• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Been getting ready for trapping season for a while, don’t seem to see any others talking about it. Guns, traps, knives, wildlife, dogs, weather, farming practices, fur prices, outdoors,???

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    ive always had an interest but have yet to do it for various reasons.

but this year I bought a dozen dog proof traps for varmint / nest-predator control around my small property. we’ll see how that goes. I also got a few fur stretchers for those I may want to keep.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I do not, but I should. I have property with access to more, that is loaded with beaver, mink and muskrat. Some kind of weasel other than mink also.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I feel like this might be some sort of bait… if I answer “Yes” will I get a knock on the door from DNR?
    Don’t know what you mean by bait, but nope, just a question. DNR shouldn’t be there unless you brake the law.

ive always had an interest but have yet to do it for various reasons.

but this year I bought a dozen dog proof traps for varmint / nest-predator control around my small property. we’ll see how that goes. I also got a few fur stretchers for those I may want to keep.
    Cool, get rid of those ground robbing critters.

Fur prices are down but around here we gotta keep the coyote population down around the calving pastures.

Got 6 dozen footholds ready, permission ready, 3 trash cans of dirty traps to prep. A couple dozen snares ready, got out 48 sets, headed out as soon as coffee is done.

edit: typed this last night, then router went out.

Nite folks, early morning.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    right on! I’d love to trap coyote but there are many small properties around ours that allow their dogs to roam, I just don’t feel comfortable. I’ll try hunting later in the season but I’m mostly woodland (for now) and think that will be tough.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    You are not alone, I've been trapping for about 43 years. It was how I made money back when I was in Junior and High School. With fur prices down I am a hobby trapper these days. I do it to keep the coyote and racoon numbers down on my property and for my neighbor's. Feel free to contact me to talk all things trapping. Good luck this season.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Just the squirrels that tease my cat and chew through the fuel line on my truck. I think the little rats have
    a good sense of smell. Had this one within 10 minutes of setting the trap with peanut butter and watched it
    instantly come from across the easement.

thumbnail (6).jpg

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Welp, pulled all steel. Getting ready for water sets. Got one coyote obligation left. Not a contract just a long time gentleman’s agreement. His crops are still in there, I get deer permission in return. About 4000+ acres. 200+ hard woods on the Wabash.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I used to do a lot of trapping in the early 2000's with my Dad. Fur prices tanked around 2010 or so, and I haven't set a trap since, with the exception of the occasional problem critter for friends or relatives. I miss it every Fall, but I just can't justify the time, gas, etc. when there's no money to be made.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I used to do a lot of trapping in the early 2000's with my Dad. Fur prices tanked around 2010 or so, and I haven't set a trap since, with the exception of the occasional problem critter for friends or relatives. I miss it every Fall, but I just can't justify the time, gas, etc. when there's no money to be made.
    Sorry.

I do it from force of habit. Money ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. But I’m old, guess I can say stupid stuff. I’m looking forward to water sets, got the trap sight’s ready n traps are almost done. There is more money in fur bearing critters than the fur.

Welp, maybe the ruskies will knock there crap off and you may get the chance to pass on a skill set to your young folk that helped make us who we are today.

The hatter trade did good last year.

Heck, wouldn’t you want a nice River Otter mount? I know I do. Best to you….:thumbsup:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    All rite, feel like a kid on X-mas morn. This year I’m gonna catch my first Indiana River Otter ( I pray). I remember talking to the IDNR biologists on a State put in, on the Tippy river when they were headed out to stock the first otters in Indiana.
    Man, I’ve waited half my life for this opportunity. Any other guys out there thinking the same, best of luck to you.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    very interested in trapping but have only dabbled with little success. 1 coyote and 1 red fox many many of the other land critters opossum raccoon and 2-3 skunks. Have never done water critters but I have state land nearby that is crawling with beaver otter and muskrat.

my main issue with trapping is that I have a small property so can’t be running trap lines during deer season lol it is a lot of fun though and I wish I could do it more

Top Bottom