• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Are you talking about in 22 or 25? I had a 22 bobcat, I could only get it to work with CCI Stingers, any other 22 would not rack the slide. I don't think I would carry a 22 or 25 for self defense, the smalles I every carry is a .380 and that is rare. Still you can get some .380 that are just as small or smaller than the bobcat.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd get a Ruger LCP in .380 before I got a Tomcat.
    Smaller, lighter and less expensive........plus it might work better (seen a few Tomcats with problems, and Beretta customer service wasn't the best).
    But if you want a metal .380 and for some dexterity reason need a tip up bbl.....the Tomcat is about it.

Old Tomcat .380's had some slide issues. Newer version beefier, which IMHO kind of defeats the small/lighter gun idea.

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Are you talking about in 22 or 25? I had a 22 bobcat, I could only get it to work with CCI Stingers, any other 22 would not rack the slide. I don't think I would carry a 22 or 25 for self defense, the smalles I every carry is a .380 and that is rare. Still you can get some .380 that are just as small or smaller than the bobcat.

I missread the OP, I thought it said a Bobcat, my bad!

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I know there is a lot of denigrations about small caliber pistols but I really like the concealability.
    Aside from that any thoughts on reliability or accuracy?

Mine was good to me, never had a problem with it. Regret selling it now. Biggest thing I think of, tho, is that it was a fat little gun. Filled out a pocket. I personally like the KelTec P32 or the Taurus 732 TCP better for a concealable gun compared to the Tomcat.

And I have no problem with the .32acp. It is a big enough gun for personal protection.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I miss my Tomcat. The thing would bounce shotgun shells at five yards!

That being said, I don't carry anything smaller than my LCP (my BUG & sometimes summer carry)... That's me, though. Ammo makes all the difference.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    currently I'm over weight...

I stand 5'8 at 265, but I still have shorts & pants, an undershirt, plus a second layer. I sweat when the weather hits 70s, but it's still worth the extra discomfort to have my carry be what I prefer vs what fits my outfit. Is it a sacrifice? Yes. Is it worth the sacrifice? IMO, yes.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    The Mrs. has a .32 Tomcat.
    Primary reason for buying it was she has trouble raking the slide on a number of different pistols.
    She lacked the hand strength to do it.
    With the Tomcat, all she has to do is tip the barrel up and drop a round in and click it back into place.
    I think the tip up barrel idea is a very novel approach for people who are handicapped and have difficulties with semi auto pistols.
    When the Mrs. and I took some training a few years ago, I watch a number of ladies struggle with slides.
    A number of them had arthritis and just plain have problems to manipulate it.
    I managed to find a Beretta Model 86 in .380 a few years back.
    I feel better with that caliber than .32, but they are so hard to find.
    I think one of the reasons for the that is that people buy them and keep them.
    As I grow older, I feel having a handgun I can manipulate becomes more important.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    Because mine used my pocket as a holster, I chose the INOX (stainless steel) model. Mine has performed almost faultlessly, after the first 150 rounds. Had a few issues at first, but I put those off to newness and pocket lint. Still carry mine, especially in the hot summer.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    beretta tomcat in 380?

Never heard of such an animal...r u sure that this was made in 380
    I'd get a Ruger LCP in .380 before I got a Tomcat.
    Smaller, lighter and less expensive........plus it might work better (seen a few Tomcats with problems, and Beretta customer service wasn't the best).
    But if you want a metal .380 and for some dexterity reason need a tip up bbl.....the Tomcat is about it.

Old Tomcat .380's had some slide issues. Newer version beefier, which IMHO kind of defeats the small/lighter gun idea.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    summer carry is the thing, currently I'm over weight and wearing concealing clothing is out of the question.

I am 6' and 300lbs (trust me, you read this on the internet! LOL) and I carry my small guns in a holster between my belt and my pants, with just my shirt untucked andcovering them. Works well for me. A good tshirt is from Duluth Trading Company, the Longtail T - Work T-shirt - Men's Short Sleeve Longtail T - Duluth Trading Company . I get them in 2XL, and they cover my Sig P239 in a Fobus paddle holster when I am walking around the stores. Get active, and the shirt rides up over the the holster, tho. An IWB holster stays out of sight all the time, with the same gun.

That's what I do.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I currently have a tomcat. Its biggest advantages are its tip up and its grip. Although the grip is big it's easier to get around and makes it easy to shoot.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I wouldn't call the Tomcat a pleasant shooter, it's small size doesn't absorb much recoil, but it is manageable even with SD ammo. I haven't had any problems with mine at all and I actually carry it every now and then.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    My first real "carry" gun. Carried it in my jacket pocket in winter, pants pocket in summer for about two years. The I went with something a bit larger.

I liked the little gun; but there were a couple of FTFs, and it just didn't feel that it was very robust, if that explains it any at all. It felt a bit fragile. Ended up giving it to a family member.........

If it was all I had, I would carry it again, but I don't see ever purchasing another Tomcat.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I have one of the predecessors to the Tomcat that Tony mentioned, the Minx (.22 short). For concealability, i don't think you can beat it, and I was shooting a 50 year old Minx with ammo from I don't know when, and after I went through the rounds I was using to practice loading and racking the slide, I only had one misfire, and thats on the rimfire cartridge. I would have no issues at all getting a Tomcat based on my experiences with my Minx. Most people that shoot some of the smaller Berettas like them, and the ones who diss them normally just don't like the small cartridge.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    my wife has a tomcat in .32. the grip actually maintains the tension for the trigger disconnect and if the grip has any play or warpage, you will have one that doesn't work consistently... I have found that the factory plastic grips are turds and that most aftermarket wood grips do the job nicely.

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    The Tomcat is a nice little gun, but with so many pocket guns in .380 I would opt for one of those if I were planning on using it as a carry, a BUG, or a self defense situation.

The Ruger LCP is just one of many such alternatives.

Top Bottom