• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Problem... my son's girlfriend (most likely my future daughter inlaw) has either a 1997 or 1999 Saturn 2 door with the driverside little "rear" door. It is a 4 cylinder 5 speed. At times it will not start, everything comes on with the key but it won't start. Sometimes it starts fine. We thought it might be the switch on the clutch so we replaced it, no luck problem still exists.

Question, what else could it be? Ignition switch? We're stumped and they both are short of funds right now. I would fix it for her if I knew where to start looking. Any help appreciated.:yesway:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ignition lock cylinder. Used to be about $120 to fix when I was a service manager at the Evansville Saturn. Great cars otherwise. I think it is an SC2.

You can pull one off of one from a junk yard but the key won't match the door. The expensive part is having them rekeyed at a dealer.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    i replace lot's of starters on those. only way to be SURE is to use a test light at the starter "S" (small) terminal when it's acting up, if there is battery voltage at the terminal and no cranking, replace the starter, if no voltage, ign sw., clutch sw. (i know you replaced it already) or bad wire.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If you hit (very hard) on the bottom of the steering wheel whil eyou are turning the key and it starts it is definitely the lock cylinder, but DarkKevin is right, on a vehicle that old it can be anything.

No offense, I own a 90, 91 and 2000 so I know all about old ass cars.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    i replace lot's of starters on those. only way to be SURE is to use a test light at the starter "S" (small) terminal when it's acting up, if there is battery voltage at the terminal and no cranking, replace the starter, if no voltage, ign sw., clutch sw. (i know you replaced it already) or bad wire.

Thanks, I'll test that out. Thanks to everyone for the info.

mdwildcat04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    E-Ville
    I drive a 98 SL2 (4 door), and my sisters have had all kinds of saturns. They have all been great cars, but I cannot tell you how many starters I have swapped out. Nice thing about the 5-speed, PUSH START!:):

Top Bottom