Any Ryobi 40v single stage snowblower owners?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've invested in Ryobi 40v landscaping tools for my church and so far it has worked out well for us. Ive made sure and purchase a tool+battery+charger for each tool to make sure we have plenty of chargers and batteries for the tools since it is FAAAAAAAAAR cheaper to buy the full kit than bare tools and batteries separately. I think we are up to 5 or 6 batteries.

Now its time to replace our failed single stage snow blower. Do I go gas or 40v?

We only need to clear about 1500 square feet of sidewalk at the worst. At best 1100sq. And if it gets too ugly (3+' of snow) We can trailer in the two stage gas units from home.

Anyone with any firsthand experience with the Ryobi 40v single stage blowers?

I have to ask because I dipped my toes in the water with a 40v almost top of the line mower and returned it after one cut. I only got half the performance of the specs. I cant imagine how much less I'm going to get once I add sub zero temps to the mix.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    have you looked on youtube for reviews?
    Going to do that too. I’ve noticed a rise in paid reviews especially with them. So I take it with a grain of salt. If you look at their website, you’ll notice many if not most reviews are disclosed as part of a promotion/contest.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Watch for the "Ryobi Days" sales

They do a buy a 2/pk of the 18v 4ah batteries for $99 and get a FREE Tool ( limited selection)

Not sure if they have a similar deal on the 40v batteries

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While battery operated tools are replacing their gas powered counterparts, Ryobi tools are not known for their performance and durability.
    I dont totally disagree.

I find they work well for a homeowner/DIY enthusiast level user. Would I give one to my cousin who works in the trades? Nope.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you Returned the Mower, think how much Harder the Snowblower would have to Work.
    Exactly why Im overly cautious and havent abandoned just buying a new honda single stage. (old one died)
    BUt given I pretty much just have 450' of sidewalk, it doesnt seem like much. And Ive always bought a full kit with each tool since batteries included are a fraction of the cost of a new/replacement afterward.

I'll probably stick with gas to be safe. Plus a reviewer mentioned that theirs doesnt propel itself forward when you apply more pressure to the paddles. So to be sure it would be manageable for ALL of our trustees, I'd have to break the bank and buy one of the monster 2 stage units.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have a 40V Greenworks single stage snow blower. If the snow is light it does a great job. When we got the heavy wet snow last winter it was a real chore. Better than shoveling by hand, but not by much. It helps that I have the batteries from the mower, trimmer and blower in reserve. If this is something you are leaving at the church I would lean toward battery power. More idiot proof than gas and safer to operate.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Coworker bought the mower and loves it.
    I would be very tempted to try a battery over gas for several reasons... mainly gas/carb related issues.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Since nobody wants to fess up...
    Yea, I got one.
    Had it for about a year now.
    It works pretty good for what I intended to use it for, which was cleaning in front of the garage door and cleaning side walks.
    It doesn't do well with super wet snow, but powdery stuff, it does decent.
    Battery usage is ok. I have a 5A, 3 4A and 2 2A batteries. The 5A will typically get the job done. Wet snow will chew up battery life big time.
    I think we got 30% off coupon when we bought.
    I have a blower for my JD mower, so if it gets really deep, I'm good.
    Been really happy with the Ryobi 40V batteries. Got a blower, trimmer, stick chain saw, and a drill style power washer. All are good.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Since nobody wants to fess up...
    Yea, I got one.
    Had it for about a year now.
    It works pretty good for what I intended to use it for, which was cleaning in front of the garage door and cleaning side walks.
    It doesn't do well with super wet snow, but powdery stuff, it does decent.
    Battery usage is ok. I have a 5A, 3 4A and 2 2A batteries. The 5A will typically get the job done. Wet snow will chew up battery life big time.
    I think we got 30% off coupon when we bought.
    I have a blower for my JD mower, so if it gets really deep, I'm good.
    Been really happy with the Ryobi 40V batteries. Got a blower, trimmer, stick chain saw, and a drill style power washer. All are good.
    Thanks! I appreciate it. Digging deeper I realized the lack of forward drive using the blades was a deal killer. To get the forward drive assist I'd have to go two stage.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My suggestion is that you go buy the largest 2 stage self propelled, heated handles, headlights, battery push start unit you can find. That way you won't have to use it all winter. You know if you get the 40v ryobi you are going to be using it every other day!
    --Rick
    No doubt. After years of deep snow in the early 80s dad splurged and bough a 4x4. Didnt ever snow that much until he got rid of it. LOL

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I have a Worx battery snowblower as I have other Works tools. Pretty much ditto of BluePig. Have the 2 stage for the path in the woods and paths in the fenced in yard for the dogs and the plow on the garden tractor for the 1100’ driveway. I like the battery snowblower for what I use it for. Batteries usually last for the sidewalks and in front of the garage. I say go for it if you have the gas blowers for backup and already have a supply of batteries.

Top Bottom