Any Teachers Out There That Know About Student Handbooks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    She already replied to the email and it didn't go well.

She will now let him turn in the final draft(he was going to get a 0 for the final draft too!!!), but will not let him submit the rough draft for any points.

I misunderstood the problem at the beginning...It wasn't just because of the title page, it was because he did not submit the paper to turnitin.com at the same time I drove the paper out there. He clearly had the paper done on time and she knows this, but that's not good enough.

All of the other 20+ students were reminded every single day to do this, but apparently it is my brother's fault for being bed ridden and not being in class to hear the reminder.

I talked to the counselor and while she told me how stupid it is, there is nothing she can do because the English department has a strict set of guidelines that don't get bent for anything...Yes, you heard it correctly; if you were in a car accident on the way to school and ended up in a coma in the hospital, you would receive ZERO points for the paper you bled all over.

Also, with regarding the fact that she didn't even bother to proof-read his, she said he could have emailed her at any time to ask about grammatical questions...Only the people that were in class and were reminded to use turnitin.com were awarded that luxury.

I'm not sure what to do next.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    sounds like she's just an unhappy *****!

If he needs it proofread (I'm in school to be a High School English teacher) I'll be happy to look it over. Of course I can't guarantee that it will get him an A, but I'd still look it over.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How long was the turnitin.com requirement known? We're already into the second semester. Shouldn't he have known by now that English papers have to be submitted to that website first? Also, it should have been included with the assignment instructions and parameters.

He certainly deserves some leeway, but it's hard to hear the teacher's side through you. I know when my kid is sick, there's a lot of interaction via e-mail with the teacher to make sure she's got everything she needs for her assignments. (I'm not saying you didn't do that, just saying that's what I do). If the requirement wasn't made known when he was given the assignment, then you should have a reasonable claim.

Micromanager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Keep going....

At this point I would call up and complain to the principal. Zero tolerance is ugly. Also since he was out with a doctor’s excuse, he should be allowed extra time to re-submit it since he was not in class to receive the directions. I also looked up this website turnitin.com and while it has its merits it doesn't take the place of a teacher. I was also a little miffed because it seems to be like several programs that schools are going toward using that basically take the place of teachers. Before we know it students won't even need a teacher to interact with, we can just submit all our work online and have a computer grade it. Of course in this situation maybe that is what needs to happen! If you know any board members or other parents who have kids at the school, I would let them all know about this situation and the inflexibility of the rule. Students have situations that arise that are cause for flexibility. If nothing else, it gets the wheel squeaking and we all know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Micromanager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Oh yeah, one more thing

Guidance counselors have no more power in most school corporations than a classroom teacher. So yes she is right, there isn’t anything SHE can do about it. But the principal can....and so can the Superintendent....and so can the school board.

Last edited:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    So the teacher is mad because she is actually going to have to grade something instead of the website? Is that what is going on?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    sounds like she's just an unhappy *****!

If he needs it proofread (I'm in school to be a High School English teacher) I'll be happy to look it over. Of course I can't guarantee that it will get him an A, but I'd still look it over.

I can proof read it...I never received a grade lower than an "A" on a college paper, but she has her own set of rules; rules that didn't apply to all of my professors with measly PhDs.

How long was the turnitin.com requirement known? We're already into the second semester. Shouldn't he have known by now that English papers have to be submitted to that website first? Also, it should have been included with the assignment instructions and parameters.

He certainly deserves some leeway, but it's hard to hear the teacher's side through you. I know when my kid is sick, there's a lot of interaction via e-mail with the teacher to make sure she's got everything she needs for her assignments. (I'm not saying you didn't do that, just saying that's what I do). If the requirement wasn't made known when he was given the assignment, then you should have a reasonable claim.

Although it was not mentioned with the assignment instructions and parameters, she had mentioned turnitin.com before, but this was the first time it was to be used, so he forgot about it...Damn him for having a torn MCL and a gallon of fluid built up around his knee.

I understand it's hard to hear her side through me, but I have presented all of the facts from both sides...If there is something you think would be pertinent to know that I may have left out, feel free to ask.

It's just too bad he doesn't have one of my good friends as an English teacher this year like he did last year.

But if it was my buddy Eric, this wouldn't be an issue in the first place, because even if he hated the student, he wouldn't be pulling this bull:poop:.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Although it was not mentioned with the assignment instructions and parameters, she had mentioned turnitin.com before, but this was the first time it was to be used, so he forgot about it...Damn him for having a torn MCL and a gallon of fluid built up around his knee.

His injury is why I said he deserved some leeway. Yes, it was his responsibility to know the assignment requirements, but if this was to be the first time they used it, it's understandable that he didn't. He should be given the opportunity to resubmit the assignment and it's not right that she denied him.

I understand it's hard to hear her side through me, but I have presented all of the facts from both sides...If there is something you think would be pertinent to know that I may have left out, feel free to ask..

No, I'm sure you have all the facts straight, but I also hear a lot of peoplein this thread making assumptions on her reasons for doing what she did, and the truth is that we don't really know. We only know what you've told us so far. I'm on your side (really!), I'm just trying to give some perspective from a parent who also has to deal with teachers sometimes.

Top Bottom