Any suggestions for a new riding lawn mower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I stopped by a local true value to look at simplicity mowers. They have a couple that look like really nice mowers but are getting pricey (2K). I also called around and found a used Deere LT150 for 900.

If this is anything like my typical purchase, I'll end up with something ridiculously more than I need (like the dixie chopper)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Do NOT get a Dixon. I have a friend that owns a lawn care service, and he mows my yard. My cost is do any welding that is needed. I've had to repair his mowers way to many times for a mower that is supposed to be commercial.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Stay away from Craftsman...even though that is what I've got. Go with what is above. However if you just want to get into something simple and live with it for a while, my brother in law just rebuild a rearmount engine mower (like forest gump had) and he is going to resale it very cheap a couple hundred at most. PM if interested.

ar121649468203803.jpg

csnoski

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When my old Bolens gave me a scare a couple years ago I started doing research. Club Cadet was to be my replacement, but thankfully the kids that were cutting my yard during my extended absence caring for my terminally ill mother didn't know what they were doing! Have had 2 Bolens (the first an early 60's tank) but would no longer recommend as they have been taken over by MTD. Club Cadet looked like the best a year or so ago....found some interesting buys on Ebay at the time.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    My vote also goes for a Cub Cadet.Mine is a 1050 (50in. cut and 23hp 2cyl. Kohler mower).It will cut anything-seems to be very economical on gas.You might check at Home Depot for a return.Ours had been used only 2.2 hours and then returned and refurbished.We saved $500 off the new price and we still got the new warranty.$2k tractor for $1500 was a sweet deal:D

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    My Dad has a John Deere that's 20 years old now, it mows our acre lot. We replaced the blades the first time last year, belts this year and one other time like 10 years ago, change oil every season, and the only other thing we have had to replace is the battery. All just general maintenance stuff. We have never once had any problems with the engine or anything else on the mower. These are great mowers, and I'm sure they are still worth the investment.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    All three mentioned below, Simplicity. Snapper and Ferris are all owned by Briggs and Straton. All are manufactured separately, but the decks are made by a separate B&S owned company.

I have a Simplicity 44 inch Zero turn that is a residential model built to commercial standards. Came with a Kohler 18hp single cylinder engine that has performed flawlessly for the 4 years I've owned it. My only regret is that I should have gotten a 2 cylinder engine because they run a little quieter and with less vibration.

Now piece of advice, I did this same exact thing when I bought mine and came away with tons of good things from people, but did not let them sway me either way. I just took what was told me and went and beat the bushes looking at about 7 different models, even asking them to let me test mow with them, then made my choice.

So do some exhaustive checking along with our input then buy the mower of YOUR choice. Because you gotta ride it each week, and the last thing you need is every time you hop on and start it up is saying to yourself, "Why in the heck did I let them talk me into this one". :)

Simplicity is ranked among the best mowers for cutting. Many golf courses uses this mower because of it's mower deck. They are more expensive, but I would at least check them out. Otherwise I would go with the Cubcadet. It's a little cheaper.

Stay away from Craftsman...even though that is what I've got. Go with what is above. However if you just want to get into something simple and live with it for a while, my brother in law just rebuild a rearmount engine mower (like forest gump had) and he is going to resale it very cheap a couple hundred at most. PM if interested.

ar121649468203803.jpg

Ferris, I think I spelled it right, great ZTR.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    If your still in the $1500 range, that will be your biggest limiting factor.
    Understand there are Garden Tractors and there are riding lawn mowers.

Not the same.
    For what your cutting, you can still get a decent rider like the mentioned Cub, Snapper or Toro.
    Another thought might be the Ferris walk behind w/sulky. Still a little more than the riders but zips around trees, shrubs and under fencing. Most come with the better engines as well. Big Decision with lots of choices. Good Luck

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    As someone who has been working on mowers since i could hold a wrench in my hand i can tell you this ...whatever you decide on as far as brand ,most of are made by MTD ...yes even the cub .
    Make sure you get the kohler engine ...
    I personally use the craftsman I have a 16 horse 42" cut that i have mowed 4 acres with for 9 years now ,,aside from changing oil once a season and the usual blade sharpen ..i have had to replace the battery once ..:twocents:

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I say buy mine :D ...20hp 42 in deck mowed the yard 8-10 times (6 hours of run time) bought it new from Sears last summer. PM me if interested

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Can't believe I'm the first one to say this (unless I missed a post somewhere here), but whatever you buy, get a Honda powerplant. Small gas engines are what they do, and do well.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I saw an advertisement the other day that sears is having a 20% off their lawn mowers. I don't know what the catches are if any, but it may be something worth a look at. :dunno:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Had a craftsman for the last 7 years that I bought at Sears. I used it to mow our big-ass yard in the summer, pick up the leaves in the fall and had a blade on it to plow our long driveway in the winter. Never had a single problem with it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My folks bought a Craftsman garden tractor in the mid 90s and it still works like a charm. When they bought a Cub, it got relegated to backup duties. Last year, the Cub was lost to a fire and the old Craftsman just picked up where it left off. They dearly miss that Cub though. ZTRs made mowing a breeze compared to a standard lawn tractor.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The next time I buy (I got a JD 5 yrs ago) I'm going to focus on the deck and how it cuts. Picking a quality engine is pretty easy. Finding a durable frame isn't rocket science. But if your deck isn't designed properly, it won't cut worth squat.

I haven't had a single mechanical problem with my JD, plenty of power, reliable, but it cuts terribly and won't mulch much without leaving clumps. My old Snapper rear engine cut 10 times better, left my lawn looking manicured, and would mulch all out of proportion with its size. I think people get all caught up in engines, width of cut, etc., but when it really comes down to it, I want my lawn to look good.

The engine and everything else are just there to turn the blades and move them over the yard. If it doesn't cut well, nothing else maters. :twocents:

Top Bottom