get the heck away from me. The pepper spray itself did didly squat, throwing the empty canister and bouncing it off the dogs head is what did the trick. I'm going to assume this is what the golf ball is for?

I found a couple holsters that look like they would do pretty well, but I will need to do some pistol shopping first. I'm wondering how well these would work if I had the gun placed at the small of my back

Belly Band Holster - The Original Bellyband - Concealment Holsters
    www.pistolwear.com Home Page

I dont like the idea of a barrel pointed at my junk but this may suit some others out there...

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
    Gun Holsters Glock Holsters Concealment Holsters

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I use to run a lot outside and am now confined to my treadmill. The pepper spray is a good idea. Just make sureyou don't get any spray back on you.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Vanguard or bikini holsters make smaller guns more safe for pocket or alternative locations carrying.
    BTW I did a google image search and the most accurate image was from INGO. :rockwoot::ingo: It is from this thread shown on top, in this pic on a LCP, I use one on a Kahr PM9 all the time.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../35882-ruger_lcp_pocket_holster_vs_iwb-2.html

IMG_1097.jpg

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm wanting to purchase a compact or sub compact polymer pistol, something that can take the abuse of being sweat all over and rained on.

What types of pistols/holster combinations have you folks had good luck with?

I just started back up running. I would suggest the following: A snub-nose .357 or .38 spl, one of the more compact versions (Ruger LCP, Taurus 650 CIA, etc.) or one of the sub-compact automatics (Glock 27/26, HK P2000 SK, etc.).

About three years ago I started running and at that time was using my DeSantis belly band and a Glock 27. I didn't use this set-up for long, but it felt pretty secure. I tried to carry a Glock 22, but that is just too long of a gun.

After having problems with the 27, I sold it and purchased an LCP. I have been running for about a month now, and still using the DeSantis belly band. The weight isn't an issue, as the LCP is pretty light. However, I don't like to wear a lot of clothing, but can't stand the belly band on bare skin. As such, I wear it almost like a waist band. This has only a small problem of some skin rubbing at the top. I try to make it so the waist band of my shorts are about an inch above the band, but the shorts seem to ride down on non-gun side. I think the guns minor weight actually helps the gun side stay about the same. The rubbing will cause sores, very small, on the skin. I noticed mine by sight (didn't feel them). Two very small nicks in the skin. Today, I tucked my shirt in on that side, since there is no gun (only the pocket to hold a cell phone, keys, etc.), it isn't a big deal to me. I did try to carry a Glock 23, to see if it would be any different than the 22. Still got it rubbing my skin causing tiny scratches.

So far, the LCP is great. No skin issues from the gun rubbing against my side. Only downside is that you are limited to five rounds, where you could almost double that with a sub-compact auto. The DeSantis band seems to be holding up well. I don't run very far, two miles at the most. Due to my short workout, I don't sweat enough for the band to get wet enough to where it might lose structure. For short distances, shouldn't be an issue. Would likely cause issues if it contacts the bare skin.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Running, I have been pretty lucky so far. On a bike, I have used pepper spray very effectively. I have made a couple direct hits in the face of dogs and watched them roll end over end into the ditch yelping like a baby. I wish I could do something about the idiot drivers who harass me/us on virtually every ride!

Now with swimming, no dogs or cars have ever bothered me!:)

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I brought this topic up a while back... Im still trying to find a holster or some sort of carrying device that doesnt seem awkward.

As far as biking, I just fastened a holster to the front of my bike frame, and my Glock is right there to take care of pesty dogs that want to turn me into a chew toy, or BG, with whatever his or her itnentions are.

-MColford

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've researched this very topic.

I've found the BEST way is just to run with a good knife in your pocket or clipped to your shorts. And even carry pepper spray.

Even an expandable baton would work.

Running with a gun is not that comfortable.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Running with a gun is not that comfortable.

It's gotta feel a heck of a lot better than a doberman on my leg. :):

I'm liking the idea of a snubnose .357 because my friend has one that I got a liking to. I've also thought about an LCP but dont really care for the price of .380 ammo... Back in the day I had a PT145 that would be pretty good for running around with since it wasnt heavy at all. I've regretted getting rid of her.:(

Top Bottom