• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddie1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Hi all,

We are planning a move in a couple of months to the Lafayette area. We'll be buying a fixer upper type home or maybe even a foreclosure because that's all we can afford.

Any tips on places to avoid? We're not firm on Lafayette but would like to stay within a 20 minute drive.

Thanks.......

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Welcome to Lafayette.

Do you have an agent?

I live close to downtown in the Hedgewood Neighborhood. There are a couple of houses for sale here. Quiet, established, close to everything (schools, grocery, shopping) and we have a park in the middle of the neighborhood to keep out SOR.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    My girlfriend lives in Mulberry right outside of Dayton. Shes only about 20 minutes from all the stores and stuff on 38. In my opinion both of those small communities seem nice and affordable.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't live next to Kirk.

Come on, I hardly ever wear my pink Speedo and wrestling shoes anymore in the yard.

Maybe best to stay away from the Foxwoods Neighborhood,heard theres a big lizard infestation in that area.

images

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If you live in Lafayette, you'll want a house out of the Stayley smell range. I'd rather live spitting distance to a hog barn than smell Stayleys. Lafayette is a nice town.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have moved to unfamiliar territory 6 different times in my life. Here is what I learned the hard way. DON"T BUY A HOUSE RIGHT AWAY!. Find some rental housing that will get you by for a year. While you live there, you will have time to meet people, learn the neighborhoods, read in the paper what the city planners have in plans for the area. Lafayette has changed a lot in the last 15 years. There ARE bad neighborhoods. Lafayette always had some lower end places, but now, because of government programs, there are places that look nice that are all full of government funded low life criminals. My rental was in a nice looking neighborhood that was only about 10 years old. There were adult males looking in the windows at 9:AM and midnight. Drug deals going down, Police stakeouts and officers making warrant arrests in the night, etc. I felt like I was ALWAYS on guard duty. I am glad that I did not purchase a house there, even though there were nice homes at reasonable prices. I am now in a nice stable neighborhood and enjoying a little peace.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    South side of Laf is hit or miss. Close in to downtown and the near north side as well.

You need to come and rent for a while, then make a choice.

I have a nice little fixer-upper on the west side, in a quiet neighborhood. :):

madeuce50

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Lafayette,In.
    I am moving OUT of Lafayette because of the H.U.D. Idiots from Chicago that have been given new territories to rob, sling dope and terrorize. Thank the council and the mayor for this mess. I would bet if they moved a few into THEIR protected neighborhoods things would change. I would not recommend this town to anyone that is not thick skinned and street wise and then good luck. Buy a house and see what it is worth a year down the road. I suggest you look in the Mulberry/Rossville area. Just my 2cents worth

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    IMO best town in Indiana. You should work with a local real estate agent to be sure the location your buying represents the best possible return on your investment. And FYI, the seller typically pays the agent, not the buyer...thats a common misconception.

Top Bottom