• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I carry wherever I go. I'm a USMC combat vet and consider myself a competent shot, and in my day was more than qualified in combat situations with a firearm.
    I've been fortunate not to have been in any situations that have required me to have to draw and use my sidearm since combat.
    I liked the repetitive training for combat. It came in handy.
    I've been wanting to find an urban combat course that will give me the same base training to hone my urban skills and situation awareness in an urban environment. I feel I'm not prepared enough in this area. I'd like to gain a good background in this area.
    Are there any urban training courses to be had around Indy or semi-close for civilians?
    Thanks,
    hmh

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Carrying a firearms as a civilian is very different than carrying as a soldier-- good on your for seeking out the continued training.

Just out the last two pages of threads here in the T&T forum. There are several course announcements that should fit the bill.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thank you.
    I'll have to do more reading and research. I didn't see exactly what I was looking to achieve.
    There's so many situations, laws, and variables I want to be prepared.
    I really don't want to get into something I can't get out of or have my life destroyed by something avoidable if possible. I'm trying to be a little smarter if that's possible for me.
    Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Combatitives and Retention from Mindset Lab looks promising. Cost is reasonable and I don't see how it couldn't help. I'll do more reading on their site.
    Thanks for the info and recommendation.
    I just don't want my life turned upside down over some P.O.S. and I could have made a smarter decision.
    I don't want the "hindsight" scenario involved. I want to know I've made the right decision and moves.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I highly recommend Mindset Lab. That class taught me that my military "mindset" is nothing but harmful in a civilian situation. I will need more training, but the Force-on-Force class established a foundation to build upon.

+ 1 million on force on force and shays classes in general. his prices are great but what he teaches you is invaluable.

SpiralTragedy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    It sounds a little like you are looking for a course incorporating a lot of the legalities of a shot. That is definately something to learn. However, if at the moment you are just looking for a strictly training course, a Combat Focus Shooting Course could be of value to you as well. Many military, law enforcement and civilians have benefited from this counter-ambush methodology. Drop me a line if you have questions or feel free to visit firstactionselfdefense.com

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The Legalities are a small part of it. I'd rather face 12 than 6.
    I'm not worried about taking the shot but more about recognizing the shot to take if necessary. More importantly how to avoid having to take the shot by keeping clear of situations as best possible. My work takes me into some dangerous areas at times and I take every precaution I know of. BUT...I need to know more and be properly trained IF and when there's no other way of defending myself.
    I'm not a hotshot looking for an opportunity to draw and fire. Just the opposite. Only as a last resort.
    The training I seek is to familiarize myself in urban/civilian situations that can possibly be avoided and IF not then I want to be comfortable and know what to do instinctively. I feel that comes from training, situational awareness, and more training.
    I don't think I'm paranoid but I feel I should be prepared for the "What IF" scenario.
    I checked out the site and I see some possible application for my required training. I do understand that I don't know exactly the training I need.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course incorporates situational awareness, urban combat training exercises (drawing from concealment, shooting from cover, shooting while moving to cover, shooting in low light conditions, etc.), and also includes a detailed discussion of Indiana law on the right to use deadly force in self defense.

Check out Tactical Firearms Training, LLC. Click on the "training" button for full course descriptions.

Guy

SpiralTragedy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Bravo Zulu on what you have recognized so far.

"Through realistic a frequent training on can use the power of recognition to be more efficient during a Dynamic Critical Incident." - Warrior Expert Theory

This comes from the fact that studies have shown that experienced professionals (SWAT Cops) responded differently in force on force training than newer less experienced professionals. (This is Recognition vs. Processing) The theory above is actually thousands of years old but it had never been articulated in the way it is now and applied to shooting.

I want to drive home a point. You said you want to know what to do instinctively. I want to correct this. You want to know what to do intuitively. An instinctive reaction is something that is hardwired in the body. (This leads to a study of the Body's Natural Reactions.) An intuitive response is learned. This is not arbitrary terminology. It is important how you understand and think about things. When we say something is "hardwired" that is not just phrasing. There is a cluster of neurons in the brain called the Amygdala that is responsible. The science in the program is the reason why. So now you are not facing, "I was ex-military or law enforcement and I think you should do things this way." Of course no one actually says it that way. So my point is the use of correct terminology creates a path that you can trace back to the reasons why you are training the way you are training. This efficiency will not just help you develop yourself into the shooter you want to be but will reinforce the true fact that the goal is to get out of the situation. The gun just happens to be how you express your will.

Top Bottom