Any Teachers Out There That Know About Student Handbooks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    OK, so I have a bit of a problem...

The Friday before last, my younger brother tore his MCL completely in half during his high school football game. He missed all of last week due to massive swelling and fluid buildup. He has a nazi English teacher that demands work being turned in on time, regardless of a Dr.'s excuse(he clearly has this).

My Father has been working 7 days a week and my Mother was in RI all last week for business, so I was helping my brother out here and there.

This past week he had a "big" paper due. It was a 4 page paper on Civil War battles in the book Dances With Wolves. He wrote the paper, but I proof-read it for him and added/subtracted a few things here and there to ensure he got a good grade...We were emailing each other back and forth with revisions and after the rough draft was finalized, I took it out to the school for him to make sure it was turned in before the due date.

He went to school for half a day on Friday and when he got the paper back, he had a 0/200...He forgot to add a title page.:rolleyes:

Not only did he receive a 0, but she didn't even bother to proof-read his rough draft like she did everyone else(she proof-reads them and you can turn in a final copy for more credit).

So this is my question...Can she do this? It's been many years since I read the student handbook, but I'm pretty sure if you have a Dr.'s note, you are exempt from the original deadline. I mean, I can completely understand having certain rules can prevent lazy students from calling in sick to have extra time for a paper, but 5,000+ people watched my brother get carted off the field on a Gator last Friday.

I need some input before I compose an email to this teacher...My Mom would normally do this, but she's now out of town again, so I'm going to take up for my little brother and assume the role of his caretaker for the time being.

I'd much rather talk to her personally before going above her head, because I'm sure when I go talk to the Principal he is going to ask me if I have talked to her first.

I'd also love to throw in a, "this isn't 'Nam, this is high school English...There are rules," but I'm not sure if I should(That is a Big Lebowski quote for those of you who didn't get it).:):

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    He has an injury related to a school activity so no she cannot. I would get the administration involved.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I would say you need to get a copy of the student handbook to find out the rules about doctor excuses

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I would also look into any statements that she has made in the past concerning "Jocks".
    We had a couple of teachers that intentionally low balled the grades of the football and basketball players to teach them that Academics were more important than sports. :n00b:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I would also look into any statements that she has made in the past concerning "Jocks".
    We had a couple of teachers that intentionally low balled the grades of the football and basketball players to teach them that Academics were more important than sports. :n00b:

Hey, I completely agree that Academics are much, much more important that sports...But if you can handle both(like my brother is currently doing), then there shouldn't be an issue.

I'm still steaming right now about that 0/200...That ***** has no reason to be treating my brother this way and I can promise you he will be getting his points for that paper.:xmad:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    As a life-long professional educator, this makes me sick. A goose egg because there was no title page? That means none of the other work was considered, much less credited.

The injury was not considered either... and IN SPITE of his injury he STILL tried to get the paper in on time. A zero is :poop:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    As a life-long professional educator, this makes me sick. A goose egg because there was no title page? That means none of the other work was considered, much less credited.

The injury was not considered either... and IN SPITE of his injury he STILL tried to get the paper in on time. A zero is :poop:

I know, right? If the story makes you sick, try being in my shoes...I drove over to my parent's house one evening to bring my little bro a pizza and he was in bed with his leg propped up and his laptop was sitting on his stomach and he was pecking away at this paper.

BTW, he didn't "try" to get the paper in on time, he DID get the paper in on time...I'm sure of this because I handed it to the secretary at 7:00 AM(3 1/2 hours before it was due) and told her that the paper must be presented to Mrs. Asshat before her class started.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Yep, get a copy of the handbook.

The two schools that we have been involved with during my son's time in each both read that the work had to be turned in from 3-5 days after the original due date of the assignment.

EX: Three-page report assigned on Monday morning, due on Wednesday Morning. Student has the flu on Monday morning, parent contacts school to get the homework. My son had until Monday of the next week to write the report and turn it in. He was to receive full credit for the report and it wasn't considered "late".

Not saying your school is the same way, as each differs in how their handbook is put together by their school board, but most I have seen or heard about went along with what we experienced.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would go straight over her head. Let the principal know what is going on, and explain your concern of repercussions...

Micromanager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Attack the facts.

I am a teacher as well. My advice is that I would not argue the point on the extra time; he didn't need it. It is admirable that he did turn the paper in on time. However, I would address the problem and that is that the teacher is not teaching your brother anything but that she obviously has issues. I also would suggest that you send her one email that simply states "could you please explain your position on why you gave my brother a 0/200 on his paper? And what can we do to correct this?" Don't be accusing, just get the facts. If her answer does not satisfy you, then go the principal. Stick to the facts and emphasize that she is not helping your brother learn from his mistakes. If things start to get argumentative then I would also point out that if a title page is worth 200 points, then what is the rest of the paper for? :)

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    He has an injury related to a school activity so no she cannot. I would get the administration involved.

I am a teacher as well. My advice is that I would not argue the point on the extra time; he didn't need it. It is admirable that he did turn the paper in on time. However, I would address the problem and that is that the teacher is not teaching your brother anything but that she obviously has issues. I also would suggest that you send her one email that simply states "could you please explain your position on why you gave my brother a 0/200 on his paper? And what can we do to correct this?" Don't be accusing, just get the facts. If her answer does not satisfy you, then go the principal. Stick to the facts and emphasize that she is not helping your brother learn from his mistakes. If things start to get argumentative then I would also point out that if a title page is worth 200 points, then what is the rest of the paper for? :)

I think they sum it up very well.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Go straight to the principal. If you do not get satisfaction at that level then go to the superintendent then the school board members etc. However, I doubt you would need to go any further than the principal. I would also talk to his coach.
    Politics are politics and it is very much alive in schools. I was a good athlete in school and I was part of the swing choir as well (my mom's idea). Anyway there was always a battle between the athletic department and the music department. For me athletics came first and music second. I let the instructors battle it out though. Anyway, that is what you are running into. The teacher has an agenda and she is trying to send a message to the coaching staff. Don't bother talking to the teacher, you will get nowhere. Go straight to the top. Take the coach with you if possible. He will have something to say about it I am sure. Definitley pursue the matter not only for your brother but for all the other athletes stuck in the middle. My two cents.

WBE3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You will find out things a lot easier going to the source first than attacking the Principal with this problem. MM has given you some sound advice. That way you will KNOW the problem if in fact you need to speak with the Principal.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Do NOT go straight to the principal...

Because the first thing they'll generally say is "have you been in touch with the classroom teacher?"

My wife deals with that garbage every day...as a classroom teacher.

-J-

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    Read the Handbook. See if the teacher has a Written classroom grading policy. Read it. Request a meeting with the teacher. If that doesn't go well, meet with the Department Head (most schools have them). No luck there? Then on to the administration. Then the school board. I quess I'm saying...there is a chain-of-command. Good luck.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't go to the principal first. That comes later, if necessary. If you make an enemy of the teacher, it'll make the rest of the year a complete battle. Get it resolved amicably first, and if you can't come to an agreement, that's when you escalate.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Thanks for all of the input guys.

As stated in my first post, I fully plan on contacting her first before going over her head.

I will go pick up his agenda book(where the handbook is) this evening.

As far as resolving this amicably, I'm afraid that isn't going to be an option, but we'll see.

She must get her jollies from pushing around high school kids that don't know how to defend themselves, but that isn't going to fly with me...As mean as this witch might be, I can assure that when push comes to shove, she is NOT meaner than me.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I agree. Talk to her first and try to be calm. I know emotions get things going quickly but don't let that happen. Always try and keep cool with them. The yelling and screaming will not get you there any faster. I've seen it happen and it just makes things worse(When I was in high school my last hour of my jr and sr year I was a Office aid and saw a lot of crap). I think he should've at least recieved partial credit for it. Also ask your brother how she's treated him in the past as well. If he's always done things on time and correctly then one forgotten cover page shouldn't be this way.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I agree. Talk to her first and try to be calm. I know emotions get things going quickly but don't let that happen. Always try and keep cool with them. The yelling and screaming will not get you there any faster. I've seen it happen and it just makes things worse(When I was in high school my last hour of my jr and sr year I was a Office aid and saw a lot of crap). I think he should've at least recieved partial credit for it. Also ask your brother how she's treated him in the past as well. If he's always done things on time and correctly then one forgotten cover page shouldn't be this way.

I have...She has always treated him this way and he's never missed a deadline.

Hell, he didn't miss this deadline either.:n00b:

I took a deep breath before composing the email and was very civil...If things go downhill, this email will probably have to be reviewed by the Principal and/or board, so she won't be able to say I didn't at least try to resolve this in a peaceful fashion.

I can post it if anyone would like to read it.

Top Bottom