Any Tippecanoe County (or nearby) ham radio groups?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Back before I had carrying on the first date available to me, a nice hamfest served as an effective acid test of a relationship.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Just getting into this activity, and really don't know where to start.
    Welcome to the hobby/obsession. :)
    Amateur radio has so many different facets. So very many things to do, so little time. The one piece of advice I would give you (And I'm assuming you just got your tech.) is start now on your General, don't wait. You've got momentum and the material is still fresh in your mind.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Welcome to the hobby/obsession. :)
    Amateur radio has so many different facets. So very many things to do, so little time. The one piece of advice I would give you (And I'm assuming you just got your tech.) is start now on your General, don't wait. You've got momentum and the material is still fresh in your mind.

Not even Tech yet. Literally getting started.

The gun hobby was getting too expensive, so I thought I'd find something that involved less $$$.

:D

For right now, I'm just thinking of a little handheld that can double as a scanner, weather radio, etc.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'm glad I found this thread, I just requested info from ARRL on Friday. I have NO ONE in my circle of family or friends that knows anything about HAM. I emailed some random guy in a Kokomo Ham club, but I'm not sure if it was a correct email address so I won't hold my breath on a reply... I'm glad to see there is interest on INGO about Ham!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Not even Tech yet. Literally getting started.

The gun hobby was getting too expensive, so I thought I'd find something that involved less $$$.

:D

For right now, I'm just thinking of a little handheld that can double as a scanner, weather radio, etc.

Ha ha. Ha. Hahaha. You can easily dive just as deep into radio as you can into guns. Back in my day, WA8VZY got a lot of coverage on 145.25 from a stick on the tower of his commercial broadcast station, though to be fair I don't recall which came first. He did get extended coverage on the input from a set of satellite receivers. One of my neighbors has a bunch of beams and whatnot way up in the air. You're sniffin the koolaid, man.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ham radio is like going shopping in a mall. There a hundred different ways to take the hobby. I recommend a Baofeng handheld. Cheap and will get you started. Lafayette has a DSTAR repeater which adds nice functionality if you wish to explore digital modes down the road. DSTAR is a digital mode that allows transfer of data. Hams during Katrina were transmitting using DStar and to the outside world appeared to be chatting but underneath the voice, vital data was also being transmitted for the Red Cross and other agencies. Moonbouncing, PSK31 (my latest enterprise ), IRLP, ECHOLINK, ... over time you'll learn all those terms.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I'm glad I found this thread, I just requested info from ARRL on Friday. I have NO ONE in my circle of family or friends that knows anything about HAM. I emailed some random guy in a Kokomo Ham club, but I'm not sure if it was a correct email address so I won't hold my breath on a reply... I'm glad to see there is interest on INGO about Ham!

If you are close to Elkhart County send me a pm. May be able to help you.

Top Bottom