• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I'm getting ready to start a project that will donate ALL proceeds to charity.

If all income is sent to a specific charity, would there be a tax implication for my LLC?

If the project goes well, I could see 10's, if not 100's of thousands of dollars being generated, and I and the other contributors will bear the development/promotion/etc costs and write a check for the exact top line amount that comes in.

I (or other contributors) expect to just write off the costs as a business expense but I'm a little afraid that I might end up getting a tax bill for the money donated...:dunno:

Any help?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I am not an expert, just asking if you are setup as a non-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization?
    Negative. I do have a standard LLC.

I was thinking of setting up a second non-profit specifically for this project but I would really prefer not to... Managing my LLC and all the other junk that goes along with it is already a pain, adding a non-profit to the mix would probably make me want to jump out the window...

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Nope, no accountant yet, don't make enough money in the venture to have to really worry about it.

Now the collaboration I'm working on for charity could have a very large potential, which is good. The plan is to send over 100% of proceeds to Wounded Warriors, I'm just trying to make sure I won't get hammered by the tax man if I do that. (and have to pay a % of that 100% out of pocket, could easily bankrupt me...)

kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Contributions to your LLC are NOT deductible by the "donors". However, if the LLC makes contributions to a qualified charity (a 501C3), then the owners of the LLC take the deductins personally on their 1040 Sch A. If you want to get tax breaks for all your donors, it seems that you should get 501C3 status for your organization and have them donate to that. Just don't have "Tea Party", "Patriot", or "constitution" in it's name or you may never get it.

Ref: 28 yrs with HRBlock and an enrolled agent.

kb

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Contributions to your LLC are NOT deductible by the "donors". However, if the LLC makes contributions to a qualified charity (a 501C3), then the owners of the LLC take the deductins personally on their 1040 Sch A. If you want to get tax breaks for all your donors, it seems that you should get 501C3 status for your organization and have them donate to that. Just don't have "Tea Party", "Patriot", or "constitution" in it's name or you may never get it.

Ref: 28 yrs with HRBlock and an enrolled agent.

kb

It wouldn't be contributions it would be sales, royalties from sales actually, just as if it were a normal sale. Its just that I want to give all the proceeds to the charity of choice, but not get hammered with taxes for the (non) income.

If it were tax neutral that would be great, I just want to make sure first.

Does that make more sense or change the response? :dunno:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Tax law is complicated. That's how I've made my living for over thirty years now, and I'm not complaining!

You can probably make your plans work out ok, but my advice is that you need to talk to a good tax lawyer or tax accountant. Preferably one who works in the charitable or non profit field. Any free advice from a forum like this is worth exactly what you paid for it. Including mine...:)

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    As a 100% disabled combat veteran, I can say from my experience that there is no better military charity than Fisher House Home | Fisher House Foundation. This is who I support with my time and money.

Fisher House is one of the few military charities that has an A rating from charity watch.

The Semper Fi Fund Semper Fi Fund » Home is another highly rated charity. I have no experience with this one.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Looking at operation homefront and Fisher house.

Thanks for the links!

I really like how homefront goes DIRECTLY to a specific need. Kind of amazing that they can set that up. Just want to make sure they are good ratio of dollars in dollars out.

Top Bottom