• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    On the Lexus you have to hold the "set" button in for a few secs then it goes to regular cruise control. I disable the radar when on interstates with little traffic. If not I'll run up on a car going 10mph under the speed limit and not notice it for a while. :lmfao:
    I'll try to remember that next time I'm in it.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've had my Taco since 2016. I put rails on top, a truckbox behind the cab, and also use a bed extender (vertically) to carry a canoe when I get the chance. The ONLY thing I don't like about this truck is that I had to wait almost 5 months for it to be made special order--I refused to live without a manual transmission. I did do the dealership/Ziebart rustproofing deal with free yearly refresh on that and the diamond coat. Zero issues so far. Mechanically solid as you could want a truck to be. I do tend to have a rather heavy foot, so typically only get about 20mpg. There is enough room for 4 adults comfortably, unless y'all are all 6 ft or taller (I'm 6'1").

I also second the idea of skipping first year production, but it's probably WAY less of a big deal with Toyota than other brands.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Drove an 04 Tacoma forever. Super reliable. Changed oil, tires, and brakes. That was it. I spend a fair bit of time driving. Finally upgraded to a full size. As much as I loved my Tacoma, there is no comparison in ride quality to a full size. Don’t think I would ever go back, at least for a daily driver.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    On the Lexus you have to hold the "set" button in for a few secs then it goes to regular cruise control. I disable the radar when on interstates with little traffic. If not I'll run up on a car going 10mph under the speed limit and not notice it for a while. :lmfao:
    Worked like a charm. Thanks.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'd sure drive a Taco, IF they could get their **** together on side impact crash safety.

Until then, not so much.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The new taco will have a 2.8 L 4 cylinder turbo.
    The new Land Cruiser the same. both I believe with hybrid electric option. Horsepower is 325 with over 400 foot pounds of torque. . Lexus gets a more powerful twin turbo 6 cylinder but if you have Lexus Money Gas budget is not problematic.

Towing I don’t know about but if they are trying to hit the new ranger demographic then about 6k pounds. of course side impact statements were not talked about and only you tubers with big followings got to set inside the truck the rest were just looking at the outside.nobody got to drive one. One YouTuber did state it fit his 6 foot 3 frame much better than the older models. (Japanese tend to be a bit smaller in dimensions)

in the Toyota community the current taco is called the “turd generation” instead of the third generation. They sold a ton but they are not well thought of as the first and second generations models are. Once again like most of us here on INGO opinions vary like gas mileage. The average truck person the current taco might be a very good fit

Not being a true follower of car truck sales I think we get a new gen Tacoma, a new gen forerunner and the new Landy. Tundra and rav4 remain unchanged as the have been newly released.

I would love to see the Prado/ hylux based models with a turbo diesel engine released for FUSA imports. These beasts are for where auto parts stores are few and far between.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The new Land Cruiser the same. both I believe with hybrid electric option. Horsepower is 325 with over 400 foot pounds of torque. . Lexus gets a more powerful twin turbo 6 cylinder but if you have Lexus Money Gas budget is not problematic.

Towing I don’t know about but if they are trying to hit the new ranger demographic then about 6k pounds. of course side impact statements were not talked about and only you tubers with big followings got to set inside the truck the rest were just looking at the outside.nobody got to drive one. One YouTuber did state it fit his 6 foot 3 frame much better than the older models. (Japanese tend to be a bit smaller in dimensions)

in the Toyota community the current taco is called the “turd generation” instead of the third generation. They sold a ton but they are not well thought of as the first and second generations models are. Once again like most of us here on INGO opinions vary like gas mileage. The average truck person the current taco might be a very good fit

Not being a true follower of car truck sales I think we get a new gen Tacoma, a new gen forerunner and the new Landy. Tundra and rav4 remain unchanged as the have been newly released.

I would love to see the Prado/ hylux based models with a turbo diesel engine released for FUSA imports. These beasts are for where auto parts stores are few and far between.
    Problem with the new land cruiser is that the hybrid is not an option. I'm not currently interested in jumping into a hybrid, especially in this class of vehicle. As currently announced in the US, it is the only power train being offered, I believe. That's a no go for me.

Here's the Tacoma preview they did as well: https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...adds-hybrid-and-trailhunter-keeps-manual.html

I'll keep driving the FJ. Big fan of Toyota. I'll keep watching what happens with next gen 4runner. Will be interesting to see what goes on there with the Land Cruiser coming back.

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I daily a Gen 3 2019 TRD off road. 58k miles at the moment Love it. I'm 6'2". Biggest complaint is the rearview mirror doesn't go high enough and I end up tilting my head down at stop lights to see the color change. V6. I average about 22mpg with a mostly empty bed but I also don't take off from a dead stop like it's a race to get to the next light.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso

I'm with you, utilized diesel Hylux's (and Rangers) in Afghanistan...best damn vehicles I've ever been in. COULD NOT kill them. (We tried) Never in a million years will we get a stripped down 4x4 with a diesel and a stick...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I'll keep driving the FJ. Big fan of Toyota.
    This is sandy my 2008 FJ. (Not her best photo.) Option package one and two so she has everything the trail teams of 2008 had except she has sandstone and white and not iceburg white only.

She takes premium fuel only and has never had a bar drink in her life.

Big fan of the FJ.

Attachments

• IMG_3505.jpeg
      IMG_3505.jpeg
      728 KB · Views: 4

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This is sandy my 2008 FJ. (Not her best photo.) Option package one and two so she has everything the trail teams of 2008 had except she has sandstone and white and not iceburg white only.

She takes premium fuel only and has never had a bar drink in her life.

Big fan of the FJ.
    20170529_191853698_iOS.jpeg
    20180619_005717268_iOS.jpeg
    Took these a few years ago after I leveled it with some Bilstein 5100's. I haven't taken any more recent but still looks like this.

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    The resale value has kept us in Toyotas. Bought a 2017 Tacoma TRD offroad for around 32k new. Just traded it in with 100k miles for 25,500. Only thing I did to the truck was routine stuff. Tires changed at 50k/fluid changes. Truck still has original brakes and battery. Needs tires. Frame did have more rust than I’d like on a truck that age, but I honestly abused it as far as preventative rust protection and keeping it clean.

Was happy enough with it that I wanted a new one of the same generation before they are discontinued.

Regardless, I do not believe you can go wrong with a Tacoma.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I daily a Gen 3 2019 TRD off road. 58k miles at the moment Love it. I'm 6'2". Biggest complaint is the rearview mirror doesn't go high enough and I end up tilting my head down at stop lights to see the color change. V6. I average about 22mpg with a mostly empty bed but I also don't take off from a dead stop like it's a race to get to the next light.
    What up BnB? It feels like it's been a minute. Good to see you back on here.

:hijack:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    The resale value has kept us in Toyotas. Bought a 2017 Tacoma TRD offroad for around 32k new. Just traded it in with 100k miles for 25,500. Only thing I did to the truck was routine stuff. Tires changed at 50k/fluid changes. Truck still has original brakes and battery. Needs tires. Frame did have more rust than I’d like on a truck that age, but I honestly abused it as far as preventative rust protection and keeping it clean.

Was happy enough with it that I wanted a new one of the same generation before they are discontinued.

Regardless, I do not believe you can go wrong with a Tacoma.
    I'll add to the rust thing with a friend's experience... he had major rust issues with his Gen 1 Tacoma. The frame rusted in half. Rust seems to be a big problem with a lot of them. First thing I did when I got mine was take it to Ziebart and get the underbody spray. It won't solve the problem, but it will help mitigate it. You can take it back in every year and have them touch up any spots that have worn off or been scraped off for $40. Besides the spray I like to crawl under and put eyes on it every other month. If I see any rusty spots I'll take a wire brush, clean it up and spray it with fluid film.

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    I'll add to the rust thing with a friend's experience... he had major rust issues with his Gen 1 Tacoma. The frame rusted in half. Rust seems to be a big problem with a lot of them. First thing I did when I got mine was take it to Ziebart and get the underbody spray. It won't solve the problem, but it will help mitigate it. You can take it back in every year and have them touch up any spots that have worn off or been scraped off for $40. Besides the spray I like to crawl under and put eyes on it every other month. If I see any rusty spots I'll take a wire brush, clean it up and spray it with fluid film.
    Currently trying to decide between Krown treatment and Ziebart. Definitely going to get one of the two done on this truck first thing. The krown process is interesting if you’ve never heard of it. It’s an oil type spray. Applied yearly. Similar to fluid film. They even go as far as drilling small holes in the door/cab to get the inside of the metal, then place small plugs where they drilled. Still researching, just learned about this process today. Reviews seem to be really good aside from some complaints of seal/rubber damage from the chemicals interacting with one another. Reasonable at around $140.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Currently trying to decide between Krown treatment and Ziebart. Definitely going to get one of the two done on this truck first thing. The krown process is interesting if you’ve never heard of it. It’s an oil type spray. Applied yearly. Similar to fluid film. They even go as far as drilling small holes in the door/cab to get the inside of the metal, then place small plugs where they drilled. Still researching, just learned about this process today. Reviews seem to be really good aside from some complaints of seal/rubber damage from the chemicals interacting with one another. Reasonable at around $140.
    That’d be money well spent.
    I think someday my tundra will break in half like so many Toyota pickups before it.

Took it in for the frame recall and they told me “boy it’s close to meeting the standards for replacement but not quite there”. Not the most inspiring thing.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been happy with my '19 Tacoma. It's a simple, robust vehicle that is very flexible.
    4b95b5eb3f0e16ba26764685380cbcc9.jpg

Top Bottom