Any SCCA people on here? Racing cars in parking lots around cones, lol...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    Tried my hand at this one time late last year. Went to watch one in Indy first, then entered one in the Evansville area and I think I might become a regular. Ended up buying new summer tires, and a spare set of wheels... But it's a Miata so everything is reasonable cost wise.

I currently have an 02 Miata... and although it's an absolute hoot to "race" around the cones, it's not the most practical.

Been looking for a fun car that might be a little bit better at the track, but still drive able to the occasional job, which in general are in bigger cities, and I prefer to drive vs flying... I work from home most of the time so it's not like I need a daily driver.
    I have a dually for hauling / trailering duties.

Currently torn between well used corvette C5's, barely used latest body style mustang, or a nearly new Focus ST.
    Gas mileage and insurance all seem reasonable. Maintenance on the vette seems pretty steep... Tires are almost 300 a piece!

Any thoughts?

In the past Ive had some decent cars, and I like to turn...

2004 Focus SVT
    1999 Trans am LS1 6spd
    1997 Camaro LT1 6spd
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I tried that years ago with a 1990 Rx-7 Turbo II. It was fun back then, and I am sure it still is today.

Miata's always did well, and at the time the AWD cars were really a big hit. I remember the AWD Eagle Talon and Mitsubishi AWD cars were pretty fast. That was 20 plus years ago, and I have a mini-van now.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    I ran a Focus ST in the SCCA a two years ago. Fun car. Ran only 4 events and finished 2nd in the region. These should be starting to come off of lease now so you may be able to pick one up reasonable.

Building a V6 Miata at the moment for track days.

J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    Opie, never could get into the rotary thing... I drove a few about that same year as yours... Cool car but I really wish the new version (rx8) wasn't a rotary. I would have one of those... Thought about picking up a cheap one and swapping in a LS motor. But that is more of a never ending project I'm afraid.

The AWD cars still to seem to have a pretty strong presence. The good part about SCCA is all of the different classes.. They try to keep it fair, lol...

J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    Jfw that is what I want to hear! Most likely the driver had a lot to do with your placing... I thought about the lease buying... Another couple of plusses for the ST.

But hold on.... A v6 Miata? Never heard of that swap? What engine are you using? What do you mean track days? Like HPDE, or actually racing?

I've toyed with the idea of turning the Miata into an LS powered one... I know of a few that are or could be daily drivers...

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I have had 6 different rotory Mazdas over the years, the 90 Turbo II being the best of the bunch. It was ahead of its time with big 4 piston brakes. I remember being a poor 20 year old and trying to afford a new clutch and brakes for that car!

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I currently have an 02 Miata... and although it's an absolute hoot to "race" around the cones, it's not the most practical.
    Define "practical"

Practical to race around cones?
    Practical to do normal car stuff like get groceries or take you to work?

From your listed examples it seems like you want more power and maintain the ability to race around cones. From a handling standpoint I would rule out the mustang as I believe the last gen still used a solid rear axle. Good for drag racing but not as good in corners. A vette will be costly to have someone else work on it but if you're handy I'm sure you can find all you need from local or national owners. Larger fatter tires will of course be more expensive, no way to mitigate that cost. In general for autocross you want light weight and a low center of gravity. The miata is pretty good for both of those and if you are just looking for more power I would look into upgrades for it unless you just want another car. In that case the subaru BRZ is also a nice choice in that area. There's also the WRX if you want more power and all wheel drive.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    All of those options have the capability to do well at an event. A Flyin' Miata turbo kit will make that extra power for track days, but will bump you into the deep end of the pool for cone killing.

I would probably recommend going to a couple membership meetings and asking around an event or two for a co-drive. Most people are pretty cool about letting another driver into their car, and you'll get to try out a couple different chassis/configurations before you go buying something you might not like.

You might also consider a Kart (likely the fastest, cheapest option) as it will fit/tow behind anything else. Though it's not for everyone, and those cones will be coming at you doubly fast as you saw them before. Also not usually allowed at track days unless they're kart specific.

I'd also recommend a driving school (or 3) to get a feel for where the limit really is. 75% of it will be driver, 20% tires and the other 5% being car & prep.
    Just ask the novice GT500 and supercar drivers how they got their asses handed to them by someone in a stock Focus or Miata.

And don't get discouraged, it'll take a bit of practice to even become sorta quick. Welcome to the ranks of the crazy cone dodgers!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I ran a Focus ST in the SCCA a two years ago. Fun car. Ran only 4 events and finished 2nd in the region. These should be starting to come off of lease now so you may be able to pick one up reasonable.

Building a V6 Miata at the moment for track days.

I've definitely looking for a nice Focus ST. You're probably aware of the ST's at Nebraska last year. The class was was beat handily by a guy with a 2015. Well over a second faster than the 2nd place finisher.

I'm in the middle of an e30 restoration, but would love to have it ran in AC or NASA spec e30 if I ever finish it.

Never had a FWD car on my mind before the Gen3 Focus cam along. The RS would be asweet dream too. But it is likely not going to end up in my garage.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Oh pooh an all of you! Go for the gusto!! Nothing like 13" slicks front and rear, entirely too much horsepower in a car way too big to go thru those narrow gates. Now you have my attention; C Prepared!!

images
    images
    images
    images
    images

They're about as practical as dental floss at a Willie Nelson concert and as subtle as Slim Pickens on a nuclear warhead but DAYUM they are a blast when you hit the loud pedal!!:rockwoot:I've raced against all of these cars at nationals at one time or another and when anywhere from 30-70 of these beasts fire up for their first run they set off seismographs all over the country!!:rockwoot::rockwoot:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I used to race my Eagle Talon all wheel drive back in the early to mid 2000's. I have some nice Indy Region SCCA awards on the wall. I have a much larger and laggier turbocharger now so only do private track events.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just to weigh in on the handling vs horsepower question, at Waterford Hills, where the straitaway is only 1800' or so, the track record is still held by a Cosworth RS. And this place is a playground for GM engineers with one-off toys. Opt for handling over brute force. vive la Colin Chapman

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Have been wanting to do this for a few years, but cannot afford it. The thought of taking a car doesn't belong and pushing it to it limits is very appealing. Anybody with enough practice can take a good car and make it do what it's supposed to do.

Currently dodge telephone poles and corn fields with this. Being built into a "track" car, will be awhile till its done. Already have some suspension upgrades done and if you can keep from sliding across the bench seat, it handles its own in the corners.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I try and get out to 1 or 2 autox events a year in my 2005 mustang. Always a very good time. Except when a buddy in a Honda Insight beat me in my 500rwhp mustang. All about the driver and tires.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    Here is the conversion kit that I am using.

Welcome to SuperFastMiatas.com

Acura J32A2 motor. 250-300 hp

i will autocross the car some, go to the closest road course (Gingerman) and turn some laps there. I also have driven in the One Lap of America 7 or 8 time in this same car, super charged, turboed and now with a V6 if I can get the car done this spring.

A well driven stock Miata can beat 1/2 to 2/3rds of the field as it is. Don't be too quick to get rid of it. If you do, let me now. I have a friend looking for one with a Torsten rear end and no rust.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    I've definitely looking for a nice Focus ST. You're probably aware of the ST's at Nebraska last year. The class was was beat handily by a guy with a 2015. Well over a second faster than the 2nd place finisher.

I'm in the middle of an e30 restoration, but would love to have it ran in AC or NASA spec e30 if I ever finish it.

Never had a FWD car on my mind before the Gen3 Focus cam along. The RS would be asweet dream too. But it is likely not going to end up in my garage.

I raced in NASA with a spec E30 for a couple of years and also a Spec Miata 4 years. Lots of good memories.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    11903965_10153255413563323_5661800613484974861_n.jpg

Get something you like to drive. I tried the dedicated "racecar" thing and it wasn't for me. I like to know what I'm pushing like the back of my hand and that only occasionallydriving thing for me didn't work. YMMV. My "racecar" is also my daily, so I make some concessions on comfort but I've got 2 other vehicles and a motorcycle if it gets too much lol

BTW, it's fun being fast than most of the "muscle car" class (CAM) in a Kia.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have had 6 different rotory Mazdas over the years, the 90 Turbo II being the best of the bunch. It was ahead of its time with big 4 piston brakes. I remember being a poor 20 year old and trying to afford a new clutch and brakes for that car!

Back in the day (early to mid 80's) I had to run (SCCA Pro Rally) against a Mazda RX-7 driven by some guy named Rod Millen :):......Unbelievable power he was getting out of that rotary engine, and it didn't hurt that this particular RX-7 was Four Wheel Drive (he had Mazda development and backing). Very reliable the rotary engines were, I think they only have like seven moving parts in them. It always came down to Millen and some guy named John Buffum:): who had a turbo charged Audi Quattro (factory backed).

Millen%20RX7_zpsq3a7nbb3.jpg

Buffums%20Audi_zps4ozsxgat.jpg

My Dodge Colt.....1600CC

Tulip 200 - Southern Ohio
    scan0002_zpsdczs3zun.jpg

Getting ready for tech inspection - Manistee Michigan
    scan0001_zpsjwejm6zm.jpg

Attachments

• scan0002_zpsdczs3zun.jpg
      scan0002_zpsdczs3zun.jpg
      132.6 KB · Views: 2
    Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wish we had a larger sports car community in central Indiana. Putnam park seems only used by PCA BMWcca and occasional tests. IRP road course is unmaintained last I knew. I'm sure there are auto crosses around but I'm not a SCCA member anymore so I probably would rejoin if they actually are manager better than in the past.

Other towns I visit always seem to have something scheduled I can look up when I have downtime.

Top Bottom